December 2014 Moms
Options

breastfeeding..low supply..advice??

My baby girl is 4 weeks old now. I am still only producing about 2-3 oz total when I pump. I am feeding her on demand and am pumping typically 2-3 times a day. I feel like she is not getting enough during feedings as usually she sits on there for about an hour or so. She drifts off, but if i completely remove her she wakes up crying and starts feeding again. At this point in her age, how much milk should i be producing? Does anyone have any tips to help raise supply? I struggled with supply with my first and I really wanted to be able to do it more so this time around. Any advice is appreciated!

Re: breastfeeding..low supply..advice??

• Options
    If you're pumping on top of nursing (rather than instead of nursing), a few ounces a few times a day is lots, IMO. When I pump after or in between nursing, I'm happy if I get 2 ounces, and I'm BFing twins, so my supply should be high. If you're pumping instead of nursing, 2-3 oz is still good.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I would contact a lactation consultant to help. They're well worth it.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Are you breast feeding & pumping or just pumping? If you are solely pumping I might recommend increasing the number of times you are pumping.

Look at the monster thread on breast feeding. Also speak with the pediatrician on how LO is doing. A lactation counselor was also very helpful for me.

Test
  • Options
    Not responding well to the pump does not mean you have low supply. Some people just don't pump much.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    LO is 17 days old and I pump about 2-4 oz per session on days I solely pump to give my sore nipples a break so if you're doing both, I'd say your supply is pretty good. But if you're concerned it's low, my LC said to take fenugreek 2 capsules twice a day with food, if I tolerated it well, increase to 3 times a day. (If you have a thyroid condition, consult your doctor first) Im doing this and also drinking Mothers Milk Organic Tea. I bought all of it at GNC and have definitely seen an increase in my supply.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"