Babies on the Brain
Options

Birth Control and Preparing to TTC

Good morning! I'm new here so I apologize if this question has already been answered.  I have a question concerning birth control.  Did you ladies wait until you had been off of the pill or other form or BC for three or more months prior to TTC? I've read where some suggest waiting three months whereas others say it depends on the type of BC. What's everyone's approach? Thanks for your help!

**Triggers**

Me: 32  DH: 35  Married 10/4/14

TTC  #1 May 2015 BFP: July 21, 2015  Stillborn January 8, 2016

TTC #2 April 2016 BFP: June 17, 2016

Pregnancy Ticker
Baby Girl Shih-Tzu and Baby Boy Boston are my furbabies

Re: Birth Control and Preparing to TTC

• Options
    I went off the pill a few months prior. I'd been on it for years so I figured it'd take some time for my body to adjust to not having the hormones regularly from an outside source. It's also a good time to start charting so you can learn about your cycle and be more informed/prepared when you are ready to start TTC.
  • Options
    I don't believe there is any concrete scientific evidence stating wait X amount of months or something bad could happen to you or your pregnancy, so I am not sure there is really a reason to unless you are using something like Depo. I know when talking to my doctor she just stated that when you get Depo it can take 6-8 months for your body to regulate itself and for all the hormones to dissipate from your body. I'm on the NuvaRing and she said whenever I am ready to just stop taking it and I can try immediately. My one concern about people who stop taking BC before they are ready to start TTC is that just because it could take a while for your body to regulate doesn't mean it will and if you aren't careful you could end up getting pregnant before you are ready. If you decide to stop taking it to regulate before hand and start temping definitely use a non-hormonal form of BC until you are truly ready. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mrsh82414 said:
    My one concern about people who stop taking BC before they are ready to start TTC is that just because it could take a while for your body to regulate doesn't mean it will and if you aren't careful you could end up getting pregnant before you are ready.  
    That is EXACTLY why I asked the question.  If I stop taking the BC what if we conceive before we were ready to start trying.  I'm already tracking things via OVIA.  I have preconception visit scheduled with my midwife late next month.  I'll confirm then and go from there. 

**Triggers**

Me: 32  DH: 35  Married 10/4/14

TTC  #1 May 2015 BFP: July 21, 2015  Stillborn January 8, 2016

TTC #2 April 2016 BFP: June 17, 2016

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Girl Shih-Tzu and Baby Boy Boston are my furbabies

• Options
    I agree with @mrsh82414 - I believe that I read recently that if you are on BCP, it's an antiquated (or at least unproven) notion to wait 3 months. I think it's a good idea to go off for a bit to take some time to chart and start taking vitamins, but otherwise doesn't matter. There's a reason why some people who are on the pill and forget a day or two can get pregnant! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest 
    Fur Baby Momma 4/2/2010
  • Options
    I agree with @ladynymeria‌. It's never too early to start getting in the habit of temping and seeing what is really going on with your body @BlessedBeyond14‌. This is my first month post BCP. I started temping with my withdrawal bleed off the pill and have cross hairs with FF so it seems like my body went right back to ovulating after BCP.
    Married June 2013
    TTC #1 -February 2015
  • Options
    I have the Mabis. It's great, I just wish it had a backlight.
    Married June 2013
    TTC #1 -February 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"