2nd Trimester
Options

insurance options

I am just throwing this out here in hopes of some general ideas of others-I realize I would need to talk with our specific insurance company for the exact answers.

But my husband just sprung on me today a job offer he received. He will find out more Friday but I have a feeling he will want to go for it and I think it would actually be beneficial to us. The one catch here is that I am due to have our 2nd child in 3 & 1/2 months and our health insurance is through him. I am trying to recall some general ideas of how long your current insurance will continue to cover before going away as I am almost sure there will be a lapse in time at the new job (if he takes it) that he would get coverage for us. I do not currently have the option to get coverage at my job. I do have AFLAC so there will be a decent compensation coming in from them that can go toward our labor and delivery bill.

Just hoping some others can throw out numbers/timelines on ideas of how long current insurance will stay in place/how long until a new employer puts benefits in place for an employee..?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: insurance options

• Options

Oh man, that's a tough one. At my job, I only had to wait 30 days. I know someone else who got a job who has to wait 60 though.  I think the general timeframe is 30-90 days.  Which is right in the questionable area for you...Is there some kind of help through your state?

I hope whatever happens, happens for the best!

• Options

Thank you, I am very unsure of my options right now but will definitely look into things more after talking to my hubby more about this job opportunity. This job he is looking into is an employer that he had worked for in the past and with as badly as they want him to come back, I think part of me is hoping they could make the time to wait as short as possible. :)

Any continued answers are appreciated! I was also unsure about keeping up prenatal care appointments if we have a lapse.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know we looked into COBRA once before in the midst of a job change and the prices were astronomical. At that time we chose to have a small lapse with no insurance but I wouldn't want to do that in this case. I am talking with my own HR department now as our policy manual made it sound as though I could possibly have the option to sign up even though I did not during the open enrollment period.
  • Options
    Cobra premiums are crayyyyyzeee. My dad just died and my mom may have to use cobra until she can get insurance at her new job. My eyes about popped out of my head when I saw that shit. But it's better than nothing if all else fails.
  • Options
    With my job insurance started the day I started. I don't know about alternative plans but some of my girlfriends had to wait 90 days when theh started a new job and I had one girlfriend who had cobra but it cost more than paying out of pocket because you have to pay so much (thousands of dollars) before the insurance picks up the bill.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"