Toddlers: 24 Months+

Bedtime hell XP from BM board

We're in the process of completely re-sleep training DS. I don't know what happened. He was sleeping through the night until just before Christmas. Then it all went to shit. He's extremely clingy at bedtime. He either wants me to rock him or stand there and rub his back until he's asleep. Which I don't really have a problem with. The issue is he'll randomly wake up at 2, 3 or 4 o clock in the morning and expect to be soothed to sleep in the same manner. Which doesn't always work and he flips out if I try to leave the room at all. So last night I decided to let him cry it out. It lasted two hour (with me going up to check on him every 10-15 minutes). I was in tears :(

Maybe something developmental is going on? He's been really stubborn and fighting me during the day as well. On everything. Going to the bathroom, changing clothes, eating lunch...etc. Anyone else going through this?

Married: August 2008
DS born: February 2013
TTC #2: Nov. 14
Chemical pregnancy 09/16/15
BFP: 12/25/15 EDD: 09/04/16

Re: Bedtime hell XP from BM board

• Why can't you just soothe him to sleep in the MOTN for a few nights/weeks until this phase passes? 
    That's what I've been doing. It's not working.
    I'm not sure why you let him cry for 2 hours... Is he teething?
    I didn't let him cry for two hours straight. I kept going up trying to calm him down. He's got all his teeth except the two year molars. I tried to look in his mouth but he wasn't having it.
  • Have you considered a possible ear infection?  Sleep going to shit is always the first sign of ear infection for DS.  And he's never had a fever with one.  The other possibility is just a phase especially with the holidays.  

During the day try to let him make as many decisions as possible.  Some days DS doesn't care what he wears, what he eats, etc and other days he fights everything.  How did he fall asleep before this?  Were you rocking him before and then he just started waking up?  Rocking your LO to sleep is fine until it's affecting his ability to sleep (which if he's waking up multiple times per night it is).  After the initial two hours how did he do?  Did he continue his wake-ups?  Did you have any improvement last night?

Honestly, I would do what you did.  If my child is sick I do what they need.  Otherwise I expect them to fall asleep on their own in their own bed and stay there.  I understand it does suck.  When we did it with DS I wore headphones between check-ins.  I could still hear him crying but it was quieter and didn't get me so grated.  Was your H alternating check-ins with you?  I find that helps a lot because the stress doesn't fall on just one person.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Update: So last night was much better. He only cried a little bit when we put him down for bed. Daddy has the magic touch right now. I don't know what it is. No middle of the night wake ups either. Hopefully this trend continues.

• We have been dealing with the same thing but for 2 months! It's inconcositant. She will sleep sometimes and then other times she won't. We also had the problem of her freaking out at bedtime. After some time she told us she was scared. We are working through it. It's not easy. Consider the fact that he may be having nightmares or he might be scared of the dark.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"