One & Done: Only child

What are you reading right now?

The board's been slow and I'm looking for something new to read so I thought I'd bring this up here: what are you reading? I have Kindle Unlimited and have been reading a lot of poorly edited, crappy ebooks lately. The last decent book that I read was "In the Woods" by Tana French. How about you?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What are you reading right now?

• eyenigheyenigh member
    edited January 2015
    I finally finished A Feast for Crows over the weekend, and started A Dance with Dragons.  I have mixed feelings about being at this point.  I've been reading these for so long that I'm ready to be done, but I'm also sad because I realize that I'll be joining the indefinite wait club for book 6 to be published.

After that, I'm going to start working through all of the books I've purchased for my kindle.  I have quite a few sitting there unread because I bought them during the monthly feature sales.
    I really want to want to read the Game of Thrones books. I tried-- several times to get through the first one, actually, and I just wasn't enjoying it. It felt more like work than enjoyment I think just because there are so many players/places/relationships. I enjoy the show and story but there's something about the books that made me hit a wall. I salute you for making it through!

• Sarah's Key. It's an amazing book, New York Times Bestseller about a girl in France during the Holocaust period. Apparently they turned it into a Lifetime movie recently. I definitely recommend.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Sarah's Key. It's an amazing book, New York Times Bestseller about a girl in France during the Holocaust period. Apparently they turned it into a Lifetime movie recently. I definitely recommend
    I second this recommendation!

• I am reading You'd Be So Pretty If... by Dara Chadwick.
    My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• I'm reading Ancillary Justice, which is hard sci-fi with a really interesting premise about gender.  It won a Hugo award last year.

I also really liked The Paying Guests, which is a queer-themed, slightly Gothic, historical romance.

I'm a huge GRR Martin geek - so much a fan of the books that I refuse to watch the tv show. A Feast for Crows does drag a bit, especially all the stuff set in Dorne, but it really picks back up in A Dance with Dragons.  

*****SPOILERS AHEAD!*****

The Dorne chapters were some of my least favorite chapters in the whole book, and I had the hardest time keeping the characters straight.  Some of them appeared so briefly before being taken into custody, and I still can't quite figure out who's who, which is kind of unusual for me because I've been doing relatively well keeping everyone straight.

I was disappointed in Arya's chapters, because there wasn't a lot of plot movement, and I was starting to get exasperated with how stubborn she's being.  I really liked her character in the first 3 books, but now I'm starting to not enjoy her as much.

Jaime's chapters were awesome, and are among my favorites.  I'd probably put his chapters in the #1 spot.  I hated him in GoT, but starting in CoK (::snicker::) I gained a new respect for him and he quickly became a favorite.  Sansa/Alayne's chapters would go in the #2 spot, and even though there wasn't a lot of action for her, it was fascinating to see how she took on the role of playing Littlefinger's bastard and how she interacted with everyone.  And reading Littlefinger's plot at the end of her last chapter?  OMG, I can't wait to see how that plays out, and makes me think that Cersei really did have some things wrong in her last few chapters, because maybe she shouldn't be quite as concerned with Margery as she thinks.  And speaking of Cersei, her chapters would go in the #3 spot.  Even though she pisses me off, it was interesting to see her unravel throughout the book.

Ok, I think I'm done with my word vomit lol.
    I seriously loved Jaime after reading the 4th book! 
    My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• AgoAgo member

I am just starting Outlander - I really like it.

I highly recommend Wild if you haven't read that yet.  I also just finished Gone Girl.  It was good, and awfully creepy.

University of Kansas alum Geoff Folker applies food coloring to his snow sculpture at his home on Park Street in Olathe, Kan., on Sunday, March 24, 2013.  A storm that dumped up to 15 inches of snow on parts of Colorado and Kansas is making its way east, with winter storm warnings and advisories issued for today and tomorrow as far east as Pennsylvania. (AP Photo/The Kansas City Star, John Sleezer)

January OAD Siggy Challenge: Creative Snow Sculptures

• All I read are parenting and relationship books these days, which is probably not what you had in mind! But I just finished The Whole Brain Child, which I really liked.
    :-B
  • I think I read more than I think I do. Other than GTT, I've read all but three books that have been mentioned here! For those reading/read Gone Girl, have you read Gillian Flynn's other novels? I liked GG and I didn't dislike the other two books but I found the endings kind of, eh.

• jellybean529jellybean529 member
    edited January 2015
    All I read are parenting and relationship books these days, which is probably not what you had in mind! But I just finished The Whole Brain Child, which I really liked.
    @rocknrollfriend I read The Whole Brain Child a few months ago and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I've been using those strategies with my DD, who is still processing a lot of grief due to the move/separation/dad not being around thing, and her therapist uses the science behind that philosophy in her play therapy and parent coaching. 

There's another book he came out with last year, No-Drama Discipline, that's also really, really good.

ETA -- There are also some great books similar to these by Becky Bailey, who is also a big name in the play therapy field (DD's therapist said she was trained by one of the gurus of play therapy and she actually lives in my area). She writes a lot of stuff for classroom use but she has some wonderful Youtube videos on emotional coaching and conscious discipline for kids.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Throwing leaves <3
  • As far as what I'm reading NOW...I'm between books at the moment (and honesty -- FFC here -- I read a shit ton of fanfiction so it's been getting in the way of my actual book reading) but I have the Divergent series on my Kindle so it's probably next in the queue.

Throwing leaves <3
  • eyenigh said:
    I think I read more than I think I do. Other than GTT, I've read all but three books that have been mentioned here! For those reading/read Gone Girl, have you read Gillian Flynn's other novels? I liked GG and I didn't dislike the other two books but I found the endings kind of, eh.

I have read her other two books and liked them both but I liked Sharp Objects better than Dark Places.
    My Book Blog

my read shelf:

• dmlk413 said:
    eyenigh said:
    I think I read more than I think I do. Other than GTT, I've read all but three books that have been mentioned here! For those reading/read Gone Girl, have you read Gillian Flynn's other novels? I liked GG and I didn't dislike the other two books but I found the endings kind of, eh.

I have read her other two books and liked them both but I liked Sharp Objects better than Dark Places.
    If I wasn't so skeeved out by people mutilating themselves, I'd probably agree with you. I felt uncomfortable throughout the whole book because of that!

• AgoAgo member
    All I read are parenting and relationship books these days, which is probably not what you had in mind! But I just finished The Whole Brain Child, which I really liked.
    @rocknrollfriend I read The Whole Brain Child a few months ago and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I've been using those strategies with my DD, who is still processing a lot of grief due to the move/separation/dad not being around thing, and her therapist uses the science behind that philosophy in her play therapy and parent coaching. 

There's another book he came out with last year, No-Drama Discipline, that's also really, really good.

ETA -- There are also some great books similar to these by Becky Bailey, who is also a big name in the play therapy field (DD's therapist said she was trained by one of the gurus of play therapy and she actually lives in my area). She writes a lot of stuff for classroom use but she has some wonderful Youtube videos on emotional coaching and conscious discipline for kids.
    I've gone to listen to Becky Bailey speak.  She is awesome!
    University of Kansas alum Geoff Folker applies food coloring to his snow sculpture at his home on Park Street in Olathe, Kan., on Sunday, March 24, 2013.  A storm that dumped up to 15 inches of snow on parts of Colorado and Kansas is making its way east, with winter storm warnings and advisories issued for today and tomorrow as far east as Pennsylvania. (AP Photo/The Kansas City Star, John Sleezer)

• AgoAgo member
    Oh, yes, Amy Poehler's book is good as well!

• kristenndkristennd member
    edited January 2015
    I'm the remarkably common stereotype of a librarian who never has time to read.

These days I just can't let myself pick up a book until I get caught up on my damn New Yorkers. They're weekly so it's never ending. I've cut back from an hour lunch to a half hour and that makes a huge difference. Plus I too frequently end up spending the entire lunch on Facebook instead...

A new parenting book I did enjoy last year was How Toddlers Thrive. I only really disagreed with her bit about not correcting their errors. Parentology, on the other hand, was just loony. Brain Rules for Baby is older (2010) but I really liked it too.

DH and I have read all the GRRM books but I've been out of the office for two days so I won't try to get into that part of the conversation just yet...
  • I loved Gone Girl and have been wanting to read Sarah's Key.
    I'm reading Yes Please right now. I kind of wanted some gummy bears for the mind.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just started a new book (for me) yesterday. Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. 
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • I swear it's a rule that all YA dystopias must now be trilogies. With love triangles.

Other YA dystopian trilogies that are really popular here are the Legend trilogy by Marie Lu, Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer, Matched by Ally Condie, Defiance by C.J. Redwine, Delirium by Lauren Oliver, and Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (easy to confuse with Veronica Roth, so that's handy for her). There's also a new one called Pulse by Patrick Carman.
  • The Giver is so good. There are three other books in that series, though I don't think they are as good as The Giver. They are worth reading.

For YA (though not dystopian) I've been loving the Raven Boys series. There's three books out now and a fourth one due out next year.
    I read the other three in the Giver series. They're in no way sequels but they all kind of bring everything together, which I liked since if you stop at the first one, there's a lot of possible questions at the end.

• janineb said:
    As far as what I'm reading NOW...I'm between books at the moment (and honesty -- FFC here -- I read a shit ton of fanfiction so it's been getting in the way of my actual book reading) but I have the Divergent series on my Kindle so it's probably next in the queue.
    What type of fan fiction? Maybe we should compare notes :)
    @janineb I read Twilight fan fiction mostly....I've branched out a bit into OUAT fan fiction but I find that most of the good writers write either Twilight or Harry Potter. I just finished a fantastic Twilight fanfic called Cotton Belt which was amazing...and since the characters go by nicknames it's almost a stand alone work of fiction. I'm also reading a super heartbreaking one called Lacunar.  

Throwing leaves <3
  • The Giver is so good. There are three other books in that series, though I don't think they are as good as The Giver. They are worth reading.

For YA (though not dystopian) I've been loving the Raven Boys series. There's three books out now and a fourth one due out next year.
    I just read The Raven Boys series this fall and I loved it!  I am so excited for the next book.
    My Book Blog

my read shelf:

• janineb said:
    I've also got Unbroken hanging out on my Kindle, just waiting to be read. Maybe after I finish plowing through this book about Jim Jones. If I quit the Jim Jones book now, I don't think I'll ever finish.

@jellybean529 - I love young adult, dystopian fiction so I've also read most of the Divergent series. I blasted through the first two of the series and then read the first chapter or two of the third one and totally lost interest. Hopefully I can get back into it some day. Let me know if I should finish it once you get there! :P

I also read the Maze Runner series, which was pretty good and the City of Ember series. But again with the Ember series I got about half way through and just lost interest.

I loved, loved, loved the Hunger Games and keep trying to find another series that does for me what those books did for me, which is why I picked up Divergebnt. So far, while there has been some good ones, the only other book that comes close to being that addictive for me is Lois Lowry's The Giver. Many times I just end up reading non-fiction accounts about life in North Korea; that seems more similar to the Hunger Games than anything else.
    I have finished the third in Divergent. (jelly avert your eyes as I don't want to discourage you) Imo it's definitely not worth coming back to. I really liked 1, 2 was OK, and 3 just made me scratch my head and wish Suzanne Collins would hurry up and write another hunger games. Or jk Rowling would return to harry potter :)
    It's okay, I'll still read it :) I have the whole trilogy plus the Four series. I'll read just about anything :) I honestly wasn't a huge fan of The Hunger Games though. I can't deal with kids killing kids and kids dying and all that stuff. 

Throwing leaves <3
  • janineb said:
    janineb said:
    As far as what I'm reading NOW...I'm between books at the moment (and honesty -- FFC here -- I read a shit ton of fanfiction so it's been getting in the way of my actual book reading) but I have the Divergent series on my Kindle so it's probably next in the queue.
    What type of fan fiction? Maybe we should compare notes :)
    @janineb I read Twilight fan fiction mostly....I've branched out a bit into OUAT fan fiction but I find that most of the good writers write either Twilight or Harry Potter. I just finished a fantastic Twilight fanfic called Cotton Belt which was amazing...and since the characters go by nicknames it's almost a stand alone work of fiction. I'm also reading a super heartbreaking one called Lacunar.  
    Cool! I may need a break from Hp, so maybe i should check that out! And did you know that Cassandra Claire, who wrote the mortal instruments series started in hp fan fiction? Her fan fics were noticed by publishers and got her the book deal. All her fan fiction work has been pulled from the net and you can't read it anymore!
    I had no idea! That's awesome!! I'm sure someone somewhere must have her FF archived!

If you need another recommendation, check out A Consequence of Miracles (the FF username of the author is Travis Birkenstock). It was a fabulous read...tragic, heartbreaking, but incredibly well written. The author just came out with a book as well which I have on my kindle...I forget her real name at the moment though.

Throwing leaves <3
  • janineb said:

I loved, loved, loved the Hunger Games and keep trying to find another series that does for me what those books did for me, which is why I picked up Divergebnt. So far, while there has been some good ones, the only other book that comes close to being that addictive for me is Lois Lowry's The Giver. Many times I just end up reading non-fiction accounts about life in North Korea; that seems more similar to the Hunger Games than anything else.
    I have finished the third in Divergent. (jelly avert your eyes as I don't want to discourage you) Imo it's definitely not worth coming back to. I really liked 1, 2 was OK, and 3 just made me scratch my head and wish Suzanne Collins would hurry up and write another hunger games. Or jk Rowling would return to harry potter :)

I agree that the third book in Divergent was really weak.  The author is sort of boxed into explaining how Chicago turned into the world we see in the first two books, and that big revelation back story is just really implausible and unsatisfying.
    I'll have to check out the Raven Boys! I agree. It was a total piece of crap. The viewpoints between characters was also so similar that I had a hard time remembering if it was Tris or Four from chapter to chapter. It felt like she was rushing to finish it or something.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"