October 2014 Moms

WWYD: BM storage

ok so freshly pumped milk is good at room temp 4-6 hrs. I pump a bottle at 10 and leave it out for first MOTN feeding, and tonight there were 4 oz left at 0345. Can I throw it in the fridge? Is it good because I either used or put in fridge within 6 hrs or do yall think that is pushing it?

Re: WWYD: BM storage

• thanks ladies!!!!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I would throw it in the fridge but sniff/taste it before giving it to the baby just to make sure it's still good. I definitely wouldn't freeze it though. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Fridge for sure... 

View Full Size Image
  • ss265 said:
    I would throw it in the fridge but sniff/taste it before giving it to the baby just to make sure it's still good. I definitely wouldn't freeze it though. 

I've heard this said, but what would it smell/taste like if it was bad?

Also, what is the deal with the freezing? Should you only freeze freshly pumped milk? If so I've effed that one up for sure :0/

• I totally was thinking you were asking about the other bm and I was all like...

Disgusted Gross animated GIF

glad your question got answered!

• That is legit interesting!!!
  • NavyFlyer said:
    ss265 said:
    I would throw it in the fridge but sniff/taste it before giving it to the baby just to make sure it's still good. I definitely wouldn't freeze it though. 

I've heard this said, but what would it smell/taste like if it was bad?

Also, what is the deal with the freezing? Should you only freeze freshly pumped milk? If so I've effed that one up for sure :0/

Sorry, didn't check this thread again until today. 

I have frozen milk that was stored in the fridge for a few days but since you left it out until almost the end of the recommended time period (I think it's 6 hours), I wouldn't want to freeze it in case it was bad when you thawed it to use it. If I'm not wrong, freezing only slows down bacterial growth not stops it completely. Usually if I leave milk out or in the fridge, I try and use it instead of freezing it. 

I'm assuming that you keep the milk out so that it's easier to heat up or serve at room temp if baby wakes up? What if baby doesn't wake up though?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"