February 2013 Moms

Am I the only one?

We found out on Monday that we are having a little girl. That's fantastic news to a family that has all boys and knowing this is the last baby makes it even sweeter. 

This morning, I was in the shower getting ready for work and I started thinking about all of DS's baby clothes that I have been hoarding. I no longer have a use for those clothes because this baby isn't a boy. But when I started to think about giving his clothes away, it made me really really sad to the point of actual tears. I don't want to give them away. They were supposed to be for 'the next baby' and those are MY baby's clothes. 

How do you move past it and let things go? DS was my first child if that makes any difference.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Am I the only one?

• Let your daughter wear some "boy" clothes I guess? I'm sure he's got to have some stuff that's relatively gender neutral, right? I'd like to have a second eventually, so my strategy has been to save all gender neutral clothing as well as my favorite "girly" stuff in case hypothetical second child is a girl.

I'm sure you'll want to get some cute girly stuff for your new LO, but I'm equally sure she won't mind wearing her brothers hand me downs as well, at least for the first year or two!

• @puck1182 you are too kind. Yes I probably will pick out a few of his gender neutral items but the whole idea that really none of it will be used for this baby (when I was intending on it) makes me sad. It might be the extra pregnancy hormones but I really don't want to give his things away.

• Loading the player...
  • That makes sense. As much as I always said I'd like one of each, a part of me hopes that when we go for a second child, it'll be a girl so we can reuse everything, so I get it. ;-)

• RosebeanRosebean member
    edited January 2015
    I wonder if you can find someone who does what a lady does here locally- she makes teddy bears out of their favourite pyjamas... Or it would be your favourite pyjamas. I am thinking of doing this. But I am totally an el cheapo. DD just moved onto 6 month size clothing, and I have totally reaped through DS' old pyjamas and I am slapping those on her. I mean, it's - freezing below. By the time I put a cute hoodie on her and some blankets, no one can see her in boys PJs unless I dress her up special for a nice outting. And who cares what she sleeps in... She usually blows out of it before we can leave the house anyways. 

And not to be all anti-pink, but I make an effort to find girl clothes that aren't pink. I don't wear pink, and I know I am a girl (PS, I don't wear pink because I am a red head. Super hard to find a nice pink that actually looks good with my hair and complexion). So, I try to find soft greens, blues and purples/ greys that are feminine. If I receive a pink gift, she still wears it and we are ever thankful. I just don't want to open up her drawers and see her drowning in it. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Let me know when you figure this out because I am not sure I will ever be able to get rid of baby clothes lol.  Do you HAVE to get rid of them?  Because if not, I don't see why you need to do anything about them right now.  Maybe at some point down the road you will feel like you just don't need those little clothes around to complete your life. 

Or maybe consider making a quilt with some of your favorite boy clothes?  I've found that I am having a hard time reusing DS1's clothes for this new little boy coming.  I'm using the "they are opposite seasons" excuse to buy new stuff.  Luckily I have a very understanding DH LOL.

Declan 2.21.2013
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 6.22.2015

BabyFruit Ticker

• @uncaripswife, you are right. That's how I thought I would feel when it came time to give his stuff away so that I can finally declutter. But I am finding out that I really don't want to let go.

• I'm hording. I probably won't get rid of anything nice until after I go through menopause, lol! Of course, I don't save stained or torn items, just the nicer ones. But I'll probably bawl my eyes out when I start getting rid of baby stuff.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• I already feel that way and we're not even TTC. I have a feeling that fades with time and eventually you just can't take the clutter anymore. Or, you find someone really needs his clothes and they are going to a good home. I totally understand where you're coming from. There's no rush! Do it when you're ready!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
  • You're not the only one. I meticulously organized and stored DD's clothes by size and season, and in my head was ready to pull them all out for the next girl. I'm incredibly happy and excited that we are having a boy next month, but I'm weirdly sad about her clothes! We unfortunately had a loss of a little boy before DD, so I'm pretty well prepared clothing wise for this little guy. I will just have to find someone having a girl locally...a girl in my office has her anatomy scan next week, so hopefully if she has a girl I can unload them on her and still get to see a little one in them :)
  • @stephpeth that's exactly how I feel. In my head these clothes were going to the next boy except now, there is no next boy. I don't want to let them go....not even to a super close friend due with her 1st baby and its a boy two days before me.

• I'm in the same boat!  ((hugs))   >:D<
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Baby BROTHER is on the way! ~ EDD 6/12/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Up until a few weeks ago, I still had all of dds clothes. I went through her 2t stuff, I kept some favorites and donated the rest.
  • We've kept some of our favourite DD1 outfits tucked away, even DD2 won't wear those ones. I guess so much of the stuff is hand me downs anyway I'm not as attached.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Save all the little stuff as doll clothes! Anything 6 months would easily fit a decent size doll.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"