February 2013 Moms

Facebook question

I am not on facebook.  I just don't like the idea of my stuff being out there for everyone to see, and I know I could setup blocks and all but I also don't need the time suck, and anyway DH is on FB so I use his account to see pics of my friends' families, so that is good enough.

The problem is that I am missing out on stuff in my neighborhood.  Like all the moms will plan a night out, and I'm out of the loop unless someone remembers to email or text me about it. 

So, I am thinking of setting up an account, but it would be a dummy account with a "fake" name just so that I can friend the neighborhood women.  Does this make sense or is this a stupid idea?  Other pros/cons from you guys who know FB better than me?

 




 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker


"You reach deeper until you can find the strength.  That's all life is, one big fight after another."

Angel babies: 9/19/07, 10/08/09, 1/05/11

Re: Facebook question

  • I set up fb account for dd1 because she likes to play games. But I wanted to protect her identity, so we used her first name and my last name, instead of hers. (And imagine my shock when I learned there were three other Ceilidh R(last name)!!!) But she also doesn't have a real pic up- we used a Frozen pic instead. I also limit her posting, liking, etc... But that is because she's a kid.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

    Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

                                   Lilypie - (2q9u)


  • Well, the thing is, you'll probably get linked in to people anyway.  Like, maybe DH will friend you, and then everyone you both know will "friend you", etc.  I am on, but I use a picture that doesn't show me close up and don't ever post anything.  I am only friends with people who find me.  That makes for a weird set of people, but it does help me follow what is going on in my moms group and keeps me slightly more aware of what is going on in my hometown.  If the moms in your neighborhood use it to communicate about plans, you may just have to suck it up and join.  I don't think whether you use your name or not is really going to matter.
  •     
  • Using fake names is really popular over here. Of the 15 people I did my MA with, I think maybe 5 of them are on FB with their real names. 

    I have no clue whether it actually helps, I mean, if you don't post pictures or personal data, then all they would have is your name and the fact that you're on FB (and if they hacked your account they could have your e-mail address). I guess the only thing that could happen is people could start tagging you and then your real name could be linked to pictures or events you participated it.

    BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

  • kelly321 said:
    Using fake names is really popular over here. Of the 15 people I did my MA with, I think maybe 5 of them are on FB with their real names. 

    I have no clue whether it actually helps, I mean, if you don't post pictures or personal data, then all they would have is your name and the fact that you're on FB (and if they hacked your account they could have your e-mail address). I guess the only thing that could happen is people could start tagging you and then your real name could be linked to pictures or events you participated it.
    Interesting.  What kind of names do they use?
     




     

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker


    "You reach deeper until you can find the strength.  That's all life is, one big fight after another."

    Angel babies: 9/19/07, 10/08/09, 1/05/11

  •     
  • My DH's Anglo-Polish cousin went by Ro.ul (not his real last name) on Facebook.  [Period added by me].  He has a very English traditional and common first and last name, but for some reason-- which I always found extremely weird-- went by this very Italian-Spanish name.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

    Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

                                   Lilypie - (2q9u)


    fignewt74
  • fignewt74 said:
    kelly321 said:
    Using fake names is really popular over here. Of the 15 people I did my MA with, I think maybe 5 of them are on FB with their real names. 

    I have no clue whether it actually helps, I mean, if you don't post pictures or personal data, then all they would have is your name and the fact that you're on FB (and if they hacked your account they could have your e-mail address). I guess the only thing that could happen is people could start tagging you and then your real name could be linked to pictures or events you participated it.
    Interesting.  What kind of names do they use?
    Often (but not always) their first names will be the same and they just use a different last name. One friend, for example, uses the English translation of his German last name. The others just use words like "Jane Happy" or "Jane Jungle" or something. 

    BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

  •     
  • kelly321 said:


    fignewt74 said:


    kelly321 said:

    Using fake names is really popular over here. Of the 15 people I did my MA with, I think maybe 5 of them are on FB with their real names. 


    I have no clue whether it actually helps, I mean, if you don't post pictures or personal data, then all they would have is your name and the fact that you're on FB (and if they hacked your account they could have your e-mail address). I guess the only thing that could happen is people could start tagging you and then your real name could be linked to pictures or events you participated it.
    Interesting.  What kind of names do they use?

    Often (but not always) their first names will be the same and they just use a different last name. One friend, for example, uses the English translation of his German last name. The others just use words like "Jane Happy" or "Jane Jungle" or something. 

    I've heard of people with super common name doing that — like Jane Smith might.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

    Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

                                   Lilypie - (2q9u)


  • I guess the thing about using my real name is, I mean, I am very popular so this is going to be a problem for me (just kidding!)...but lets just say I friend one of my neighbors and she happens to be friends with someone from my work.  They can see who she is friends with right?  So now they are asking me for a friend request, etc etc etc...  That is the stuff I am trying to avoid. 

    Thoughts?

     




     

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker


    "You reach deeper until you can find the strength.  That's all life is, one big fight after another."

    Angel babies: 9/19/07, 10/08/09, 1/05/11

    [Deleted User]kleigh926
  •     
  • Sagen said:
    If you use it only, only add a couple mom friends, and don't add info or pics I am not sure why it would be bad to use your own name. Someone googles you, sees your name on FB, they can't see your account, if you don't have a profile pic they can't see you at all. Setting up who can see what takes minutes, and wasting time on there is up to you, if you are friends with only a handful of people, your feed will be minimal anyhow. You could always use a secret name, but I don't see using your real name as a risk in anyway.
    I know a lot of people that have profiles, but they have their name set to something funky so people cannot Google them and find their profile. LIke my police officer friend changed his last name so they couldn't see him and my friend opening a day car center had her name something so off the wall. So I think you can easily do one and have it as random as you want it to be and use it for as little as you need it. My bff is a teacher and refused to add anyone to her friends for years and had it super blocked until she got more used to FB and all the settings.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
    image
    [Deleted User]
  • My BMB from Sept 2011 moved to FB and we have a few people who use fake names.  I don't think it's a big deal.

    I would start a secret group for your neighborhood moms.  Then you don't even have to be friends with the moms, everyone just posts in the group.  No one can see the group who isn't in the group.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

    Baby BROTHER is on the way! ~ EDD 6/12/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  •     
  • Here's another thought, start a neighborhood group for the mom's and use your husband account!
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

    Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

                                   Lilypie - (2q9u)


    fignewt74
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards