October 2014 Moms

SAHM's of 2+

How are yall doing naps for LO? I'm having a super tough time with this. DS is 19 months old, DD 14 weeks tomorrow. I keep trying but it's so hard, she's awake more now and doesn't just sleep anywhere anymore. LO is basically only sleeping when I'm BFing her if he's awake. He's being a typical busy boy. She won't sleep in swing or bouncer with him around bc he's so loud, then she's overtired and cranky. Plus, I think the lack of daytime sleep is affecting her nighttime sleep or lack there of.

I tried rocking her to sleep in crib. And DS is shoving books in her face, pulling clothes out of drawers, pulling diapers out, taking nursing stool from under my feet, messing with trash can, chasing dog, and all around screaming/whining. Therefor, no eyes close and no sleep at all.

I feel so lost, she needs to sleep and I can't get it. She is only getting 1 decent chunk when he's sleeping which is from 1-3/4 pm. And I know it's not enough for her. I'd like for a nap in am and one in pm for her. So I can have some alone time with DS. And then when he sleeps alone time with her. But ultimately, I'd just like for her to nap so we can sleep at night!

Any help?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: SAHM's of 2+

• My DS1 is 3 so things are a bit different here; but if he's distracting DS2 from falling asleep I will usually offer him the iPad or my phone to play with while I try to get the little guy down for a nap.

Is that an option for you?
  • DS2 naps in the ergo in the mornings while I get some cleaning and homeschooling done. In the afternoon when DS1 takes his nap, DS2 will sometimes sleep too. I'll lay with him and just relax.

Have you considered looking for some quiet toys for DS that would keep him happily occupied while you get LO down for a nap? Will he color, play with playdoh, look at books, or do puzzles (or, dare I say, watch TV)? Just long enough for you to get LO to sleep.

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • TV shows are all I've got. I usually try to find a double episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse in case putting baby down takes longer than the usual 24 minute show. I try to save TV for when I really need it so that it will hold his interest.

If that doesn't work, I walk baby to sleep in the beco while DS1 plays and then once he's finally out I transfer him to his crib or the PNP.
    PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
  • We use a sound machine here and have it at a good volume so it drowns pretty much everything else out.
  • Could let him use my iPhone, we started letting him play games (like animal noises etc) since he turned 18 months.

I'm going to talk to hubby about getting him to move swing into her room. Her room is the coldest in the house so if have to turn on a space heater to keep her warm. She sleeps in our room til it's warmer. We plan to put our house on market and move by fall.

He doesn't watch tv. It's not we don't let him. His attention span/focus isn't there. I think he's still too young. He's too interested in everything else. He won't sit to watch more than 2 min of Sesame Street or dinosaur train.

He doesn't understand quiet. I've been trying because his screaming (happy screams, fun playing) upsets the baby when she's BFing.

The ergo is a great idea. She does like to sleep in it. Maybe I can just have her in it and try to play with DS. Crayons end up being eaten as with playdoh. Ha.

I like the idea of moving to another room once she's asleep in swing.

Thanks for the ideas ladies. Going to be trying some this week. We were up 4x last night. Mama needs her sleep. And some sanity.

• @TheFutureMrs.O‌ I also had a problem with DS's volume(just in general, not because of LO). Then I remembered something I had learned during my time as a day care teacher. Children will mimic the volume around them. Keep the volume on the tv low, as well as your voice, and any other noise making items (such as radio). If you whisper, or speak quietly, they too will do the same. Now, I'm not saying this wasn't a challenge. I certainly figured out where DS got his loud voice from as I tried to consciously quiet mine. But after a couple days of only speaking quietly I noticed DS following suit.
  • Could let him use my iPhone, we started letting him play games (like animal noises etc) since he turned 18 months.

I'm going to talk to hubby about getting him to move swing into her room. Her room is the coldest in the house so if have to turn on a space heater to keep her warm. She sleeps in our room til it's warmer. We plan to put our house on market and move by fall.

He doesn't watch tv. It's not we don't let him. His attention span/focus isn't there. I think he's still too young. He's too interested in everything else. He won't sit to watch more than 2 min of Sesame Street or dinosaur train.

He doesn't understand quiet. I've been trying because his screaming (happy screams, fun playing) upsets the baby when she's BFing.

The ergo is a great idea. She does like to sleep in it. Maybe I can just have her in it and try to play with DS. Crayons end up being eaten as with playdoh. Ha.

I like the idea of moving to another room once she's asleep in swing.

Thanks for the ideas ladies. Going to be trying some this week. We were up 4x last night. Mama needs her sleep. And some sanity.

Yeah, I missed your little guy's age. Mine was the same way with tv until after he was two. Nothing would hold his interest for more than 5 minutes, except football games ironically. Now he'd watch hours of children's television if we'd let him. Hopefully some of the other tricks will help. Good luck!
    PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"