January 2015 Moms
Options

1 cm at 38.5 weeks?

I'm currently only dilated 1 cm and 70% effaced. I feel like I should be dilated quite a bit more at this point. Baby was measuring 2+ weeks ahead throughout most of pregnancy. What's your experience?

Answers

• Options
    Anything can happen at any time, including labor. I know it sounds silly but try not to worry about it too much and just focus on being comfortable and getting ready for baby -- it will be sooner than you think!
  • Options
    Just as dilation doesn't tell you anything as far as when baby will come, size predictions aren't reliable either. Even if your baby has been measuring consistently 2 weeks ahead doesn't mean that they will be coming 2 weeks early, or that they will even be large babies.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    At my 35w5d check-up last week, I was 2cm. Yesterday's check-up, I was 2 1/2 cm. My doctor basically told me that it could probably happen any time (like any pregnancy), but I can also sit at 2 1/2 cm for a while (i.e. days/weeks).
  • Options

Like PPs have said, measuring ahead is 1) semi-accurate at best, and 2) does not mean your baby will come earlier. I'm in the 39w6d club and I am not even 1cm dilated all the way through. Baby could decide to come tomorrow, or could decide to wait until I'm induced on the 11th.

Try finding something to keep you busy and preoccupied instead of worrying about not being as dilated as you think you should be.

Jan15 December Siggy Challenge: Holiday Fails
    TTC Since 4/13 | Me: 28 DH: 29 | DX: PCOS + High T + Arcuate Uterus (11/13)
    Cycle #1+2 (4/13-6/13): Natural Cycles = BFN | Cycle #3+4 (6/13-11/13): Anovulatory (Provera)
    Cycle #5 (11/13-1/14): Femara + Clomid + Follistim = Cancelled | Cycle #6 (1/14-3/14): Benched
    Cycle #7 (3/14-4/14): Femara + Follistim + Estradiol + Pregnyl + Progesterone
    BFP: 4/22/14 | Due: 1/1/15 | TEAM BLUE!

• Options
    I had only half a centimeter of dilation with my first when I went in for my induction past my due date.  This time around, I've been sitting at 4 cm for 4 days now and nothing.  It's just one more thing for us to over analyze.  Obnoxious, isn't it?  It drives me crazy not knowing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I think everyone else has answered this pretty well. I would just add that not all women "walk around" dilated. I honestly have been somewhat jealous of those women wince my first was born.

My experience was, I was 0 cm at my 38 week appt. The next evening, my contractions started. It took me 24 hours of consistent contractions that were about 6-7 minutes apart just to get from 0-3. The idea of just walking around at a 3cm sounded lovely compared to what I went through, but that is just not how my body worked. Anyway, I went from 0 on a Tuesday to my son being born on Friday afternoon. Everyone's body works differently when it comes to labor. Good luck.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I didn't dilate at all until my induction at 41w4d. I would not worry about it, you're making progress just fine :)
  • Options
    My cervix stays zero'd I have had help each and every time to dilate, but when it starts it goes really quick. twice my water broke on its own and was dilated to zero...have never figured that one out.
    Still immune to tickers. Polite Canadian 99% of the time. SAHM of 7 soon to be 8. I read more than I post.
  • Options
    I'm 38 weeks 4 days I'm 1.5 dilated, 75% effaced amd baby is the -1 station, no changes since my 37 week appointment. I'm a first time mom as well. Hoping for quick and easy labor soon!
  • Options
    I'm a FTM at 38w 5d. I'm only 1.5 cm dilated. My doctor seems to have no concern about this, so I won't either. I figure every mommy and baby is different. I was born almost 2.5 weeks late, hubby born almost 2 weeks late, I figure I'm in this for the long haul.

Pregnancy Ticker

January '15 January Siggy Challenge: Newborn/Baby Fails

• Options
    With this LO, I've been dilated 3cm since 32 weeks (PTL). Finally started having some contractions earlier this week, but still no change as of this morning.

With my DD, I wasn't dilated at all when I went to L&D after having contractions for two days. 8 hours later, I was holding her.

Pregnancy Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    With my first at my 39 week appt I was 0 dilated and 0% effaced. He came 4 days early. My friend has been sitting at 4 cm for about 2 or 3 weeks. Every ones different!
    BabyFruit Ticker  

• Options
    At my 37 week appointment I was 30% effaced and 1cm but now at 38weeks my Ob didn't say I was effaced and only a finger tip dilated. I'm extremely frustrated since I was told I would go early since I've been having contractions that keep getting stronger... Next week I'm asking to plan a induction incase I don't go into labor this week.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers And Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Anyone not dilated and looking at a possible big baby? I'm getting nervous I'm 39 weeks and zero dilated....baby measuring 8 lbs 4 ounces. Is anyone facing this issue?
  • Options
    vouts625 said:

Anyone not dilated and looking at a possible big baby? I'm getting nervous I'm 39 weeks and zero dilated....baby measuring 8 lbs 4 ounces. Is anyone facing this issue?

What is the "issue"?

dx:  Unexplained IF
     TTC since May 2011, 1 year trying, and then 3 TI, 2 IUI = BFN
    IVF #1 (May 2013):  Antagonist Protocol: 
    24R, 18M, 15F w/ICSI; 5dt of 2 early blasts, no frosties = BFN
    IVF #2 (August 2013):  Lupron Stop Protocol: 
    28R, 23M, 15F w/ICSI; 5dt of 1 partially hatched blast, 7 frosties = BFP
    EDD 5/23/14, blighted ovum (6w6d), D&C (8w6d)
    FET #1 (April 2014):  transferred 2 5d blasts = BFP
    C.J. born 01/09/15

• Options
    vouts625 said:
    Not sure what you quite mean by issue, but my first was 8.5 lbs 3 days past due when they induced me and, as stated above, I was only half a centimeter dilated when I went in.

(And day 4 this time around being at at least 4 cm...  Cervix checks are driving me nuts this time around.  haha)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    vouts625 said:

I was 39 weeks and not dilated, and then DS was born at 39w2d, and he weighed 8 lbs 10 oz. The delivery went well. Like PPs said, you can go from not dilated at all to having a baby within less than a day.
  • Options
    saiven said:

vouts625 said:

You may want to read this:

https://evidencebasedbirth.com/evidence-for-induction-or-c-section-for-big-baby/
    Interesting. I guess DS wasn't that big since he was 8 lbs 10 oz, and the cutoff for "big babies" is 8 lbs 13 oz.

Also, wow to that mom who gave birth to an 11 lb baby vaginally and unmedicated.
  • Options
    Maebb said:

saiven said:

vouts625 said:

https://evidencebasedbirth.com/evidence-for-induction-or-c-section-for-big-baby/
    Interesting. I guess DS wasn't that big since he was 8 lbs 10 oz, and the cutoff for "big babies" is 8 lbs 13 oz.

Also, wow to that mom who gave birth to an 11 lb baby vaginally and unmedicated.
    Yeah my mom did that with my brother. Though he was only 10.5 lbs and the third child.
  • Options
    vouts625 said:

I wasn't at all with DS, I think I was maybe at a 1 by the time my 39 week appointment.  I delivered a healthy 8 pound 4 oz baby on my own with out induction at 39w6d.  No issues here. 

Every person is different, every baby is different.  Try not to stress too much about it. 

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    saiven said:

vouts625 said:

Good article
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"