September 2014 Moms

Vaccinations

DS will be heading back to the doctor in about a month for his four month appointment.  I know almost all of you ladies had your babies before me so this appointment is coming up soon or you have already had it.  This appointment means more vaccinations.  So I'm wondering if anyone has any tips to help DS through this. 

While I know this is a necessary evil for his health I would love to make it a little easier for him.  At his two month appointment when he got his first round of shots I tried to clap and call his name really loud to pull his attention away from what was happening.  This didn't work, he looked at me and then broke out into the worst scream ever.  Heart breaking for any mamma. 

Some suggested giving him Tylenol before going as it would help "take the edge off" during the shot.  I did give him some Tylenol after his last round of shots but this was because he seemed a little warm and wanted to head off any fever quickly.  Has anyone tried giving Tylenol before?  Has it seemed to help?

Just looking for any tips or advice.  Not like he's old enough for a lollypop after.  TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Vaccinations

• ^wss

LO is a chunker and food always settles her down.

• We have our LO a dose of Tylenol when we got to the doctors office. It seemed to help a little. I agree with feeding pretty soon after too.
    Me: 36       DH:38
    DD born 9/3/14
    BFP: 1/8/18        EDD: 9/18/18
  • Loading the player...
  • It always passed fast and I tried to focus on the fact that he saw me as the good guy. With DS1 I apologized all the way to the car for him being too young for ice cream. He's a champ now about them and truthfully after 6 mo hardly cried just made a boo boo face. It's just important IMO not to let them see your fear/overreaction as that's a sure ticket to a panicky child. I often brought a bottle with to sooth him and all was quickly forgotten.
    Lilypie - (JLjB)

• We did Tylenol prior and it didn't save us from the heartbreaking scream but he settled down quickly after.
  • I heard you were supposed to avoid tylenol unless really needed because the little fever is your LOs body doing what it's supposed to for the vaccine to be most effective. Made sense to me so I hold out on it unless he's really not feeling well or the fever isn't mild.
    Lilypie - (JLjB)

• We just stuck it out last time.. ended up giving Tylenol after I checked in with my pedi later that night when the fever hit her and she started to get a little worse for wear.   
  • Just comfort them afterwards. Tylenol is a parents choice but make sure you have the right dosage. My little guy is so easy going and sensitive it was earth shattering for him at 2mos and he needed extra snuggles that day.
  • We went in on Monday and DH scooped her up and soothed her right after the shots were done. She calmed down pretty quick and started to cry again as we put her in the car seat. Our voices and faces helped. We went ahead and gave her Tylenol after we got home. Four hours later she woke up and just started crying so hard for at least a half hour while another dose kicked in. BFing helped her calm down and she conked out again. After that she's been fine.

• MLE_C2B said:

I heard you were supposed to avoid tylenol unless really needed because the little fever is your LOs body doing what it's supposed to for the vaccine to be most effective. Made sense to me so I hold out on it unless he's really not feeling well or the fever isn't mild.

Do you have any articles or links to back this up or is it just antectdotal? I find it hard to believe most pediatricians would recommend Tylonel if it made vaccinations less effective.
    There actually are studies that are showing this. I was a little surprised to hear of it:

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/33331643/ns/health-childrens_health/t/giving-babies-tylenol-may-blunt-vaccine-effects/

I only found articles that were a few years old and in the news, I didn't look into medical journals as they are sometimes difficult to understand.

That being said, I read it was rare for the Tylenol to reduce the antibody level below the level of effectiveness so don't think that your giving Tylenol in the past means vaccines weren't effective. This also doesn't seem to be an area of huge study so far, so it hasn't reduced effectiveness to the point where there is major concern of Tylenol counteracting vaccines in so many kiddos that extensive tests were urgent.

Seems like a parental choice at this point, just as many medications are. Do make certain of proper dosage. Tylenol has been proven to be one of the most frequently overdosed medications because it is hidden in so many medications (this is probably more for older kids and adults) and elevated levels of Tylenol have shown to impact the liver.
  • Agree with nursing right after. I just stayed in the exam room and fed her till she was calm.

I know it's heartbreaking, but the pain is temporary.
  • Our pediatrician said to not give her Tylenol before as well. We go for lo's shots on Friday and will be giving her Tylenol afterwards as she needs.
  • Interesting.  My doctor suggests Tylenol before we go in for shots.  Article states it's ok to give it once the fever develops.  So I guess I have a week to figure out what I want to do.

Eliza Mae - September 16th, 2014
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We gave Tylenol before lo's 4 mo shots this past Tuesday and he did so much better then the 2 mo shots but that could also be from him being older too.
  • My pedi also does not reccomend Tylenol for vaccinations unless there is a fever afterwards. I can't remember her exact reasoning though.

Last time the nurse has me dunk her pacifier in a "sugar water" cup afterwards. It seemed to help calm her down. I had never seen her suck so vigorously on it for about 30 seconds....then she was perfectly fine.

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • camichael84camichael84 member
    edited January 2015
    The nurse that administered DD's 2 month shots recommended Tylenol before the shots, but the pediatrician said to wait until after. Honestly, I don't see how something as mild as Tylenol would help with the initial pain from the shots, so we used it as needed after she had them. We'll do the same thing this time. I do wish I had a bottle with me last time, and will take one this time.

• MLE_C2B said:

I heard you were supposed to avoid tylenol unless really needed because the little fever is your LOs body doing what it's supposed to for the vaccine to be most effective. Made sense to me so I hold out on it unless he's really not feeling well or the fever isn't mild.

Do you have any articles or links to back this up or is it just antectdotal? I find it hard to believe most pediatricians would recommend Tylonel if it made vaccinations less effective.
    It was discussed in an immunology class I took in college ( I don't have the book anymore) not just concerning babies but how we build immunal resistance in general hence my background to my agreement but DS1s pediatrician is the one that told me after his first round of shots to hold out as a mild fever is beneficial to building the immunity. I've never looked it up otherwise.
    Lilypie - (JLjB)

• My mom is a pedi nurse and she says do NOT give Tylenol before hand because it can mask a fever. If LO is already sick, they don't want to give vaccines that day. Honestly, DS did better with the 4 month shots (my mom actually gave them to him). He literally cried for 2 seconds during the shots and then was fine once I picked him up. 

TTC #1 Since October 2012
    DX PCOS May 2013
    Clomid 50-150mg- No Response
    Moved to RE October 2013
    Nov. 2013: IUI #1 Letrozole + Ovidrel = BFN
    Dec. 2013: IUI #2 Letrozole + Ovidrel= BFP on 1/8/2014 !! EDD 9/17/2014
    Beta #1 (12 dpo): HCG 27, Progesterone 15 (starting on supplements)
    Beta #2 (15 dpo): HCG 297, Progesterone 29
    Beta #3 (17 dpo): HCG 667, Progesterone 34
    1st Ultrasound 1/28 (6 weeks + 1) Baby measuring exactly as it should, HB 118!
    2nd Ultrasound 2/5 Baby measuring 7w4d, HB 133. Everything looks perfect!
    3rd Ultrasound 4/29 (A/S) Our Baby BOY is measuring perfectly and everything looked great! HB160
    Diagnosed with Pre-E at 36 weeks, placed on bed rest, induction schedule for 37 weeks. 

BFP #2 on 7/30/15 EDD 4/7/16 MC @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3 on 7/23/16 EDD 3/30/16
  • I was able to nurse my son during his shots and he didn't even flinch
  • Call me ignorant, but is there something particularly unique about the 4-month shots or this a question about shots in general?  At prior appointments, our boys seemed OK with the shots, only screaming for a few seconds and then they were fine.  We do 4-month shots this Friday.  Should we be more prepared for a more painful experience, or are they like all the rest?
  • dal2aus said:

Call me ignorant, but is there something particularly unique about the 4-month shots or this a question about shots in general?  At prior appointments, our boys seemed OK with the shots, only screaming for a few seconds and then they were fine.  We do 4-month shots this Friday.  Should we be more prepared for a more painful experience, or are they like all the rest?

When I made the thread it was just vaccinations in general but the next set coming up is at four months hence the reference.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I do EBF and tried this right after. He was having none of it so that didn't help to soothe him. Hoping this time around is a little better for him. Cuddles helped but wasn't sure if there was anything else I could try.

• LO handled the shots much better at his 4 mo appt than his 2 mo. He cried a little but then we distracted him with some funny faces and talking and he was fine. He got a little tylenol in the evening when he got fussy but was pretty normal most of the day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"