July 2014 Moms
Options

anyone else just feel like a hot mess?

I still have some weight to lose so I don't want to invest in many new clothes but I just feel like a hot mess all the time. I feel like I never look "put together" and really don't know where to start. I went shopping today and got a couple shirts from the limited, a new pair of jeans and a pair of dress shoes which I brought home and my husband said looked like old lady shoes. I really want to hop on the boot/skinny jean/legging trend but really don't want to do that since I don't want a bunch of clothes I hope I won't wear long. I also feel that I'm having an identity crisis as I'm now a mom of 2 almost in my 30s and while I don't necessarily think I'm old I just really don't know what to wear...anyone have any advice or outfit ideas??

Re: anyone else just feel like a hot mess?

• Options
    Sort of. I'm sloooooooowly losing the baby weight. Since I'm home, I do tend to wear yoga pants, hoodies or track jacket type things a lot. When I do get dressed, I wear skinnies, Toms, and a top or sweater or cardi/scarf. Most of the tops I'm reaching for in my closet right now are from Loft.
  • Options
    I've felt like a hot mess since I had my son 3 years ago. I feel like I'm always last in this family, even though DH doesn't want me to be it's just the way I think of myself. I guess a lot of moms feel that way. I'm not good at spending money on my clothes & I dread clothes shopping so much because of my weight. I have a good 50 lbs to lose beyond what I've already managed to lose. I want to be my husband's hottie again.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I bought my in between wardrobe at target the gap, and old navy (i love their pixie pants) mostly very simple 3 quarter length sleeve shirts, jeans, two pairs of pixie pants, a few button down shirts and some tank tops. I dress these looks up or down with accessories. I wear a lot of gauzy scarves, stud earrings (baby will pull anything that dangles) and sturdy nursing / teething necklaces that I bought from etsy. All together I spent about $400.
    I'm very happy with my clothing, but I'm not at all happy with my figure. My supply takes a huge hit whenever I try to diet and I haven't figured out how to exercise with a baby. So I still have about 30 lbs to loose. :-(
  • Options
    I'm a goodwill and clearance sale shopper. I picked up 2 pair of jeans and two shirts for $25. I got a new cost, fleece zip up, sweater and a couple scarves for Christmas. I'm holding off on any other purchases until I can lose another 10-15 pounds. My diet is ok, so ramping up my time at the gym should get rid if that weight.
  • Options
    Super hot mess over here. Put me in the 50+ lbs to lose club, I don't even recognize myself lol. Clothes are mainly sweats and basics, I have tons of barely worn clothes from like 5 sizes ago so I refuse to buy more for this size. I'm home with DD but in still frustrated at myself for my lack of effort so that's one of my resolutions. We're also going to Disney World in May/June so I have a deadline. DH and I are started DDP yoga so hopefully I get my groove back!
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • Options
    Is there an Ann Taylor factory store by you? They have really cute loose fitting shirts, and really cheap
  • Options
    I am a hot mess, too.  My weight is fine, but it's just dressing and taking care of myself.  I've never been a fashionista, but do like to look somewhat pulled together.  My typical office look is jeans and a sweater of some sort (super casual engineering office).  If I'm feeling somewhat fashion forward, I'll wear my one pair of skinnies with boots and a nicer (longer) sweater.  I just don't like clothes shopping.  We've got the money, I just don't have the time, energy, patience, know-how, etc. to have a successful shopping trip.  When the kids are out of daycare and we have a ton more money, I'm seriously thinking about hiring a stylist.

My make-up routine sucks, too.  My skin is broken out.  Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.  I just want to pay someone $10K to do my hair, do my make-up and take me shopping.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I got my hair cut today for the first time since LO was born so I'll feel good for about a day until I wash it and end up pulling it back in a boring pony tail.
  • Options
    Saaaaaaame here. My spur-of-the-moment (very regretted) chop from last year is growing out, finally, and I lost the baby weight. But now I'm almost 2 months into the next pregnancy. I feel like I never got on top of things after Junie was born, and now I'm about to slide right back into pregnancy weight gain and laziness. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    40 lbs to loose here. nothing fits right. my weird belly is so awkward. I can't seem diet properly. I just grab what's on hand. and exercising I feel like I am lucky to shower most days. adding exercising seems to never happen. I feel lost unorganized and frumpy. I really miss the old life. I love our LO don't etc me wrong. but the stress makes me miss the old days. I keep telling myself it will get better.
  • Options
    @mustangholly‌
    Hugs girl! I hope you get to feeling better soon. I know it's hard, but just think of all of the joy and laughter that LO will bring you.

We have our "Irish Twins"

DD born 8/7/2013

DS born 7/28/14

<>

• Options
    Thanks for the commiserating ladies..maybe we can at least find comfort that we are not alone in our awkwardness. I went to a store today and picked out a few tops since I got an email with a good sale, took them up and was told they don't go by the email that was sent out...so I left that shit there and will be waiting until they have an in store sale..ugh!! To PP about Ann taylor..no outlets close by and I agree to the cuteness..was at loft yesterday but can't justify the $$ when things aren't on sale...heres to a new year for us feeling fit and fashionable!! We need a stylist!
  • Options
    just a side note. I went to the loft website. www.loft.com
    I can't stop laughing it big bold letter is says HOT MESS. Rofl. yes loft I am.
  • Options
    I just purged a bunch of clothes yesterday. I got rid of just about all my "maybe someday" clothes. It's nice stuff and I hate to get rid of it but I just don't see myself wearing it anytime in the next year so might as well give it to someone who can.

I also decided I really need to find something to do for me outside the house. It's so hard with DH's travel schedule to commit to anything but it needs to happen.
  • Options
    LeaLupins said:
    I just purged a bunch of clothes yesterday. I got rid of just about all my "maybe someday" clothes. It's nice stuff and I hate to get rid of it but I just don't see myself wearing it anytime in the next year so might as well give it to someone who can. I also decided I really need to find something to do for me outside the house. It's so hard with DH's travel schedule to commit to anything but it needs to happen.

I did this a few weeks ago. It's so nice, now I just need to go shop...

• Options
    I did the same. feels great to get rid of it. I am not happy with current size. bit I need to feel better. so I decided to buy just a few cute larger out fits to feel better about myself. can't wait till they arrive.
  • Options
    I am so glad I am not alone here! I have about 25 lbs to lose and it is stubbornly staying put. I don't feel out together and don't have the energy to go shopping for fat clothes. But putting on cloth that don't fit me well makes me feel horrible, especially because before I got pregnant I was in my best shape ever (after having lost 75 lbs). So while I know I'm not as bad as I was then, mentally it feels like it.

• Options
    I wrote a lot more (stupid mobile app)! Just complaining that I'm comparing myself to a friend who had a baby 4 months before me and got back down to her PP weight within 4 months. I find myself comparing myself to her, because we were the same size and very similar body shapes before.

• Options
    I've lost the weight but three back to back pregnancies have shifted everything! My old clothes don't fit right anymore and I need new ones. I agrees with PP that having clothes that fit right makes you feel a lot better about yourself.

My problem is that the nearest place to buy clothes is 1.5 hours away and my LO (whom I BF and would have to come with) is a horrible traveler. I feel taking him won't allow for me to get much shopping done. And I don't want to buy online because I feel I need to try on some stuff to figure out what this new body needs.

Eventually, though. In the meantime, every month I put this shopping off I'm adding more to the budget for this spree.
  • Options
    I lost all of my weight and I'm back to prepregnancy weight. That sounds awesome until the reality of that statement kicks you in the gut. Nothing fits the same I feel like damaged goods. And that's sad considering the before product wasn't really much to be desired. All I know is I have a pretty gnarly c-section scar and a fupa now. I also jacked my hair off from work he middle of my back to an extreme pixy cut. So now I look like one of the heavy set wt women that ride scooters in Walmart. If that's not a hot mess I don't know what is. You will get the weight off just do what I do try to avoid human contact and mirrors sometimes it works
  • Options

@stellabunny you are so right. I bought 2 pair of pants & a couple of shirts this week. It totally changed the way I felt about myself when I walked out the door today. I actually said this out loud, "Oh yeah! I have cute new clothes!" I felt so happy. I also felt kind of lame that I forgot I had nice clothes. :/

I've been doing Body For Life since Jan 2 & am already seeing good progress. I weigh & measure this weekend. I'm hoping my measurements go down.

• Options
    Like most of us none of my prepreg clothing fits right even though I'm about th same weight as before. I like to blame my enormous boobs but my hips/ass have changed shape as well. Like some have said I too have gone on a shopping spree to purchase clothes that make me feel good, but still haven't cleaned out the old stuff. My closet and drawers are a mess. Of course my DDs clothes are all switched out and perfectly folded or hung, but my things are everywhere. I keep saying "tomorrow" I'll get to it, but it never happens. Needless to say I have a fight with my wardrobe every morning in order to leave the house looking moderately presentable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"