Single Parents
Options

Advice on Assistance?

edited January 2015 in Single Parents
So a brief run down of my situation.. I'm a single mom of a 5 y/o (her father and i are divorced), 28 weeks pregnant with #2 (father bailed out 3 months ago), I live in Income-Based housing, and I wait tables 4 hours a day 6 days a week (only place that would hire me pregnant) I live in a small town, only my DD's grandparents (ex inlaws) nearby no family or friends within 60 miles. In less than 12 weeks I will be welcoming Little Man, and honestly, I'm trippin out trying to figure out how I'm going to be able to take 6 weeks off work, as I am barely making it on Waitress wages/tips.
I do not qualify for FMLA due to there less than 50 people employed.
So this leaves me with:
NO paid leave & NO guarantee of even having a job when I can go back
I will be using my tax refund to keep a roof over my head until I can (hopefully) return to work.

So my question(s) here is, Are there any other mom's who are/have been in this particular situation? How did manage? and Any Advice?

(before anyone says anything about my screen name, it was made 3 years ago i have since changed my name since divorced and do not go by the lastname shown lol)

Re: Advice on Assistance?

• Options
    Im on assitance. Cash and food. Its gotten me and my little man through the tough times of me being IN school. Its also helping out now while im starting to get stable. So apply for state assistance. Apply for day care assistance. Start looking for another job now.

Look into medical assistance, look and see if your clinic has any assistance.

There is a lot of things you can do
  • Options
    I get medical through the state, and I am on food stamps and WIC so that helps. In Oklahoma, you can only get Day Care assistance if you are recieving child support, that covers my daughter but as for my son, i only know his father's name, no idea where he's living or working, he changed his number so no telling how long that will take. But I am going to start looking for another job (my car is broke down and i'm 35 miles from another town lol.
    I have gotten help with baby clothes and items from my daughter's teachers and the staff at her school thankfully. I guess its just one of those "Keep your chin up and hope for the best" things huh?
    I know it helps getting on here and seeing everyone's unique situations, but at the same time knowing, we're all single moms.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Its rough now but you just have to keep plugging away.

I am working my butt off because i have to. My bd doesnt want to be there for ds nor doesn he want to finacially support him unless him and i are together. Which, just. Hell no.
  • Options
    I can completely understand your concerns. I have a 5y.o. and I'm 11/weeks pregnant. I work full-time at a low hourly wage and barley making my bills every month. I'm single/divorced and I'm terrified because I have sickle cell so I know I will only be able to work for a few more months before I really begin to become sick and I have no idea how I will provide for my kids once that happens. You are definitely not alone. Every week I'm at the doctors which only shortens my check and my kids father act as if he can only help out with the minimum cause his issues and habits are more important. Im just praying my income tax helps out. I can file for disability but it can take 2 years for approval. I will pray for guidance for you as well as me. I know everything will be okay eventually. What single moms go through.
  • Options
    That's definitely rough :-( Obviously it depends on your state, but you should be able to qualify for cash assistance, and even utility assistance. I know in some states you automatically qualify for daycare assistance if you get cash assistance in lieu of child support. In my state if you are on cash assistance the state will go after the father in your behalf. Good luck.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"