September 2014 Moms
Options

Need to vent

So DS had his 4 month vaccines yesterday morning and by the middle of the afternoon he had spiked a higher than normal fever. The doctor told me to alternate Tylenol and ibuprofen. It was pretty standard but silly me didn't have any infant ibuprofen so I had to bundle up my son and brave the frigid temperatures (-25 wind chill) to get to the pharmacy. When I was leaving, a lady decided to follow me to my car yelling at me for "trying to kill" my son. I completely dismissed it until a worker from DCS showed up today with a cop to investigate a claim that I was abusing my baby. They said that someone had left an anonymous tip that they had witnessed me abusing the baby and gave them my license plate number.

Fortunately, the DCS worker was very kind and understanding. He assured me that taking my child with me to the store was not abuse and that from what he can see, I don't fit the profile for the type of person that would intentionally hurt their child, but they still have to complete a thorough investigation into the matter.

Sorry for the long post but I'm just really frustrated and a little scared. I still can't believe this is happening

Re: Need to vent

• Options
    That is horrible. Hope everything works out ok.
  • Options
    Omg thats horrible and one of my nightmares. I hope everything works out for you! I don't have any advice, but this is why people shouldn't judge others!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's really shitty. Some people just need to mind their own business.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Geez, people suck!

• Options
    That's terrible.  We had ours out in the cold today also, because we decided to go out for lunch.  It never crossed my mind anyone could see that as neglect. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: September 23
    PGAL: September 2010
    AMA:

• Options
    I am so sorry you have to deal with this. Some people are compete idiots and need to mind their own business!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Wow!! I am so sorry you had to deal with that. People should just mind their business. You took the baby to a pharmacy not a strip joint. Obviously if you were going to the pharmacy it means you were most likely getting medicine...some people just don't have any common sense
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    What an idiot!! When we went to get our Christmas tree this lady at Home Depot followed me around saying that having LO out in cold temps (it was 45 and he was bundled up with blankets and a hat on top of warm clothes) was giving him colic. Uhhhh no.

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. Even though that lady was clearly an idiot I thought about t for days. You are doing the right thing and it was just bad luck some nut saw you and made some bogus complaint.
  • Options
    Wow I'd be livid. Sorry this happened to you
    Mommy to Arielle Jade, 9/2/2014

• Options
    No one called CPS on me, but on New Year's Eve, I took one of the twins out to the store to get food for the night.  It was in the 40's, and as I was walking back to the car, some old Cajun lady yelled out, "Put a hat on him, it's cold out here."  I totally laughed it off as just typical busy-body stuff, but now I'm not laughing to think that someone could take it to such an extreme to possibly have my kids taken away.  

Fortunately that social worker had some common sense.
  • Options
    That's horrible, and I'm sorry it happened to you. I can't believe some people take their stupid judgements this far.

• Options
    Well clearly you had two alternative options. Leave the baby with the fever home alone. Don't you have a dog r cat that could have watched him.

Or leave him in a running car with the heat on. Preferably in an enclosed garage or something. You know to really keep in the heat.

I'm sorry some people are idiots!

• Options
    It always amazes me how people are so sure they are right. People live in all sorts of crazy temperatures. I'm pretty sure if you live in Russia and have a baby that you leave the house occasionally. She basically called you on abuse bc of an old wives tale level issue.
  • Options
    dawn792 said:

@bf43005‌ we actually have 2 cats that both have all if their claws so they would be able to protect him if an intruder broke into the house. Should've just trusted the cats a little more and left Vincent home with them lol

My 3, annoyed by baby, cats would gladly offer her up to an intruder... probably even throw a going away party!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You'll be fine if the case worker already said that wasn't abuse. You can probably ask for a copy of the findings if you want it for your records. I have a couple of friends that are social workers with cps and they wouldn't take your children for going to the store unless they weren't clothed and then they would more than likely have to counsel you rather than remove the baby.

@withagrainofsalt‌ Hammie. Love it! Such fond memories of days long ago! None of these gals even know who that is.

@Yuristar‌ You make me laugh. But I have an ex husband that I could trade in a sixer of coronas for... ;)
  • Options
    Sorry you had that happen. One question though, why were you told to give ibuprofen? It's not recommended until 6 months even for a high fever.

@dal2aus‌ I totally had to read that with a Cajun accent. Before I read it I thought you were going to spell it in Cajun lol..
  • Options

@dal2aus‌ I totally had to read that with a Cajun accent. Before I read it I thought you were going to spell it in Cajun lol..

I totally missed that she was Cajun. That makes the story far more entertaining. Makes more sense even. I lived in LA for a few years and miss the crazy old Cajun ladies jabbering at you for no reason. =))
  • Options
    dawn792dawn792 member
    edited January 2015
    @ashaw512 the doctor said the danger of having a high fever for an extended period of time was greater than the risk of side effects from the ibuprofen, and that a combination of ibuprofen and Tylenol would be the fastest way to get the fever down
  • Options
    Oh my goodness talk about that person overreacting much. Sorry you have to deal with this, hopefully the process doesn't take too long/isn't too cumbersome
  • Options
    Omfg. Because we don't have enough stress as new mothers??? I'm so sorry.

BFP#1 4/17/2013 EDD 12/25/2013, MC 5/17/2013 8 weeks 3 days D&C 5/18/2013

BFP#2 1/20/2014 EDD 9/28/2014, Baby Evie born on 9/23/2014 at 8:50pm.  6 lbs 15 oz!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"