Single Parents

Toddler routines

I'm posting this here, because I feel comfortable with this group of moms. I don't know if I should really be posting a new thread on this subject, but here goes...

I have to say, first of all, that I work in retail. I work part-time, between 20 and 24 hours, on average. While I usually have Saturdays off, because I'm unavailable (no daycare), I don't know what my work schedule is going to be one week to the next. Some weeks I work mostly days. Then the schedule changes and I'm back to evenings, which can be as late as 11pm. I can't do a whole lot to limit the hours I'm available, because it will change my status for health insurance. The more limitations I put on my availability, the less hours they have to give me. If I work under 20 hours a week, I lose my insurance for the month- which is really the MAIN reason I stay with my company.

Because of my messed up work schedule, my two-year-old is a night owl. I have only had her on a "routine" for about six months last year. Our vacation and an unexpectedly hot summer, altered our sleeping arrangements, and she shares my bed now. I would really like to get her back in her crib, and on more of a routine. I just feel like it's such a traumatic issue for her. Last night, she fell asleep on my lap so I put her in the crib. She woke up a little after midnight, screaming, and didn't stop for nearly an hour. 

She is also teething and miserable. 

We live with my parents, and my mom babysits while I'm at work. My mother would like me to work in the evenings, so she can have her days free. If I'm working till 11pm, though, my mom would have to put DD to sleep at night. I guess that's not a big deal if she's sleeping in the crib. I worry about messing with her, and making her feel like she's being punished in the crib. But I also need her out of my bed soon, sleeping and waking at a decent time.

Re: Toddler routines

• My ds hates being walled in. Cribs and pnps have never worked long term for him. Im looking for a toddler bed for him now due to him bein almost 18 months.

My ds has more of a routine then a scheduale. First there is supper and following supper there is bath time if he needs it. Hell play in the bath as long as i let him and ill let him play till he gets cold. Then i get him out change him into pajamas take him downstairs to play with his toys for about an hour. Once he starts getting tired we read two or three books then go up to bed.

He cuddles with his mickey while we do the bounce and sway and i sing him songs.

As far as what i sing. It varries, we always do jesus loves me, stile nicht, and once upon a dream. I sing anything that comes to mind as long as its slow and relaxing.

Ds does sleep with me or if im at work and dont make it back to my parents house after work due to bad roads b sleeps with my parents.

Could you try something for your dd to snuggle with. When b was real young probably 6 months till 14 months he had a small stuffes monkey named coconut that he would sleep with and id wear in my shirt so the monkey smelled like me. You could always try that.
  • Not sure how old your LO is, but couldyou transition to a toddler bed?  Maybe chalk it up as a big exciting thing, to motivate her to stay in her own space?

As far as your hours at work go- there doesn't seem to be much you can do about that right now, so it sounds like you have a good arrangement with your mom helping you out.  I could maybe see this being more of an issue as LO gets older and has to go to school (meaning wake up early and be on a schedule).

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Loading the player...
  • I see that your DD is 2...you might consider the toddler bed. And a schedule is great but a routine is better, as @minnesotamomma91 said. As long as she's still getting an adequate amount of sleep, having her up late isn't so awful. Just make sure she has a consistent routine so that if you need to move her bedtime up, you can stick with it and it will still signal to her body that sleep is coming. I'd also have your mom handle the nights you work late, if you can. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Throwing leaves <3
  • Thank you for your responses, ladies. I've been reading up on bedtime routines and things NOT to do before bed. That seems to be more helpful than worrying about a strict schedule. I'm not really that type of person, anyway. I'm more flexible and like to "go with the flow". I think that's how we got into this situation in the first place. Haha...

• My biggest suggestion is to keep bedtime as relaxing.
  • Oh, yeah. I have dimming lights in almost every room in the house. At 7:00, we start dimming all the lights. The TV either gets turned off or volume turned off. Usually about 7:30 (sometimes later), DD will start trying to climb on my lap for her last milk of the night before falling asleep. This is what works with us. The trick is to find what flows best.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I had to work to get my son out of bed and getting him to sleep through the night is still a work in progress, but one thing I have done is put him to sleep in his crib and then I lay on the floor 9with a pillow and blanket) and stay with him until he falls asleep.  I don't like the idea of leaving him alone and scared or crying it out and it has worked out ok.  It isn't ideal, but it is what we do to make due for now.  He still is in his crib and I get to sleep in my bed after he falls asleep. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My son and I can not sleep in the same bed together now that he is older... he likes his own space and I like mine (even though there are some nights where he wants to be under mommy).

Routine is the key and not so much schedule. Someone asked me when is The Lil Emperor's bedtime, I always say between 830-10pm. And that is even when he is with the nanny (I work some late hours sometimes as well).

When I am off at a decent hour, it normally goes like this... about 7, 730 dinner (if the nanny hasnt fed him), 8pm bath time if he really needs it, jammies on, start dimming the lights in the house about 830, nightly pediasure, 9pm episode of Octonauts, switch on the lullaby station and lay together on the couch until he is sleep or until he fights it too much or when I fall asleep.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Just felt like updating:
    For the past week, DD has been doing much better. She's still in my bed, though, and I've resigned myself to the fact that that may not change any time soon. I'm gonna take her crib apart and store it. It's the kind that will transition to a toddler bed, so maybe I'll put it back together when she's a little older.

My parents and I switched rooms, so I have the Master bedroom downstairs and they each have their own room upstairs. (Ha ha. They both snore, so they sleep better separated.) In the evening, my parents go upstairs around 9. That has helped a ton, because my mom watches TV really loudly. I usually turn the living room TV off after they go upstairs, and it's pretty quiet so DD relaxes easier. We play quietly or read books for a while, get ready for bed, and then I turn the lights off.

The times that we're going to bed have varied, but what you all said is true- it really is more about the routine. I also learned I just have to be more strict about bedtime. She has thrown fits, but I don't give in and eventually she tires herself out. Thanks again for all the advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"