September 2015 Moms
Options

Coffee during pregnancy

Are there any ladies out there who have drank coffee during their pregnancy? I didn't with my first but this time I feel like I need my morning cup of joe. I'm skittle hesitant because of the conflicting reports I read when I search the topic online. Some say it's fine in moderation and somesay it's a big no no. What are your thoughts?

Re: Coffee during pregnancy

• Options
    I drank one cup everyday with my last pregnancy and will continue with this one. My dr said it was fine just try not to exceed more then one cup a day .

Married  : ** 09/09/2011  ** BFP : 07-18-13 ** Baby #1 is a GIRL , Born 03/12/14 ** 
    ** BFP 2 :  01- 05-15 ** EDD 09-11-15 **

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie First Birthday tickers

Baby S 2. Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    My mom drank a mug (note: more than an 8oz cup) every day when she was pregnant with me. I turned out fine... if anything, maybe that's why I love coffee so much? :)

But, really, one cup a day - meaning one 8oz cup - is fine. Most docs say 200mg of caffeine is the max allowable daily while pregnant; an 8oz cup can have anywhere from 60-90mg... and, remember, most mugs are more than 8oz!

There was also another thread all about this a while back with lots of comments: https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12512720/caffeine-lovers
    together since '03 / married since '14 / started TTC Dec '14 / Holy shit! BFP 12/28/14!
    Sept '15 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yep I'll be drinking coffee! I did with both kids. I'm not going to be drinking starbucks everyday but definitely coffee in my Togo mug.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I switched to half-caff. I'm a coffee addict and it hasn't bothered me switching. 
    DH: 28 Me: 30~TTC #2 since June 2014
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP #1: 8/22/2014~EDD: 5/5/2015~CP: 8/29/2014
    BFP #2: 12/27/2014~EDD: 9/9/2015

September 2015 Siggy challenge: Happy dance
  • Options
    I havea 5 year old, almost 4 year old, and almost 2 year old. School drop offs 5 days a week at 2 different schools. It just wouldn't be safe to be on the roads if I didn't have coffee. I drink 2 normalish size cups a day. For all of my babies. Perfectly fine here!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • Options
    I switched to decaf cuz I'm high risk for miscarriage. But i NEED even the pretend morning coffee!
  • Options
    I didn't with my last, but I am with this one.

imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Yes, absolutely. Probably half-caff during 1st tri, then back to a cup of high octane as the pregnancy progresses.
    September '15 siggy challenge: Happy Dance
    dancing,ron swanson,gifs,drunk,funny
  • Options
    I did last pregnancy. Hardly cut down really. But about 6 months ago I switched to Tea and it kinda stuck. So inadvertently I'm off coffee for this pregnancy. I drink both caffeinated and caffeine free varieties. Don't think caffeine is too much of a problem.
  • Options
    Yes, I'm not giving up my coffee! Lol
  • Options
    I'm Going to drink a cup (like a single k-cup) a day . That's it though.
    I have been sick this week so not drinking it ... So thinking Maybe I can do half and half . Either way I think a cup is fine. I'm a total B without my coffee!! :)
  • Options
    My what to expect book says you can have a small cup. I'm trading my coffee budget for organic food though. I actually have a lot more energy from my morning non fat yogurt with walnuts and my organic gala apple than my vente cinnamon dolce latte at Starbucks. Though i do miss it and my baristas
  • Options
    I cut out coffee when I found out I was pregnant and other than the occasional sip of soda I don't consume much caffeine. I'm bf my 12 month old so it'd probably for the best anyways!
  • Options
    I switched to decaf with my first and I'm trying to do the same this time. If I'm really dragging some days, I'm not going to be a martyr but I'll stick with decaf as much as I can.
  • Options
    With the last pregnancy the best advice I got from my birthing class was that it's ok to have small amounts of caffeine as long as you drink double the water to make up for he dehydration effect. So for my cup of coffee I then drink two equal size cups of water. 1)I need the caffeine in my job or else I'll kill someone.
    2) the coffee and extra water was essential, I believe, to not get constipated. I honestly felt fantastic for the majority of my pregnancy in that aspect.
  • Options
    My OB said one cup is fine and I did with my last pregnancy but since I have been feeling sick I have no taste for it yet. If I'm feeling better in a few weeks I'll be back on my one cup of Dunkin.
  • Options
    My taste for coffee went away when I became pregnant.
  • Options
    Haha oh yes I will drink coffee. I cut down with both my last pregnancies and have again this time. I'm trying to get down to one a day....we'll see how that goes. Last pregnancy I had 2 weeks where I couldn't stand coffee. It was the worst two weeks ever!!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I have read that you can have up to 200mg of caffeine per day safely.  Just check to see how much your drinks are.  I have 2 cups of a K-cup cappuccino every day.  I checked with the company and they said their coffees are only 15-30mg of caffeine per kcup so I'm sticking with my 2 cups.  Also, be aware that decaf coffee DOES have caffeine, just smaller amounts.  I think with my last pregnancy, I saw that my Starbucks Grande Frapp had 15mg of caffeine, even though it was a decaf coffee. 
    Me: 43 DH: 39 - AMA, DOR
    Mommy to Sami (IVF), Born 8.30.13
    Surprise non-assisted BFP - 12.29.2014, Beta 1 = 322, Beta 2 = 760
    EDD 9.7.2015

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Options
    SWBrigadoonSWBrigadoon member
    edited January 2015
    I'm continuing to drink my latte every morning, but I cut it down from two Nespresso pods to one. I did this last pregnancy and my midwife said it was fine, as long as you stick to one drink per day, and it's a regular size (a triple trente espresso drink with extra shots does not count).  I drink Rooibos chai later in the day or at night if I feel the need for another hot drink. 

Edit: typo
    Sept. '15 Siggy Challenge: Happy Dance

BabyGaga

Mommy of DS born 6/13/2013, and 3 furbabies
  • Options
    I switched to decaf before my last cycle before we conceived. Because I only drink it for the taste, so it makes more sense to not have that much caffeine if that's not why I need it. So it wasn't a hard change. But I can only drink it occasionally now because it's been making me very sick most of the time. I've only been able to drink one cup like twice a week without the idea of it being absolutely nauseating. A huge change from my usual three cups everyday.
  • Options
    Still drinking away.  I've cut back also, but I REALLY miss my afternoon cup.  Two toddlers + pregnant = exhausted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"