October 2014 Moms

Question re: pumping bottles at work

I have a question for breastfeeding moms who have returned to work and are now pumping.

Assuming you are using a double electric and pumping both sides at once, how do you work the bottle situation? Can you combine the two bottles into one after each session and then stash the empty bottle with the other used pump parts in the fridge to use next time? Or is that a no-no? I go back to work next week and am trying to get prepared. Not sure how many bottles I'll need to bring with me each day, etc. If you could share your daily pumping routine or any other tips it would be very much appreciated! :)

Re: Question re: pumping bottles at work

• I have no idea if this is a no no... but here is what I do

I take (4) 5oz bottles with me - I pump twice.  I usually get 4-5 oz out of one breast and 2-3 out of the other. I put both in the fridge. Next pump I take a new bottle and pump again into the 2-3 oz bottle since there is still room. I do this sometimes. Otherwise I use all 4 bottles.  I keep my milk stored in the bottles when I send to my MILs the next day and rotate the bottles as I go.

On the pump parts, I do wipe them and then put into the fridge till next pump
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image
  • I only pump twice and I use a manual so I use two bottles. But I carry three so that I have extra just in case

• Loading the player...
  • I pump into bottles then transfer into appropriately sized storage bags for one feeding. I combine milk at room temperature so it mixes, then refrigerate the bottles for the next session and repeat.

This is how I do it.

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• MrsTinMKE said:

I have no idea if this is a no no... but here is what I do

I take (4) 5oz bottles with me - I pump twice.  I usually get 4-5 oz out of one breast and 2-3 out of the other. I put both in the fridge. Next pump I take a new bottle and pump again into the 2-3 oz bottle since there is still room. I do this sometimes. Otherwise I use all 4 bottles.  I keep my milk stored in the bottles when I send to my MILs the next day and rotate the bottles as I go.

I'm no expert, but I think you aren't supposed to mix warm and cold BM together. Emerald or Theresa might know.
    That's right. Adding warm milk to cold can cause bacteria growth. It's ok to mix if both are cold.
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• sabby2 said:
    I have no idea if this is a no no... but here is what I do

I'm no expert, but I think you aren't supposed to mix warm and cold BM together. Emerald or Theresa might know.
    That's right. Adding warm milk to cold can cause bacteria growth. It's ok to mix if both are cold.
    Gotcha.  I will stop doing that.  I wasn't sure. Thought I had read at one time that this is what others where doing. Thank you!

View Full Size Image
  • @sabby2‌ Does this apply to one refrigerated bottle and one freshly pumped bottle?
    January siggy contest - Snow Fail
  • I didn't know I/we was suppose to put the parts in the fridge until next use. I was just going to wash with hot water, dry and use them again for next time.
  • CNJ4EVACNJ4EVA member
    edited January 2015
    BeckyMont said:
    I didn't know I/we was suppose to put the parts in the fridge until next use. I was just going to wash with hot water, dry and use them again for next time.

If you're washing the parts, you don't need to refrigerate them. That's only for those who aren't able/don't have time to wash parts in between pumps, or that choose to refrigerate over doing multiple washes.

Edit typos and added last line.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I pump into bottles then transfer into appropriately sized storage bags for one feeding. I combine milk at room temperature so it mixes, then refrigerate the bottles for the next session and repeat.
    I second this. 
    O14 January Signature Challenge- Snow Fails

• @sabby2‌ Does this apply to one refrigerated bottle and one freshly pumped bottle?

I think so. @theresat858 your input?
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• @theresat858‌ What do you use the wipes for then?
    January siggy contest - Snow Fail
  • During an 8 hour shift I pump twice. I use a double "pumper". However I don't use bottles. I use storage bags which I pump directly into them each session. I pump both sides takes me 15 sometimes 20 minutes to get 8oz on righty and 6oz on lefty. My right one is always the over achiever. Because of that I have to open a third bag and pour some into there because I can't close the bag, it's too full of milk, and my bags can only hold 5oz. Long story short my ending out put of 14oz of milk each session gets split into three bags. I freeze it at work bring them home then add it to my abundance of frozen milk storage bags that I have going on in my freezer. Which btw I'm so full and packed out in there I wish I had a deep freezer. Can't buy any frozen groceries to put in there because my milk bank is taking up all available space. Dh is not to happy about that.
  • Thanks for the advice @theresat858. I was just reading about the donation process this past weekend. Sounds interesting. I've tried to pump less my chest just hurts so bad I can't take the pain. I should of ask Santa (my mom) to bring me a deep freezer this past xmas. Instead I got a pnp. :-(
  • Ive only been back to work for one day, but I took 2-8oz bottles and 2-5 oz bottles.. first pump, I pumped to 8oz bottle, second pump into the 8 oz bottle and I wound up having to pump a third time (in 12 hours) and used a 5 oz bottle. I also took my hand pump and pumped in thr car in the parking lot when I got to work, so for 12 hours I pumped 17oz which replaced the 16oz she consumed while I was gone. When I work two days in a row, whatever I pump at work on day one will be for the next day. When I dont work two in a row, what I pump goes to the freezer. Pumped about every four hours.
  • Thank you to everyone who responded! You lady's rock. :)
  • All you ladies make me jealous...I pump 3 times a day at work but only get 2-3 oz each time total...I'm almost out of my frozen supply because DS is eating more than I can pump
  • All you ladies make me jealous...I pump 3 times a day at work but only get 2-3 oz each time total...I'm almost out of my frozen supply because DS is eating more than I can pump
    Can you pump before or after work? I have to pump when I first wake up and again on my way home from work. So my pump schedule looks like this: 4/4:30am, nurse DS at 6am, 9am, 11:30am, 2pm, and 5pm.

• I pump directly into the Kiinde Twist pouches which I have found to be SO convenient and a great space saver. I need to send 4-5 3.5oz bottles to daycare each day so, I just pump into the pouch until I hit 3.5oz (sometimes it takes more than one session), cap it, label it with a sharpie and put it back in my cooler bag. When I get home, I put the bags into the frames, pop on the nipples and put them into the bag that goes with DS to daycare. No bottles to wash! Ever! Just a few nipples each night which are a breeze with the Medela quick steam bags. Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"