July 2015 Moms
Options

Are you telling your family...?

Are you going to tell your family the names you chose for your baby/babies?

DS - 3/29/06
DS - 11/13/09
DD - 4/20/11
EDD - 7/20/15
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Are you telling your family...?

• Options
    We have already told them since we have one picked for each sex. Most of our family loved the names we picked, those that didn't voiced their opinions already but too bad we're sticking with it.
    | DH 29 - Me 26 - Married 2007 | 2 Kids - 2 Fur Babies | Baby #3 Due July 2015 |

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    No!!! Heck no! :) Everyone has an opinion and my thoughts are that only me and my dh's opinion matters! I learned that with my first baby! For example, my sister wanted to name her first daughter Molly. She took such flack for it and no one liked the name so she went with Avery. She finally said, screw it, and named her third daughter Molly!

Mother of 4 beautiful babies - soon to be 5!
    Mikey - 11/08/2000
    Eden - 02/23/2003
    Alora - 04/07/2006
    Elsie - 07/08/2015
    Expecting a baby girl 11/01/2016!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    catahoulattecatahoulatte member
    edited December 2014
    Newp.

We went to the hospital with our top 3 and chose once he was born. I sincerely doubt we'll tell even if we choose before the baby is born this time. That's why I love the BNB so much! All honesty and they think of things I wouldn't. I know we'll use a legitimate name that has history and is spelled correctly, so any opinions we get on it would be unwarranted "I like it"s or "I hate it"s.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I had named set but I made the mistake of telling my family. They had nothing but awful things to say. So DH and I changed the name to the second choice and we aren't telling anybody IRL. It upsets me that people must be so rude, my family at that.

DS - 3/29/06
    DS - 11/13/09
    DD - 4/20/11
    EDD - 7/20/15
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I might tell my parents and my BIL/SIL, but I think that's it. 

I'm already on OPINION OVERLOAD. I'm going to spare myself where I can.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Yep! DH and I already told our families because we are sure of both of the names (just haven't picked out a middle name for a boy).
  • Options
    yeah why not!? We have an Italian last name, but my husband is only 25% Italian. My in-laws always hate our names because they aren't Italian enough, but that's too bad. With my daughter, they told us we still had time to change her name when we announced it to them. They didn't name their kids Italian names so I don't know why I would have to look like my kid's nanny calling them on the playground. I guess we just don't really care what people have to say. It's not like we're naming our kids names that are way out there. They're just more "wasp-y" than they would like...
  • Options
    No way. Not only is it fun to keep something a surprise since we are finding out and announcing the sex, but I also would rather not hear everyone's opinions. They can learn the name with the cute baby in their arms :)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I don't know yet. We named our son Jake Michael. And we picked that out the second we knew we were having a boy. And I caught so much shit for not naming him Jacob for all of the second and third trimester from my great grandma. It was beyong annoying. Im really stubborn so I would never let family members influence my choice but it drove me nuts and never heard the end of why I named him a nn instead of a full name.
  • Options
    @peepingtom who cares what they say?! It's YOUR baby! If you and your husband love it, use it! Trust me once you actually name the baby that, the comments will stop. My daughter's name is Arden. You should have heard the things my husband's family had to say. We loved it, didn't care and named her that anyway and I don't regret it at all.
  • Options
    Nope! I already have names picked out for each sex, but everyone will just have to wait until it is born to find them out!
  • Options
    We are always Team Green and we do share the two names we have picked out.  This time around we have only shared the potential boy name so far, DH doesn't want to share our girl's name because he has a feeling his mother will dislike it and wants to wait until we have decided for sure so we can say, "This is the name, live with it" basically.  My mother is the only one who knows our girl name, but I told her before I knew DH didn't want to share.
  • Options
    MrsC0409 said:
    @peepingtom who cares what they say?! It's YOUR baby! If you and your husband love it, use it! Trust me once you actually name the baby that, the comments will stop. My daughter's name is Arden. You should have heard the things my husband's family had to say. We loved it, didn't care and named her that anyway and I don't regret it at all.
    FWIW, I love the name Arden.
  • Options
    @young_love Thank you! We do too! :) It totally fits her!
  • Options
    I'm not worried about anybody stealing names but I don't care to hear anyones opinion. I will probably tell people a couple we like but we haven't really decided. I think if it's a girl we know though
                              Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicphoto r0614p_zpsojhlssmw.gif
                            Anniversary
                            Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
                           BFP#1- April 24th. M/c-April 30th. BFP#2-September 11th. EDD: May 25th. 
                                      It's a girl!!! (: Madison arrived on May 19th at 6:35 am (:
                                                               * July '15 January siggy challenge.*
  • Options
    Nopes. We have a few for each but I don't want others' opinions influencing us. If we love it, we love it. That's all that should matter. Too bad one of my friends named her dog the same as the top boy name we have :(
  • Options
    Absofuckinglutely not.  We don't tell. I probably won't even tell here because people I know irl are on TB so I don't want anyone creeping on me and finding out.
    agreed!
    The girl name we chose is a combination of mine and my husbands name.
    And the boys name we sort of made up ourselves after a famous volcano :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Yup. We've told everyone who asks. Its nbd to me, and honestly, no one can really say anything bad about them. They are both strong, classic, real, and correctly spelled names. Plus, they are all (first and middle) family names with great sentimental value.

• Options
    Nope! 

You can call me a heartless b* and I probably am, but DH and I are choosing 3 potential names and deciding on one after baby is born for the sole reason that if we miscarried or had a stillbirth, we would never be able to use that name again. That probably sounds terrible. That probably is terrible.

But that's what happened to my cousin when she miscarried after picking her favorite boy name and telling everyone.

Maybe I'll change my tune once I feel Baby kick and feel more connected to him/her. Maybe I'll feel like this little life deserves the best name I can think of...

...but for now we're waiting!

image BabyFruit Ticker

Married 10-15-2011
    BFP 10-30-2014
    Baby's due 7-08-2015

• Options
    I told my family the names we had picked out but I already don't care for them so probably going to change anyway.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We are not telling anyone, especially family. My family is very opinionated, and I just don't want to go down that path. We have our names picked out already, and I'm enjoying those being a secret for just DH and I to share.
     TTC #1 since January 2014
    BFP #1 03/16/14 EDD 11/28/14 :: MMC Monochorionic Twins 05/09/14 @ 11 weeks
    BFP #2 09/15/14 EDD 05/29/14 :: CP 09/22/14
    BFP #3 10/24/14 :: EDD 06/29/15 *Praying for my RAINBOW!!*

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm hesitant on telling on the boy's name we chose...may be because I'm not sold on it.
    The girl's name I've had picked for almost a decade... a combo of my great grandmother, and grandmother's names.
  • Options
    Only person we told was DHs grandpa, because for a girl we want to use his late wife's name, and thought it proper to ask permission when she passed. We've had the names picked out for years...not saying it won't change, but probably not! And either way, no one gets to know!

I hate all the namey things people buy babies anyhow. I don't want a name hanging all around their room in pictures, blankets, decorations, etc.
  • Options
    I will probably talk about names we are considering, but I doubt we'll settle on anything before we meet the baby.

People are definitely not afraid to give their opinions. I am still embarrassed thinking back to the time I told my cousin that one of her possible choices was a dog's name. Once the baby is born, though, most people will only criticize your name choice behind your back.
  • Options
    My DH made the mistake of telling his mom one of our potential names and now every time we see her she makes a big fuss about how she can't say the name right. FTR, it's a normal name with normal spelling but not super popular. She's the type that struggles with real words/names in general so I don't feel like hearing her complain about not being able to remember/say the name for the remainder of the pregnancy. So no. I don't think I'll be telling family. Maybe my closest friend and that's it.
  • Options
    We told the names with our first two. With our son, we wanted to claim the name since my brother and his wife were due just a few weeks before us. We didn't want them to have a boy and use the name we had been planning on. With our third, we didn't find out the sex ahead of time so we kept all our name choices a secret. We also knew that it was a more unusual name and didn't want anyone to try to talk us out of it.

I think we will probably keep the name secret again this time. I like that we can surprise the family with something since we aren't waiting to find out if it's a boy or girl.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    DH is a "Junior" and has wanted a "Third" since forever. So that's the boy name. We have a girl name picked out but haven't told anyone and won't tell unless it's a girl. We really have no big reason for doing that, it's just fun to have our own little secret.

July 2015 Siggy Challenge

Snow Fails

• Options
    ancp27ancp27 member
    edited December 2014
    We didn't tell anyone because we didn't name him until a few hours after he was born. We had a list of 5 and Callum was probably the least popular, people loved it or hated it. We ended up naming him that and it couldn't be a better name for him, it's perfect and everybody loves it now. 

Or at least if they still hate it, they aren't telling us.
    *Formerly peainthepod?* TTC since 1/1/2006. All cycles BFN! IUI's & IVF with no luck. Emergency surgery 11/07 due to hemmoraging cyst on left ovary. 3rd HSG showed complete blockage of right tube (the good side), endo/cysts/adhesion removal 11/11. New start for 2012! Surprise BFP 6/17/12, due 2/12/13. It's a boy!!! Baby Boy born on January 26, 2013. 
  • Options
    MackalackMackalack member
    edited December 2014
    I have no clue on names.  We had a boy's name with DD, but I don't like it now.  I don't know if this child will ever be named.  I'm finding Victoria hard to sibling pair with that she doesn't already have a friend with that name.  Although Mary is a possibility.

Edit to actually answer the question: If we're set on a name, we'll probably tell.  We did with DD.
    July '15 January Siggy - snow fails
    image image
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I despise unsolicited opinions! That makes me slightly hesitant to share but a few people have already asked and I've told them. My major concern is DH telling people. He tends to be more impressionable than I am and I'm super committed to our names and don't want him second guessing them.
  • Options
    We told our family the names we have pick out for the babies :) they all seem to really like them so far
  • Options
    Nope we are not. The best advice my dad ever gave me was to not tell people the name because everyone will tell you their opinion. There's enough unsolicited advice during pregnancy and parenting without adding in opinions on the name.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We will take a few names to the hospital for each and then decor after we meet LO. We did this with the others as well.

We will share our name lists with family beforehand. If there is an obvious reason to skip the name I'd like to hear it first. But also my family will give an opinion on a name whether baby has been born or not so keeping it quiet doesn't really accomplish anything.
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to finding out the sex of my baby and being able to tell people his or her name. People have been asking me "Do you know what you're having?" since I was only 9 weeks along! It's going to be a relief to finally move on to getting asked some different questions in a few months.
  • Options
    pinktorridorapinktorridora member
    edited December 2014
    My mom has known my list of baby names for years. Not sure if we will tell DHs parents bc they can't keep their mouths shut and they are pretty judgmental. We are team green so we will have a girl and boy name ready.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I did not want to tell anyone the names, but DH told his mom who then told her sister and parents. I was trying to just keep it at that, but now they are all trying to tell other people, so apparently we'll be telling. I'm not worried about anyone stealing it or changing my mind. We have had a name for girl and a name for boy picked out for a while. I just don't care to hear other people's opinions on the matter.
  • Options
    I figured we would tell, but now I'm not so sure. My family usually practices 'if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all' very well. I told my mom our boy name this morning and she flat out told me she doesn't like it and it reminds her of a chipmunk. Yeah, Theodore was the name of one of the chipmunks but it was also the name of president... So whatevs. Names may be kept on the DL this time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"