Parenting
Options

Flowers in the Attic Book Club Week 2 chapters 6-10

Sorry! I was really busy today.

Corrine is still the worst. I was so mad when she flounced into the attic after going sailing. She pisses me off every time she comes to visit though.

Re: Flowers in the Attic Book Club Week 2 chapters 6-10

• Options
    She angered me by this point of the book and it only gets worse as the book goes on. This is about in the book where I changed my views on her. She is dreadful. The grandmother is miserable, I hate at every point in the book when she brings the children food. How magical you must be to terrify all four children. 
  • Options
    Yay for book club!

Yeah I can't figure out who is worse, the Grandmother who is just pure evil, or Corrine who seems to be enjoying being rich while her kids are locked up. Sure she brings the kids presents, but that probably helps any guilt she might feel and of course she probably thinks that it makes her kids love her more.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I started reading, can I join? I don't know which chapter I'm on but I think past six. Corinne is the worst, to the grandma the children are nothing but she is their mom. I'm not liking the incesty stuff though.
  • Options
    bay511 said:
    I hate the mother and grandmother, but I hate the mother more. Her version of abuse is much more subtle but I think more harmful in the long run.
    @Bay511 I agree with you. The way she uses herself as a commodity to the children sickens me. She is out playing in the sunshine, jetting off to places and feeling no uncomfortableness at all when her children are locked up 24/7 and oh you brought them new clothes and shoes, and some toys....add some candy and your a perfect mother. Then to start coming less and less when you know that is all your children are looking forward to its shameful. 
  • Options
    PineappleLeviosa I agree 100% with your post. I read the book all the way in just a few days, But each week I have tried to stay in the part of the book we are in here. Last week I was recalling my immediate feelings for her, they were not SO bad. Then as these chapters were in this week were read I remember growing more and more angry at her. By this point in the book I can say I had as much disgust for her as for her mother (their grandmother). 

• Options
    @CeeBug I 100% could have wrote your post, I am just not so good with words. 
  • Options

I started reading, can I join? I don't know which chapter I'm on but I think past six. Corinne is the worst, to the grandma the children are nothing but she is their mom. I'm not liking the incesty stuff though.

Yep, anyone can join anyone can join at any time!
  • Options
    Corrine at the Christmas party was so gross. I was so pissed off that she let them watch. She's basically punishing them for being born and holding her back from the new life that she could be having. That's why she flaunts her tan skin and sailing outfits when they're struggling to get enough sunlight.

• Options
    Also all the money that she was spending on gifts could have easily paid for a small apartment somewhere.
  • Options
    I love the entire "Flowers in the Attic" series! I won't give away the ending or anything. But read all 4 books to understand the history of the Dollangangers. Great choice in books!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Sometimes I can't tell who I hate more the Grandmother or Corrine.

I hate the way Corrine flaunts her freedom in front of the kids and how she buys their love with stuff rather than putting money away to actually be able to make it on her own. She is gross and her forms of abuse are subtle and disgusting.

I also can't believe how different I feel about this book now from when I first read it in middle school, being a mother total changed my perspective on so much of what happened in these first 10 chapters.

~*~*~You're Such A Pretty Melody, I'm Just Another Tattooed Tragedy~*~*~
    FKA: Mireland23  image
  • Options
    I couldn't help it, I finished the book. Rule breaker over here.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I don't understand how Chris doesn't see it what is going on, especially after the Christmas party. Those kids are clearly being treated poorly.
    He is a 1/2 glass full kind of person. He wants to see the good in his mother and he will believe in her till the very end. I think also because she is their only hope of getting out of that damned attic he does not want to give up on her because that means they are never getting out and that might drive him batty. 

• Options
    Chris can't see what's going on because Corrine uses and manipulates him like every other man in her life. He worships and adores her and she uses it to her fullest advantage.
  • Options
    I also just noticed that my office is in the attic and I have flower artwork on my walls.....
  • Options
    I also just noticed that my office is in the attic and I have flower artwork on my walls.....
    Are you getting any sunshine? I would be changing my artwork ASAP ;)
  • Options
    Lol I really love my office but now it's kinda creeping me out. The twins break my heart all throughout the book. They couldn't have a doctor come because they couldn't trust the Dr. to keep their secret.
  • Options
    bay511 said:

Lol I really love my office but now it's kinda creeping me out. The twins break my heart all throughout the book. They couldn't have a doctor come because they couldn't trust the Dr. to keep their secret.

But the Hippocratic oath and all that. No? I JUST WANT THEM TO BE OK!!!1!!1!1
    The doctor wouldn't have to disclose who his patients were or why he treated them but he could still tell people that there are 4 children in the attic. It would cause a major scandal and Corrine would definitely be out of the will for good. They also might have been avoiding blackmail. The grandmother is too cheap to pay and Corrine is too selfish.

• Options

I can understand why Chris doesn't see it, it infuriates me but I understand. Not only is he the closest to their mother and he idolizes her but it's common for children of abusers to continue to want to be with their abusers. When you are dependent on someone bein without them is just as frightening as any abuse or maltreatment.

You're right. Their relationship has never been normal. He is infatuated with her in an unhealthy way and she uses that to control and manipulate him. He can't believe anything bad about her because he's been groomed not to.
  • Options
    CeeBug said:

I think this is why I feel such panic for the kids. (I haven't finished the book)

How in the world can she bring the kids out now without a scandal? She has been out with friends, sailing, maybe going to school, and now has had a huge Christmas party. How can she introduce four children now?

I had a similar thought as I read these chapters and the coming ones.

• Options
    I can understand why Chris doesn't see it, it infuriates me but I understand. Not only is he the closest to their mother and he idolizes her but it's common for children of abusers to continue to want to be with their abusers. When you are dependent on someone bein without them is just as frightening as any abuse or maltreatment.
    You're right. Their relationship has never been normal. He is infatuated with her in an unhealthy way and she uses that to control and manipulate him. He can't believe anything bad about her because he's been groomed not to.
    I think it's the relationship with the sister that isn't normal. I feel like the way he feels about his mom is normal, remember how Catherine was with her Dad before he died? No different really. She idolized him.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

I think it's the relationship with the sister that isn't normal. I feel like the way he feels about his mom is normal, remember how Catherine was with her Dad before he died? No different really. She idolized him.

I don't think that Cathy's relationship with her dad would have ever gotten to where Chris and Corrine were. The next chapter sealed that for me. Yes, Chris's relationship with Cathy is too intimate but that strikes me as more of a learned behavior.
  • Options
    I just started the book Wednesday, but I think I'm on chapter 9. It's thanksgiving, not yet christmas.

Immediately I started thinking that this book will be too sad for me to read right now. The twins get me, especially when Cory wasn't breathing and then they were sick. It pulls at my mommy-guilt and makes me want to cuddle my DS more because kids should be cuddled.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"