October 2014 Moms

Safe Swaddling

So M just learned how to roll from back to tummy. I was not expecting this yet. My swaddles that I ordered from amazon are due to arrive tomorrow, but is it even safe to swaddle him any more?

Just when I thought we might get some good sleep... sad trombone...

Re: Safe Swaddling

• Loading the player...
  • We switched to the magic sleep suit when this started happening and now he doesn't really roll over anymore.
    PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
  • Thanks lady's - I must have missed the last thread.
  • I put two rolled up blankets in the crib on either side of him so he can't roll. If we don't swaddle, his startle reflex wakes him up within minutes and then no one sleeps. Can't wait until he grows out of that.
  • I was curious about this too. We swaddle him right now because he startles so easily but he's starting to try to roll over. Swaddling with arms out doesnt help him much because his arms are what wakes him. I'm hoping he grows out of that soon too. Good luck!

Married: 7/9/11

TTC Since: 10/13

EDD: 10/29/14

• @Nicb13‌...the underlined part...holy shit?!?! Really? So the rec was to keep babes from rolling by putting rolled up blankets on either side? We do that already even though she's swaddled just to mimic the coziness of the RNP.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Nicb13‌ - That's what my pedi said also... Since I can't stay awake 24/7 (although it feels like I am) to watch if he rolls over I just wasn't sure how we'd get sleep.

He's really good about sleeping flat so I'm trying to keep that up, but I think he's going back into the PnP for now until I can get his arms out of the swaddle without him waking up flailing them.
  • I think it's the best time to switch to a sleep sack, even work great for tummy sleepers. We use a baby deedee and LO looks super cute
  • Yup. Same boat. DS learned to roll well yesterday from back to belly, so even though I had tried several times to wean him of the swaddle, it didn't work and now we're going cold turkey. He was finally doing well flat, but he's in the bouncer right now to be cozier. Last night I tried the sleep sack and he flipped the eff out. Moving all his limbs. So I swaddled him with one arm out. When he went to sleep I took the other arm out. After each feeding it was harder to get him back to sleep(he used to just be out) I had to hold his arms to his sides until he was really asleep. Maybe tonight will be better? I think the swaddle was still cozier (for his body) than the sleep sack and therefore more calming.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic 

baby development

• Fingers crossed.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic 

baby development

• Ok - I feel like I missed something - but just my two cents (sorry I've been gone for awhile and just ocming back - when you have two kids and work sometimes community is hit and miss :( ) - If they can roll - let them roll.  The best sleep I got out of my first was when she finally figured out how to roll back to front - she'd lay down - flip and SLEEEEEEEP.  To my knowledge there is no reason to keep them on their backs if they can roll on their own.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ok - I feel like I missed something - but just my two cents (sorry I've been gone for awhile and just ocming back - when you have two kids and work sometimes community is hit and miss :( ) - If they can roll - let them roll.  The best sleep I got out of my first was when she finally figured out how to roll back to front - she'd lay down - flip and SLEEEEEEEP.  To my knowledge there is no reason to keep them on their backs if they can roll on their own.

It is a very bad idea to let a swaddled baby sleep on their stomach. It's a suffocation risk.

M is now 5 1/2 months old and sleeps on his tummy all the time because he is just in his onesie jammies and his arms are free. This was not the case when I originally posted just over 2 months ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"