Trouble TTC

Ovulating naturally - how does this change my treatment plans?

I've been on levothyroxine for hypothyroidism for 3 months now (and my TSH is down below 2!), and the last two cycles I had a temp shift!!!  Last cycle it was a little unclear because I wasn't temping at the same time every day, but this cycle I was more careful about charting and the shift was unquestionable.  I was supposed to start treatment with Clomid last month but still haven't due to various circumstances.  We are planning to start treatment asap, but if this cycle is a bust I will likely get my period while on vacation and can't get monitoring so I'll likely have to miss another cycle.

The question is, if I'm now ovulating on my own, should I still be taking Clomid?  Should I just wait a few months and see what happens?  (I'm pretty hesitant to do this - because of my graduate program, if I don't get pregnant within the next 6 months we will likely need to take a long break while I finish the more intense part of the program.  Then again, I don't want to take dangerous drugs for no reason.)  Is there any other treatment I should be looking into instead?  So far my only diagnosis is hypothyroidism & "ovulatory dysfunction"; all my tests have come out normal.

I have an appointment scheduled with my RE but it is after my vacation (therefore I'll likely be well into the next cycle) and I like to be prepared with questions/ideas when I see him.

Thanks for your help!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
image image
TTC since October 2012
Me:  Ovulatory dysfunction, hypothyroid.  DH:  Normal!
Treatment:  Levothyroxine for thyroid; starting Clomid early 2015.
PAIF/SAIF All Welcome!

Re: Ovulating naturally - how does this change my treatment plans?

• BunnyBerryBunnyBerry member
    edited December 2014
    Since you've already reached the IF mark, I would not worry about taking Clomid extraneously - I ovulated every month on my own, but the RE decided it was necessary to put me on Letrozole because it increases chances even for women who ovulate.

But congrats, that must feel so good to know the meds are making such a different in your health! And I'm sure there is nothing wrong with trying a few months on your own, if that is your preference. But I wouldn't feel like I had to wait those out, if I were you. 
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • @BunnyBerry - Thanks for the advice.  I wasn't sure if it would still increase my chances.

Have other people heard the same from their RE, that taking Clomid or Femara will increase chances of conceiving even if you're already ovulating?

Thanks for the ovary fistbumps everyone!
    image image
    TTC since October 2012
    PAIF/SAIF All Welcome!
  • Loading the player...
  • Yay for ovulating on your own! There could be a variety of factors to consider when a Dr recommends the medication, I also appear to ovulate on my own and all of my other tests came back normal, but we have been diagnosed with unexplained infertility and my Dr has put me on fermera which seems to improve our chances. GL

************Siggy warning, LO & loss***************

Me 37 - DH 37 unexplained infertility
    DS born 09/99
    TTC since 2010
    12/11 BFP - ectopic, received methotrexate, benched 4 months 
    08/14 - exploring fertility options

Tubes clear, SA for DH all clear
    10/14- #1 IUI (femera/ovadril/progesterone), 2 follicles 22/17, post wash count 94 million BFN

10/14 - #2 IUI (Femera/ovidrel/progesterone ), 2 follies 19/20, post wash 111 million, BFN Dec 2014 Femera BFFN Taking a break to explore foster to adopt!

• We are on Femara this cycle as well. I also ovulate fine on my own and consistently between cd-15-18.

Our RE told us that the Femara will act as an enhancement to what my body is already doing.
    TTC#1 since October 2013
    M/C June 2014
    Monitored Cycle: October 2014
    Results: Everything Normal
    December 2014: Femara 5mg + Ovidrel + IUI = BFP
    12/01/2015 = HCG 39
  • I ovulate every month but my RE put me on clomid to give me a stronger ovulation (I'm 35 and have been trying over a year now). I got pregnant the first month on clomid, that unfortunately ended in a loss but I'm a believer in the medication to give a stronger O. Best of luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Me: 37 DH: 38 
    BFP #1 3/17/11 - DS born 12/4/11
    TFAS Dec 2013
    BFP #2 - 3/23/14 - CP 3/26/14
    BFP #3 - 8/20/14 - Natural Miscarriage 9/22/14
    BFP #4 - 1/28/15 - DS2 born 10/13/15
    Surprise BFP# 5 - 9/2/16 - Due 5/13/17

• @BunnyBerry - Thanks for the advice.  I wasn't sure if it would still increase my chances.

Have other people heard the same from their RE, that taking Clomid or Femara will increase chances of conceiving even if you're already ovulating?

Thanks for the ovary fistbumps everyone!
    Yes, femara and clomid are not just for women who are anovulatory.  They will help you produce better quality follicles.

• What does a stronger O mean exactly?  I thought you either ovulate or you don't but apparently that was a simplistic understanding.  What do you mean by quality of the follicles?

image image
    TTC since October 2012
    PAIF/SAIF All Welcome!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"