Toddlers: 24 Months+

Trouble at Bed Time

My daughter turned 2 in September (so she's 28 months).  She has always been very good at bedtime, she lets us get her ready, climbs into bed, and sleeps all night without problems...  However, the last month or so that has changed a little... 

When it's time to get changed for bed, she just goes wild..  She will bounce around, run around, jump around, etc... She won't cooperate and I have trouble getting her under control..  I end up basically holding her still in my lap (I just wrap my arms around her to hold her still) and get her a little calmer so I can get her pajamas on her.  Once we make it through that ordeal, she gives us hugs & kisses, lets me tuck her into bed, and then sleeps all night like normal... 

It may not sound like a big ordeal, but it takes me a good 30 minutes just to get the pajamas on her and it's physically/mentally draining to fight like that every night..

Any ideas?  I would appreciate any feedback

Re: Trouble at Bed Time

• I agree about putting her to bed in her clothes. Honestly, as long as they've gone to the bathroom/changed diaper and brushed teeth everything else is sort of irrelevant. So if she says no to getting pjs on I'd say fine. Or let her do it herself? DS is also 28 mos and wants to get himself dressed. He can't do it 100% but if he thinks he's going it he is more cooperative.

Is she not tired at bedtime and needs to go to sleep later? Or do you think she's just stalling? I also tell my kids if they get in pjs quickly we can read 2 stories before bed. But if they do not listen we won't read one.
  • Nicb13 said:

ashiscute said:

I agree about putting her to bed in her clothes. Honestly, as long as they've gone to the bathroom/changed diaper and brushed teeth everything else is sort of irrelevant. So if she says no to getting pjs on I'd say fine. Or let her do it herself? DS is also 28 mos and wants to get himself dressed. He can't do it 100% but if he thinks he's going it he is more cooperative.

Is she not tired at bedtime and needs to go to sleep later? Or do you think she's just stalling? I also tell my kids if they get in pjs quickly we can read 2 stories before bed. But if they do not listen we won't read one.

Not me. If I say that DS needs to do something, he needs to do it. I realize that jammies aren't a huge deal, but I wouldn't let him go to bed in his clothes simply because he refused to do what I asked and jammies are something easy. That could lead to a whole lot of push back in other areas.

It's like brushing his hair. He hates when I have to wet it down and brush it but too bad... mommy needs to brush your hair so it's non-negotiable!

I see what you mean but for the OP I don't think this is a battle worth fighting.

On a side note i don't think I've ever brushed DS's hair. Is that something I should be doing?
  • Loading the player...
  • DD is almost 2 and responds really well when she's doing stuff for herself and I make a huge deal about it with "GOOD JOB!!!"  She's more apt to do stuff I want her to do with praise instead of me getting frustrated with her.  This is sometimes a challenge for me.  After just 10 minutes of fighting over PJ time I'd probably be ready for a drink and a smoke.
  • Is it possible she's overtired?  Has her nap schedule or overall sleeping schedule changed in the last month? 

I would start the bedtime process WAY earlier and try and get her in her PJs before the bedtime crazies start.  Get her all ready for bed significantly before bedtime, and then try to do quiet activities like stories for the last half-hour before bedtime to encourage winding down (or even if she gets the bedtime crazies still, at least she'll be in Pjs with brushed teeth so you can at least avoid the struggle part of it for you.)  GL

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"