Stay at Home Moms

Tobogganing bans

I was reading today how there are many cities in Canada and the US that are now imposing tobogganing bans due to the number of injuries and being fearful of a law suit.  Although I can see where they are coming from, it makes me sad to think that they will ban such a fun winter activity. What are your thoughts on the situation? 

Re: Tobogganing bans

• I agree. Throw up a "at your own risk" sign. What happened to common sense?
  • Loading the player...
  • If people would stop suing for getting hurt doing activities where there is an obvious risk of possible injury, things like this wouldn't happen.  "____ at your own risk"  should mean just that.  But, as is usual, the cry babies ruin good things for the rest of us. 
    I get that, but a lot of the time, it's the insurance companies filing the suits. You go to the doctor to get the injury taken care of, and your insurance company goes after the city who owns the park where you were sledding. There are private suits, but there are a lot of insurance companies filing suit as well.

I had this happen with a gym injury.  I told the gym owner - it was clearly my own fault because I'm the one who was doing the lifting and when racking the weight accidentally stepped onto a riser board.." .. he sent the paperwork back in and my insurance dropped the issue with the gym. 

That being said the "____ at your own risk" sadly opens you up to bigger liabilities because you're admitting that you know the risk but aren't doing anything to prevent people from being there like razor wire around the hill...  It's sad just how bad it's gotten!!  (I could go on for days some of the lawsuits the IL's had to deal with back in the day from people who did STUPID stuff..

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My husband works for our county.  He is going through this very issue (though not a snow one) right now.  

The very people complaining about the "Nanny State" are the same ones who won't vote yes on a millage increase to cover the increased insurance or safety net line item (some counties have been threatened with a drop of their insurance if they don't stop sledding).  

So what is the town or county supposed to do? 
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • It's sad to think that people are not going to be able to go sledding. It's one of activities that is inexpensive, the whole family can participate, and is good exercise. Where are they going to draw the line? Are they going to discourage skating or bike riding next? 
  • jag101 said:
    It's sad to think that people are not going to be able to go sledding. It's one of activities that is inexpensive, the whole family can participate, and is good exercise. Where are they going to draw the line? Are they going to discourage skating or bike riding next? 
    So what is your plan then?  
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Ilumine said:
    jag101 said:
    It's sad to think that people are not going to be able to go sledding. It's one of activities that is inexpensive, the whole family can participate, and is good exercise. Where are they going to draw the line? Are they going to discourage skating or bike riding next? 
    So what is your plan then?  
    My plan is that we are lucky enough to have a hill on our property. I feel bad for those that don't have that as an option.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"