Parenting

Suggest a great city for us to live in!

2»

Re: Suggest a great city for us to live in!

• mcbenny said:

I always liked Austin too. For my career, the money is working out of Dallas. I don't live in the city but in a suburb and no one bats an eye at us being an interracial couple.

It's isnt just black and white here. There's all kinds of people here. Not at all what we had before.

@ShakeyJakey‌

I have heard Austin is very similar to Madison but it's warm there.
    imageimage
  • mcbenny said:

I always liked Austin too. For my career, the money is working out of Dallas. I don't live in the city but in a suburb and no one bats an eye at us being an interracial couple.

It's isnt just black and white here. There's all kinds of people here. Not at all what we had before.

@ShakeyJakey‌

That's what I want for SO and LO. SO is mixed and there aren't very many mixed people out age here. It's more common for kids now to be mixed but he had bad experiences growing up. I want LO to see all kinda of diversity, not just white and black and some in between.
    Well if you are looking at Washington, seattle does offer that. Especially depending on the area of the city you live in. Many different Asian cultures, large Indian population, Russian, Latino, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • shella923 said:
    It's a stretch to this house is "in Austin"
    I'm sure it's nice out that way, tons of recent development, but the traffic is SO bad you'd probably never go downtown. Seriously, the traffic is THAT bad.

Full disclaimer: grew up in Austin, moved away 12 yrs ago, but go back 2-3 times a year to visit family.

On the hand, if you can take winter, the Twin Cities are amazing, especially in summer. Between Austin and here I did capital region on NY (for school), then Charlotte, and this is by far my favorite.

Granted, I would consider Austin if they would build infrastructure the correct size for their city, but not beforehand.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Before I argue, where are we saying the racists are? I just need to organize my points.
    The south The mid-Atlantic Boston Portland San Diego Missouri So, basically, everywhere.
    Except NorCal. :smile:
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Alligators, ginormous spiders, poisonous spiders, flying cockroaches, palmetto bugs, pythons, poisonous snakes. I will suffer through winter and Scott Walker to avoid all of those.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • wino2006 said:
    Alligators, ginormous spiders, poisonous spiders, flying cockroaches, palmetto bugs, pythons, poisonous snakes. I will suffer through winter and Scott Walker to avoid all of those.
    Don't forget to add bears to this list!  Someone recently shot a bear in our county, the first one shot in the county in 200 years. With numbers like that, I feel that they must be added to the list of the South's deadly creatures that must be feared!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I lived in NYC for around 3 years, and before getting married and moving to a new city for my husband (Louisville), I moved to a suburb of Atlanta to live with my parents.

After spending some time there, and hearing what my friends say about it, I think it's a pretty nice place to raise a family. The winters are great, the summers can get hot but you really drive everywhere and there is A/C every where.

Very diverse and there seems to be lots of industry in the area. My younger sister grew up here and she loves it.

I wouldn't recommend Louisville. From my short time here it seems very homogeneous.
  • Chicago! It's not cold here. I swear.
  • You can't talk shit about Ohio unless you are from Ohio.

SO LAY OFF.
  • Dammit, Mike Polk.  Why you gotta use not very politically correct terms in your videos.

Sorry, it's been a while since I've watched them and I cringed.
  • To be fair I've seen a lot of palmetto bugs. They fly. But no alligators or poisonous snakes in the wild. And we have high schools named after Robert E Lee and the founder of the KKK. But I wouldn't recommend living here to anyone.

Harry Styles = Life Ruiner

There’s a lightning in your eyes I can't deny
    Then there’s me inside a sinking boat running out of time
    Without you I'll never make it out alive
    But I know, yes, I know we’ll be alright
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    J. 1.14.13 my reason for breathing 
  • Yeah palmetto bugs are just a species of roaches that fly.

Harry Styles = Life Ruiner

There’s a lightning in your eyes I can't deny
    Then there’s me inside a sinking boat running out of time
    Without you I'll never make it out alive
    But I know, yes, I know we’ll be alright
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    J. 1.14.13 my reason for breathing 
  • mcbenny said:

True story - in our old duplex when it would rain hard the big ass roaches would come in from outside. I go in my room and there was one on my wall. I am about 16-17, I am like ok, "I will go get the Raid and spray it, it will die."

I get the Raid. I stand on my chair because it was high up near the ceiling. I reach out and spray -

THE MOTHERFUCKER SPREAD ITS WINGS AND STARTED TO FLY TOWARDS ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I screamed in complete terror, fell off the chair, hurdled it, dropped the can and ran. I don't even remember what happened after that. I think it did die from the Raid and my stepdad got it. I don't even remember cause I was so traumatized.

P.S. I haven't seen one since. ::::knocks on wood::::

I had a very similar experience with a jumping spider. I had gotten a couple of spider bites recently (my room was in the basement) while I was sleeping. I went down at bedtime and there was a big spider on the wall crawling in the direction of the head of the bed. I grabbed the raid, started to spray it and then it jumped at me and then ran in my closet. In the process I screamed, dropped the can and ran. I couldn't find it so I slept in bed with my mom ( I was on break from college so I was older). I eventually did find it dead in my closet.
    imageimage
  • I think growing up the worst thing that ever happened regarding bugs was finding a lady bug on my hand and trying to make sure I assisted it in flying away to freedom.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I could make that image smaller.  I ain't gonna.
  • Anyplace but Florida.
  • Portland, Oregon. Love, love, love that city. Very liberal and democraty. Diverse population. So many things to do. Moderate weather (snow is rare and winters are usually 30-50 degrees). Great public transportation. Very green and pretty.

----
    I love the northwest but we had to leave Seattle because of how few black ppl there are. Portland is much worse if you care about having a decent-sized black population though West Indian doesn't necessarily mean black which is why I used the term if. The Research Triangle area in NC may be a good option for you.
    This is sad to hear. I'm trying to sell SO on Washington but I want him to feel comfortable there.
    @ShakeyJakey‌ come to WA!!! We can fangirl together :)
  • @luxannie‌ southeast metro, cottage grove to be exact - where are you?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • OMG @mcbenny‌ I woke my H up from laughing at the flying roach story. You slay me.

~*~*~You're Such A Pretty Melody, I'm Just Another Tattooed Tragedy~*~*~
    FKA: Mireland23  image
  • luxannie said:

@ashleymarie1027‌ more NW from you. In Mpls.

I work in downtown mpls :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"