Baby Showers

NEED ADVICE AND LOCATION: Baby Shower Being Hosted by Out of State Family

My wonderful sister-in-law has offered to host my baby shower, but lives out of state. She insists I not host the gathering in my home so I can enjoy the day. However, I have a LARGE family and have narrowed my list to as few as possible, but still have 40 guests. I checked with one friend I thought would be comfortable hosting, but due to the stress of a potential lay-off, she is reticent to agree. I have been searching high and low for an affordable location, but cannot find one locally. I have even checked with those who have access to a community center where they live, but even those are in the 100s to rent for a few hours. Other family and friends do not have the space for a shower that size. I'm not supposed to stress, but I am!

Re: NEED ADVICE AND LOCATION: Baby Shower Being Hosted by Out of State Family

• I was originally thinking a park would be great (I'm in Southern CA), however, the shower will be early/mid March and the weather is still quite questionable then, so, it needs to be indoors.
  • Bubbles, based off of the recommendations on MANY other posts I read first about determining a location (on this site and others), I checked with members (one) of the guest list I thought would be willing and wanting to host. My list, though large, is comprised of my closest, most trusted family and friends, who would, and have been there for me. Under any other circumstances, my friend would've taken it on without hesitation, and would have LOVED being asked to take on a special part of my shower, and was not the least bit offended, though I could see how one might take it that way. Precisely why I haven't asked the 39 others on my list to host (I agree with you). I have no intentions of backing anyone into a corner or being presumptuous. And, given that we have some other out of town people on the guest list, trying to find a location is of the essence so my SIL can send out the invitations with time for people to plan for travel.

My SIL is trying to do the legwork, but it's a little tricky with where I live, as I am slightly off the beaten path. I find it incredibly kind that she is so willing, and am not taking it on, but merely trying to find leads for HER to follow up on, out of a return of kindness to her. No toe stepping here!

Thank you, though, for the reminder that this is for her to enjoy planning and for me to enjoy attending. Still hoping for ideas!
  • Loading the player...
  • I would ask local churches if they have a room available.  Not a fellowship hall but a regular room that can accomodate your guests.  

We had my sister's shower in a community room of a medical building and I want to say it was free too.
  • VORVOR member
    edited January 2015
    Is your house big enough? If so, just do it there. If your SIL balks, just tell her you can't find another option and you really don't have the time to keep looking. It's nice that she doesn't want you to do it, but to not do it at your house is clearly a pain too.

ETA: fixed some bad spelling.  Hell.
  • LisaW2015 said:
    Bubbles, based off of the recommendations on MANY other posts I read first about determining a location (on this site and others), I checked with members (one) of the guest list I thought would be willing and wanting to host. My list, though large, is comprised of my closest, most trusted family and friends, who would, and have been there for me. Under any other circumstances, my friend would've taken it on without hesitation, and would have LOVED being asked to take on a special part of my shower, and was not the least bit offended, though I could see how one might take it that way. Precisely why I haven't asked the 39 others on my list to host (I agree with you). I have no intentions of backing anyone into a corner or being presumptuous. And, given that we have some other out of town people on the guest list, trying to find a location is of the essence so my SIL can send out the invitations with time for people to plan for travel.

My SIL is trying to do the legwork, but it's a little tricky with where I live, as I am slightly off the beaten path. I find it incredibly kind that she is so willing, and am not taking it on, but merely trying to find leads for HER to follow up on, out of a return of kindness to her. No toe stepping here!

Thank you, though, for the reminder that this is for her to enjoy planning and for me to enjoy attending. Still hoping for ideas!

You read posts that said to scour your guest list for potential hostesses? You should probably go ahead and ignore that advice.
  • I also agree to have it in your home if it is big enough. I threw a baby shower for my best friend at her house and she didn't have to lift a finger, myself and the other hosts set up while she got her hair done and a mani/pedi. Once the shower was over her husband and the hosts cleaned up everything. It was also convenient because she didn't have to drive around with the big gifts- they were already in her house. I'd reconsider and have it at your house.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I agree with your home. My shower is supposed to be a surprise and was going to be thrown in my home (my H knew about it). I understand the plans have changed - but I actually have many friends whose showers were thrown at their home by friends/family members. Everyone else just did all the cleaning/decorating. It's also easier because you don't have to transport gifts!
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"