April 2014 Moms
Options

Nicknames For Your LO?

My family is very pro-nickname, so I've grown up being called a multitude of different things. It's usually a very fluid process and often the nickname doesn't even resemble the given name. LO is Eli but his current nicknames include Biggie, Biscuit, Booger, and Leeroy. I really don't know how any of these came to be if I'm being honest.

Recently I've noticed that LO responds to his nicknames more than his actual name. As a FTM, this may be a dumb question but... Is this a problem currently? Should I cease the use of nicknames until LO responds to his given name on a more consistent basis?

Bonus points for sharing your LO's nicknames!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Oh Eli, there's a sanctity in your innocence. A certain beauty and no uncertain strength that brings me to the faith. I don't know if I am climbing to or falling in, but it comes like grace from your tiny hands when I hold you in mine." - Eli's Song

Re: Nicknames For Your LO?

• Options
    If he does recognize his name I wouldn't sweat it. Maybe try to work it into the rotation a bit more. DD1's nickname was Boo and she responds to that and her real name. For LO we always use Abby and not Abigail so I haven't really noticed how she responds to her full name. I also call her Monkey butt and Abby dabby doo
  • Options
    I call him Gremlin, but mostly on the internet.  He responds to the shortened version of his name that we use most frequently.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD responds to both, though she will look more when we use her given name, Carlene.  Maybe because we primarily  use it to get her attention, while we use her nicknames when cooing to her or talking about her.

Nicknames include Baby Girl, Little Mama, Bean and Little Green Bean.
    Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• Options
    The Puppy (to my dogs)

Mr. Fussy Britches

J (for me)

Honey Bear (everything I know ends up being called this)

Mr. Man (my husband's) 
  • Options
    smushi said:
    The Puppy (to my dogs)

Mr. Fussy Britches

J (for me)

Honey Bear (everything I know ends up being called this)

Mr. Man (my husband's) 
    This is one of the nicknames we have for DS.  
    Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• Options
    Buddy, boo boo, or the baby when talking to DH.

• Options
    Gavin knows his name but I usually call him Gabba or handsome.
  • Options

Quinn is Q Ball, Baldo, Mr. Q, Monsieur Le Quinn and Little Monster. I wouldn't worry too much about the name thing, they're just absorbing everything right now and he'll come to know his name from nicknames pretty quickly I'd imagine.

I hope so @dani+california‌! Today I alternated between calling him "Eli" and "Biggie" for a few minutes. He looked up from playing EVERY time I called him by the nickname and not once when I used his name. I'll try working it into the rotation ASAP, I guess!

"Oh Eli, there's a sanctity in your innocence. A certain beauty and no uncertain strength that brings me to the faith. I don't know if I am climbing to or falling in, but it comes like grace from your tiny hands when I hold you in mine." - Eli's Song

• Options
    Turd, most often. Otherwise Sullivan. We haven't shortened it to Sully or Van, somehow a nickname version makes me think of an older kid even though the full is such an old man name?
  • Options
    Sylvia is Sylvia Mae as much as she's just Sylvia. She also goes by Mae Mae, Sylvia Mae Wahpo, and Baba Tikki, the last two coming from 4 y/o DD1.
  • Options
    His name is Timothy but we call him baby timmy. He responds to that. We also call him Mr. Crab and Tman, which he does not respond to.

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• Options
    We call Mason buddy, Tukka, Jackie, Mr. Man, Doodles.....lol too many.
  • Options
    mamrotu73 said:

I also purposely chose a name without built-in nicknames.

That's why my mom named me Lauren. Her name is Elizabeth and she doesn't want to hear it shortened, not Liz or Beth, damnit!
  • Options
    Bluebird2318Bluebird2318 member
    edited December 2014
    The Dude, Dude, Dodo, Dodobug, Bug, Scooter, Scooter Bug, Buddy, Bud... I can't think of any more at the moment.

ETA: Dudester, and Dudester-Boobster. When he had baby acne DH called him Bumpy Gus. As far as actual shortening of his name goes, I just don't think it's a good name for that. Do, Dor, and Dori are all not so good. The most I do in that regard is call him "D." 
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We call Arya, Ari but that's because my best friends two year old calls her that. We also call her boo.
  • Options
    KyllaraeKyllarae member
    edited December 2014
    Eden knows her name and responds to Bug and Edie as well. But that's as far as our nicknames go. We're boring.

• Options
    SO and I call her Mars and Marzi.  I also call her Miss Marzipan and Mars Bars.
  • Options
    So, so many nicknames. She responds to her name, but most times it takes a few tries.

Most used ones are Alerabear, Honeybear, Babybear, Goober Butt, Crankerbutt or Crankerpants when she's whiny, Princess (yup...), A-game, Beautiful... think that's it for now, lol.

A14 Siggy Challenge (November): Favorite Fall Smell
  • Options
    LO responds to his name, but we also call him the dude, baby neh neh (because of what he "says" when he's hungry!), and the past couple of days I've been calling him Mr. Tooth because his first one popped through on Boxing Day.
  • Options
    LO responds to his nicknames and his given name. DH were just joking the other day that on LO's first day if preschool, he is going to stand up and say "hi my name is boo boo."

We call him boo boo or sugar water. Sugar water is a nickname my grandmother gave him. She says he is so busy all the time that it is like someone gave him sugar water. The nickname stuck!

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/69/1a18c2e7532600b237c0ccef11ba85.jpeg

Proud Mommy of Derek Michael

April 8, 2014 9lb 6oz 21 inches

• Options
    We call him bubba, tukka tukka ( no idea where this came from just started saying it one day) toucan, monkey and peanut
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the responses ladies! So fun to see what you call your LO and it's reassuring to know that I likely haven't permanently confused my child! :)

• Options
    Ds1 calls him Alfie-fi-fi which makes him giggle, my nieces call him baby Elfie, I just call him mammys special boy or mammys chicken nugget :smile:
  • Options
    Dd answers to her name and is almost always called Elise, but sometimes ds or I will call her goose. Ds makes up nick names for her every day, but thy are never the same.

My ds doesn't have a nick name either, I guess we're not very good at that. I grew up without one, so I probably just don't naturally think of it.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ours are Baby Girl, Munchkin, Baby Munchkin, Baby Savannah, Tootie and Tootie Pants.

She probably responds to Munchkin and Savannah the most.

Also, we picked a name that was not easily shortened as well.
  • Options
    I call him Monkey or Peanut, DH calls him Little Man. My BIL just discovered that he could call him AJ (Aiden John) but we're not going to do that unless Aiden wants to in the future. DH didn't know his real name was John until he was in the second grade (he got into a fight with his mom about it - no lie - everyone called him Billy beacuse his middle name is William and his dad is also John), so we're trying to avoid any major confusion...

• Options
    DD knows her name and looks when I call her Sophia. She doesn't really respond to her nicknames but I'll call her Soph and Kidlet (like Piglet but kid). DH calls her Sopha Bling-bling. Because he's weird, lol.
    image    image

With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere. - C.S.Lewis

• Options
    My LO nickname is LULU but we call her little penguin, little ball , polli like her dad .
  • Options
    heids4787heids4787 member
    edited December 2014

Dd answers to her name and is almost always called Elise, but sometimes ds or I will call her goose. Ds makes up nick names for her every day, but thy are never the same.

My ds doesn't have a nick name either, I guess we're not very good at that. I grew up without one, so I probably just don't naturally think of it.

@AmberLiz99‌ - Goose is so cute! DH and I named DD Elise with the intention of nick-naming her Ellie, but we've never called her that. She recognizes her name or "Miss Elise." We also commonly call her Boo, Booboo, Nugget, Kiddo, Gremlin, and Khaleesi Elise-y (we're big Game of Throne fans). :P
  • Options
    DD responds to the shortened version of her name, Eva. But her full name is Evangeline. I call her The Moo or Moomie (because she has this little stuffed cow she loves). My husband calls her " Moe". When she is being especially difficult we call her "Eva the Diva". The other night at a restaurant a gentleman asked what DD's name was and when I said Evangeline he replied, "she's going to have a hard time with that in kindergarten". Shove it, guy!!!

For some reason I nicknamed my dog ca-ca. So I call him ca-ca head or ca-ca, fa-fa....don't know where or why that came about.
  • Options

DD responds to the shortened version of her name, Eva. But her full name is Evangeline. I call her The Moo or Moomie (because she has this little stuffed cow she loves). My husband calls her " Moe". When she is being especially difficult we call her "Eva the Diva". The other night at a restaurant a gentleman asked what DD's name was and when I said Evangeline he replied, "she's going to have a hard time with that in kindergarten". Shove it, guy!!!

For some reason I nicknamed my dog ca-ca. So I call him ca-ca head or ca-ca, fa-fa....don't know where or why that came about.

@nycgirlkat‌ that guy is ridiculous and what gives him the right to say crap like that? Personally I LOVE your LO's name. It's on my (very) short list if we ever have a girl but DH has limited me to names with no more than 2 syllables :( Still trying to win that fight...

• Options
    I forgot Honeybunny and Angelface for Alera, lol.

A14 Siggy Challenge (November): Favorite Fall Smell
  • Options
    Aislyn is lovingly known as gagoo in this house (because she is always gooey) hearing my 4 yo call her this is adorable. When she gets older I'd like to maybe go with Ace but doesn't really suite a baby. She answers to both. My mom calls her bibitte (bug in french)
  • Options
    mamrotu73 said:

I did too, but somehow I've decided to call her JoyJoy.

We also call her Peanut and Turkey

DD on a recent trip to London. 3 yrs old.
    EDD 4/7/18
    MC 5/20/17 @8 wks
  • Options
    mamrotu73 said:

I did too, but somehow I've decided to call her JoyJoy.

We also call her Peanut and Turkey

DD on a recent trip to London. 3 yrs old.
    EDD 4/7/18
    MC 5/20/17 @8 wks
  • Options
    Unrelated, but my co-worker was pregnant with a girl due this month and she asked her 5 year old son what he thought they should name the baby and he said "Cupcake". Lol!
  • Options
    Brixton has a couple "Brix" "baby B" and "Brixy" his big sister came up with the last one haha!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"