Stay at Home Moms

hopping over from WM board: going part time

I am currently working full time as a pharmacist and take on extra shifts. I am pregnant with #3 (due in July), DD will be 3 soon and DS will be 1 in February. I am considering going part time (3 days a week) after my mat leave with #3 is done. We would like to keep the door open for 4 kids in the future. We have a retirement savings plan, education fund for our 2 kids and DH carries our insurance. We are going to discuss the change with our financial advisor in the next few weeks to get guidance from him on how to prepare our investments for the change in income.

Is there anything else I need to do/consider? Part of me is nervous about making the change because I want to be smart financially, but I get overwhelmed by the idea of working full time with 3 kids and want to be able to enjoy weekends and our family life more than I am currently able to while trying to keep everything in order (activities, chores, food, work etc).

Re: hopping over from WM board: going part time

• I currently working W,TH, and F and it is awesome! I am loving the schedule and feel like our lives are a lot less chaotic. For us it wasn't a big financial burden since I still cover the insurance for my family and the pay cut wasn't too much. The weekends are a lot less chaotic for us because I do most of our errands on M or Tu so we have a lot more family time.

All in all I feel more relaxed and present at home and work. I think you are smart to meet with your advisor as he can probably give you a few things to consider that you might not be thinking of. The only other thing I would consider would be if it didn't work out how hard would it be to go back to full time? 

GL with the transition, I'm sure you will love it. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 6.19.11 ~ EDD 2.23.12 ~ CP on 6.22.11
    BFP #2 7.23.11 ~ EDD 3.28.12 ~ MC on 8.16.11
    BFP #3 11.17.11~ EDD 7.31.12 ~ MC on 1.18.12
    BFP #4 4.12.12 ~ EDD 12.25.12~ Born on 12.26.12
  • I work part time and we love it! It is the perfect balance for our family. The biggest change I can think of that you didn't mention is sick/vacation days. Going part time meant I didn't get those anymore which has been fine so far, but it is a change to not be able to get paid for days off if you are used to that. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"