September 2014 Moms
Options

Transitioning EBF to Formula

Has anyone switched from breast feeding to formula?  For several reasons, I have decided that it's best that I make the switch.  I plan to do it gradually, but I am a major planner and would like to have a schedule/plan in place.  I have no idea how much to put in each bottle, what kind to try first, what 'equipment' I'll need, and what to expect as far as digestive adjustments and poop changes. 

Does anyone have any tips, helpful links, must-have equipment, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Transitioning EBF to Formula

• Options
    I just did this fairly quickly, and definitely felt some emotional changes.  Apparently there is a hormonal drop when you wean which can trigger some depression, so be aware of that and do whatever you need to to try to keep your mood up.  I started taking my regular birth control pill to help, and my supply dropped pretty quickly after that.  It took about a week for me to stop entirely, with gradually cutting out more and more feedings each day.  DS was having formula bottles from time to time before that, so he had no issues switching.  I think he started to prefer the bottle anyway.  I was so tired that my supply was dwindling as it was, and it was getting harder for him to get what he needed.  Daycare said they noticed he seemed a little irritated/frustrated during this time, which they thought must have been due to the weaning, but he seemed totally fine to me.  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I ff with ds1, and assuming no allergies or sensitivities, we really liked similar advance. Sign up for coupons so you can save some money. As for transitioning, I would do the same thing as I did with transitioning to milk. Use x ounces of bm and 1 oz formula for a week, then increase formula by 1 oz and reduce bm by 1 ounce the next week, and so on. This way LO can slowly transition and get used to the taste.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Enfamil sends more coupons than Similac (or so it seems to us -- we use Similac).  Our LO doesn't like the mixed powder, so we do the more expensive Ready Mixed.  I made the switch at about 6 weeks and was already supplementing heavily so I don't think my advice on LO's transition would be helpful.

When you want to dry up, invest in cabbage and put fresh leaves in your bra every two hours.  It worked like a charm, and eased the pain as well.  :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: September 23
    PGAL: September 2010
    AMA:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"