Formula Feeding

Cold bottles?

We've always given DS room-temp formula. Since he's now 8 mos, and the end of formula is in sight (cue the Angels singing hallelujahs), I'm wondering if we should start trying to give him cold formula to prepare for cold cows milk. Any thoughts? We didn't do this with DD, and she took a long time to warm up to cows milk (pun only slightly intended).

Re: Cold bottles?

• Hmmm. I don't have an answer for you. My DS#1 took a while to switch to milk, but I thought it was more reluctance to the cup than the cold, but maybe you are on to something. Interested in what others have done since we will be heading down the same road again in 6 mo.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • It wouldn't hurt to see how LO does with cold formula. Not bad idea. With my first, we did room temp until he was ready for regular milk and he did fine. And with 2ndLO we are still warming up room temp formula to match BM (supplementing and room temp is cold here due to winter).
  • Loading the player...
  • djluschendjluschen member
    edited May 2015
    We did cold/chilled bottles with both of my girls. There is no medical reason the formula needs to be warmed up (which I am sure you all know). Trust me I got tons of grief for giving my girls chilled formula. Mostly from my mom. They honestly preferred it this way. I guess I kind of associated it with "would I want to drink warm milk?!?!". No thank you. I know breast milk is warm but as I said before they loved the chilled bottle. An added bonus too was that I would make up some bottles the night before and store them in the fridge. When the peanut was hungry I would just to to the fridge and pull one out. No making a hungry baby wait....
  • We did cold bottles for our son because he enjoyed them more than warm or room-temp bottles, especially during the summer months. From our experience, even though he loved cold bottles of formula, he still took a while to decide that cow milk was okay. I think it had more to do with the sweetness of the formula than anything else.
  • I didn't have an issue with my son taking cold milk vs. a room temp formula bottle. He was also drinking cold water at that point and a chilled bottle of formula if we were out and it was on ice. It was also summer so I'm sure a cold drink was refreshing since he was running around by then.