High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Fetal Echocardiogram

I tried posting on my month's board with no luck. I am not technically considered high risk...or least as of now but...

I have a congenital  heart defect and up until now no one has had high concern about it since I was a child. This will be my second pregnancy, the first ended in an early miscarriage. After speaking with my OB at my first visit she wanted me to have a consult with an adult cardiologist. So I went there today and the cardiologist has ordered an echo-cardiogram for myself next week and a fetal echo-cardiogram in a few weeks. Curious to know if anyone else has had a fetal echo-cardiogram and what they thought of it.

Re: Fetal Echocardiogram

• Options
    I had one with my last and now one with this pregnancy due to a family history of heart defects. It's an ultrasound you lay on the table for an hour while they take an up close look at your babies heart. It's seems valid considering you have a defect.
    6 m/c
    Anovulatory cycles, increased Synthroid Diagnosed Sep 2010
    Natural cycle Dec 2010 BFP M/C 6 1/2 Weeks, D&E Jan 2011
    1 Clomid/Ovidrel BFN May 2011
    Natural cycle Aug 2011 BFP M/C 4 Weeks
    1 IUI Sept 2011 BFP M/c 7 weeks
    Provera Dec 2011 BFP M/C 3 Weeks
    DQ ALPHA HLA MATCH, High NK Cells Diagnosed Dec 2011
    IVF March 2012 BFP m/c 4weeks 5 days (IL, Prednisone)
    IVF#2w/DS July 2012 MEGA FAILURE BFN (IL, Dexamethasone)
    Diagnosed No real HLA Match, DQ Beta Triad, High TNF, Low NK Cells
    Oct 2012 Natural Cycle m/c 4wks (Lovenox, Prednisone) 
    Went to Beer Center- high tnf, low lad, implantation failure
    Nov/Dec 2012 LIT Treatment
    Dec 12 Humira
    Jan 2013 BFP
    Humira,LIT,Prednisone, Lovenox, IVIG, Baby Aspirin
    Miracle Born August 2013 Premature

Yours doesn't have to be a sad story

Lilypie - (ugiy)

• Options
    I had one with my last pg. it was a really long ultra sound. My Mfm only did them at the end of day and booked it for about 1.5 hours. She doesn't like to be rushed and the baby has to be in a certain position.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not too concerned I think I'm just confused on why my OB didn't have any concern the first time around but is concerned now. Oh well it just means I get to see baby more!
  • Options
    I had one with this pregnancy, just like PP said, it is just a longer ultrasound. I too have a heart problem so they did it more as a precaution to see if the baby would have the same problems I did at birth and all was well. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I had one at 22 weeks as recommended by MFM for increased NT measurement. It was really nbd. Took a little over an hour mainly because the u/s tech was newer and struggling a bit. We met with cardiologist immediately afterwards to discuss results as well.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Im carrying a baby with a Congenital heart defect and I have fetal echoes done twice a week at this point because his heart defect is causing him some serious complications. The fetal echo is no big deal. Just like an ultrasound.. Mine are only about 15-20 minutes long at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia with a consult with the fetal cardiologist afterwards. The initial one was about 45 minutes for me, but the tech there only does these cases so I'm sure she was a bit faster since she's done this all day long every day for years now. I wish you the best of luck. :smile: it'll all be okay! Sounds just precautionary considering your miscarriage with the last one. Good luck to you and your baby :smiley:
  • Options
    I am also carrying a baby with a heart condition. And have gone to CHOP for my fetal echo. We have only had 1 so far and are scheduled for our 2nd in 2 weeks. Like everyone else said it's basically another ultrasound however it just concentrates on the heart. They do measurements and look at blood flow etc. It takes usually about an hour. Then you meet with dr. To go over what they saw or didn't see. Best of luck to you.
  • Options
    I don't have anything else to add that hasn't been said, just wanted to send my best wishes.
  • Options
    My sister had a congenital heart defect so I'm having a fetal echocardiogram in about a month. I was told it's just an in-depth ultrasound where they focus specifically on the heart. Chances are slim that this baby has a heart defect, but I guess it's better safe than sorry.
  • Options
    I have had one with each of my DSs bc my brother has a congenital heart defect. It's not much different then a regular ultrasound. I had to have it done during the 22nd week. That they are very strict on.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"