Postpartum Depression

Treatment options for PPD?

I've been struggling quite a bit and my thoughts have become more intense and come more often, and have been thinking of telling my husband (if I can get over the guilt of that.. what a mess). I don't want to get into specifics of my situation, as I know a lot of you are going through the same.
I'm concerned though from reading through this forum that the only real options for treatment are drugs. I have no problem with others taking them - whatever works, but for me, I'm not comfortable. Are there any other options for me? I'm having my 6 week check up soon, but I don't want to bring it up if all she can do is give me drugs.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Treatment options for PPD?

• I'm sorry you are dealing with this!
    There are actually many ways to treat depression, and drugs should only ever be a part of a treatment plan. A treatment plan should also include therapy (individual counseling with a therapist, or group therapy), creating a simple routine (waking up and going to bed at the same time every day, making your bed, etc), getting enough sunshine and daily exercise, taking vitamins and supplements, and maintaining a nutritious diet. Additionally make sure that you are able to talk to people close to you about what is going on, and ask for their help. I would ask your doctor about all of these aspects of treatment. When I had my first appointment with a doctor, it was awful. She seemed very unsympathetic and basically just wrote me a prescription. I dropped her very quickly and found a new doctor who was AMAZING. She went through all aspects of treatment, hooked my up with a therapist, wrote me a prescription after going through all the options for medication with me, and then gave me a big hug. She kept in contact with me after the appointment to make sure treatment was working. I love her! So don't be afraid to ask lots of questions and even change doctors to get what you need. 

I have found that creating systems for forcing myself to do these things is most helpful. I am currently pregnant with my second child. I had severe PPD after my first, and have been pretty nervous about getting it again so I came up with my plan already. I would be happy to share more with you about my own plan if you want.  I think that it is possible to treat this without medication and know of a couple PPD moms who have actively managed the depression without drugs, but I would also definitely consider medication if it becomes severe. 

Hope this helps!
  • I would definitely mention this to your doctor. My therapist is such an important part of my treatment, I do take meds, but at this point (1year) I'm about ready to come off of them. Meds do not fix everything, I agree with the previous post, that there are many parts of treatment not just meds.
    Wedding 08/08/08

BFP #1 12/29/10 EDD 08/29/11 Blighted Ovum 02/09/11 D&C 02/11/11

Clomid 50mg BFP #2 09/21/11 EDD 05/29/11 Chemical Pregnancy 10/4/11

BFP #3 4/19/13 Beta1- 106 Beta2- 524 Beta3- 3500 EDD 12/22/13 LO born 12/31/13

• Loading the player...
  • My son is 7 mths and I'm doing so well now and I'm not on meds. My OB prescribed Zoloft at my first appt, but I had some reactions to it so I didn't go back in anything. My psychologist also told me I did not need meds.
    I didn't want meds, but would have gone on them if it was bad enough. I'm like this with all medications. People tend to have a problem with meds for mental health, but would have no problem taking meds for your thyroid, for example. It is still a medical condition so keep that it mind. You won't be in them forever if it comes to it. Normally about a year I've heard.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"