March 2015 Moms
Options

Another March birthday in the family

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere else; apologies if this has been discussed. 

My son turns 2 March 18th and I'm due March 25th. I want to throw him a birthday party (not that he'll know or care), and I'm pondering which timing makes the most sense. My son was born 3 weeks early, so I feel like having a party near his actual birth date is out. Right now I'm leaning towards having something in mid/end of April.  My thoughts are that the baby should be born, I should be feeling okay-ish, and it's not too too far away from his actual birthday. The problem is that between both sides of the family, it will be a bigger get together. I'm not sure that I'll be up for it and I'd rather not expose my little baby to all the germs. I could try to host something at the end of February or later into May.  Lucky he'll only be 2 so I can do what will work best for my husband and I. Since I'm so indecisive about this, I thought I'd see if anybody else is in the same boat or if anyone has any brilliant insight. Basically, what you would do? Thanks!
Due March 25, 2015!

BabyFruit Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Another March birthday in the family

• Options
    3 wks early is really early for a 1st time mom - I'd call it a fluke! Doesn't mean it'll happen again -- my cousin had her first at 35 weeks, 2nd at 41 weeks.

Point is, have the party a week or so early. Keep it simple/small. You might just not be able to do a giant family gathering for his 2nd b-day, b/c you're having a baby! Everyone will understand & this seems like something you should let go. Don't add stress. You said it yourself - your toddler won't care.
  • Options
    LO is due March 24th and DS birthday is 4/14. I am having kind of an inner dilemma just because I don't know how to make sure that the focus of his birthday is on him. He's going to be 4, so he will notice a difference if everyone is swooning over LO. DH and I are planning to do something at like Chuck E Cheese or something so I don't have to cook or clean up. That is always an option too! Do something small before his birthday and before LO comes so that he has the attention of family focused on him, and somewhere you don't have to have a mass amount of clean up after. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah, my first pregnancy was a total mess so I'm not too too worried about the 3 weeks early thing, it's just another factor floating around in my brain. Maybe last week in Feb or first week of March will work best. I don't know if we'll be able to downsize the party though. Having a 2nd bday party is a lot more for the family than it is for him.  Maybe doing it earlier will work well since the family might cut me some slack because I'm pregnant haha. 
    Due March 25, 2015!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We are in the same boat-ish. We are having ds's party a week early and going low key. I didn't want to move his birthday latee because then it becomes the babies fault. He is going to be 5 so he would know.
  • Options
    dreyes4dreyes4 member
    edited January 2015
    Im actually due the day before my sons 6th birthday. March 31st. I have been thinking the same thing. hes excited that his little sister may have the same birthdays as him. But i also just dont know how we'll do the birthday. Hes also wanting it at Chuck-E-Cheese. So i say we will porbably do it a couple of weeks before so that i dont have to worry about the postpartum things.
  • Options
    bmstee03 said:
    We are in the same boat-ish. We are having ds's party a week early and going low key. I didn't want to move his birthday latee because then it becomes the babies fault. He is going to be 5 so he would know.
    ohhh 5 is tricky! I like your plan though. Sounds like I should do my best to keep it small and simple. 

How far along will you be at the time of the party? I'm worried about being whale-like and bitchy (worse than normal). 
    Due March 25, 2015!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I would also either do a late Feb or early March date. Keep it simple- just a house party, with a few decorations and a pot luck. 

I've been thinking about DD's birthday too- but thank god her birthday isn't until the end of May..plenty of time to recoup from having a baby. 

Good luck! 

image image
    imageimage
  • Options
    February 28th is calling to me right now.  My husband travels a lot for work, so we'll need to figure that out but we'd face that in April or May too. 

I'm thinking pizza and pot luck at the house; keep it simple, even if a ton of people do end up showing up. 
    Due March 25, 2015!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    February 28th is calling to me right now.  My husband travels a lot for work, so we'll need to figure that out but we'd face that in April or May too. 

I'm thinking pizza and pot luck at the house; keep it simple, even if a ton of people do end up showing up. 
    You could also try to set different times for different family members if space is an issue. Have your family come from 11-1, and DH's family from 1-3. Just a thought. 

image image
    imageimage
  • Options
    cafecreme said:

You could also try to set different times for different family members if space is an issue. Have your family come from 11-1, and DH's family from 1-3. Just a thought. 
    I'm worry about crankiness - my son, myself, my husband. I had though about two smaller parties but then realized that that idea is pure madness. I wish that it was nice outside in February in Michigan so that I could force people outside, but that wont be an option (barring any unexpected heat waves).  I just need to grow up and either need to deal with a bigger party or keep it smaller. The one good thing is that we live a little over an hour from most of the family so we might lose some of the lazy ones who don't want to drive. There is also the chance that we'll get a ton of snow and no one will show up haha. Too many factors to consider. I should just pick a date, send some invites and roll with it :)
    Due March 25, 2015!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My sons third bday is on the 26th and I'm due on the 25th. I'm just going to wing it. I'll plan for around his bday but if I have the baby I will just postpone until I feel like it. Both my kids were 2-2.5 wks early.
  • Options
    I would probably plan a party a week or 2 before his actual birthday. I think you're more likely to enjoy yourself and the party toward the end of your pregnancy, than with a newborn. Plus all those people around the new baby... No thanks.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I don't think anyone in your family will expect much from you late in your pregnancy or within a couple of months of having a new baby, and if they do, they're insane.  I'd suggest sheet cake and pizza / Chinese food / pot luck at home, or meeting up at a restaurant (my family has all birthday meals in a restaurant - minimal preparations to organize, and no cleanup!). That said, you mention this being a larger group, so I'm not sure if either option is truly viable.  

• Options
    My dd will be 5 on March 13 and my due date is March 16, I'm planning on doing something fun with her the day if her birthday. We will plan a small party sometime in April for family and friends. Honestly in your situation a 2 year old will not know the difference.
  • Options
    Both my boys are in March also the oldest turns 9 on the 31st and the youngest turns 7 on the 10th I'm due the 7th but having another c section Feb 27th, we have already told them no parties with friends that it will be just family, a small gathering, but we haven't decided when or what exactly we will be doing. It's tricky time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"