October 2014 Moms
Options

I know it's way early for this

But just thinking ahead...
When do you plan to introduce solid foods? I know what the recommendations are, but just curious what others are planning on doing. Also, store bought baby food, homemade food, baby led weaning, etc? Any STMs have any DOs or DONTs from experience?

Re: I know it's way early for this

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our pedi said we will see where we are at 4 months to determine if she can try things a little early. Not sure what there is to see to let them know if it's appropriate to start early, so I will just be going with my gut once I get the okay.

We have a ninja to make our own baby food.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Hopefully 6 months, but it depends on when she is displaying the readiness signs that @Emerald27‌ gave above. We will be making our own and starting with veggies.

Married 10/06

Baby Girl "C" arrived on 10/07/14 (39 weeks, 6 days)

• Options
    I'll be going with the pediatricians recommendation based on how ready she is, and I will be making baby food.
  • Options
    We are going to do BLW when he's ready.
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Options
    I plan on starting at 6 months unless pedi says otherwise. Its been suggested that our pedi may want us to start at 4 months but I'd like to hold off. We plan to make our own food.

• Options
    ishknitsishknits member
    edited December 2014
    I think I'll be done bf when the baby gets teeth! I'd never heard of baby led weaning before.. I don't think that far ahead but I'm gonna look into it now. Good advice @Emerald27‌

Eta: just looked it up... Then what do I do with my baby bullet!? Haha
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:

We will do baby led weaning, and we start solids based on baby's physical readiness, not on an arbitrary calendar date.

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:
    1. Baby can sit up well unassisted
    2. Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    3. Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    4. Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger.
    5. Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.

We'll give LO whatever veggies and meat we are having with dinner, and he can play or eat as much as he likes.

Here's some more info for anyone interested:

https://kellymom.com/category/nutrition/starting-solids/

ETA: With DS1, we started with avocado, sweet potato, banana, and pears between 7 and 8 months.

I screenshot this for reference, thank you!

• Options
    We started DS when he was 7 months. Plan to start around the same time if she's ready.

• Options
    I'm planning on introducing oatmeal shortly after 4m (as long as pedi doesn't object), then I will make his fruit and veggie purees. Same as I did with DD and I enjoyed making the food so much.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In all seriousness, I once heard start with veggies as once baby has the sweet fruit they won't want veggies. Any one heard of this theory?
  • Options

FFMC

I have no idea how BLW is done. I've never read up on it, or seen it mentioned other than on TB.

It's a solids feeding method that is highly supportive of breastfeeding, so you'll likely hear about it if you attend a LLL meeting or ask your IBCLC for recs regarding starting solids.

But so many parents start their kids on rice cereal and purees. You're less likely to hear about BLW at the park or play group, unless you live in a pretty crunchy area. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited December 2014
  • Options
    I don't remember when exactly I started dd on solids. I think around 6 months.

Ds1 started cereal by the time he was 3 months and veggies at 4 months. He ate a lot and was developmentally ready early so our pediatrician was ok with solids earlier.

This lo seems a bit more "normal" as far as his eating so I'm thinking around 6 months. I made ds1 baby food and I loved it. I will be doing it again.
  • Options
    lrobi13 said:

In all seriousness, I once heard start with veggies as once baby has the sweet fruit they won't want veggies. Any one heard of this theory?

Meh. I think we did bananas first and my kid still ate the veggies too. Her favorite was squash for the longest time.

Now as a toddler, she's a bit more picky with them though.

image         image

• Options

We are going to do BLW when he's ready.

Same.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    lrobi13 said:

I've heard this and started my first two on veggies first. Some veggies can be a little bitter. Ds1 started with spinach first and loved it!
  • Options
    lrobi13 said:

It depends on the kid IME. We didn't worry too much and just made an effort to offer a variety of healthy foods.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I'm thinking I will skip cereal and go to veggies etc when she's ready. I got me a BA kitchen aid food processor that I'll make a bunch of baby food in and freeze it.
  • Options

I'm thinking I will skip cereal and go to veggies etc when she's ready. I got me a BA kitchen aid food processor that I'll make a bunch of baby food in and freeze it.

I'm curious. Why are you going to skip cereal?
  • Options
    edited December 2014

The grains are empty nutrition. As far as ive read they have nothing to really offer my baby in benefits that she wont get from BM (I say BM because that's what I'm doing but formula fed babies can be the same). I have no problem strictly breastfeeding to 6 months to when she's closer to fruit or oatmeal. I'd rather go straight to things with some substance. So if my doctor doesn't think it's a must do thing, shes on track and I can't offer something else I'll pass. Unless someone else has other information on the subject?
  • Options
    We are going to do BLW as well. I'm so glad there will be a support group on the board for it :)
  • Options

The grains are empty nutrition. As far as ive read they have nothing to really offer my baby in benefits that she wont get from BM (I say BM because that's what I'm doing but formula fed babies can be the same). I have no problem strictly breastfeeding to 6 months to when she's closer to fruit or oatmeal. I'd rather go straight to things with some substance. So if my doctor doesn't think it's a must do thing, shes on track and I can't offer something else I'll pass. Unless someone else has other information on the subject?
    Gotcha. You can also make your own cereal from different grains and some have great nutritional value. I forget the name of the one in my baby food recipe book that is highly recommended. You can even mix it with different fruits and veggies to get extra nutrients in each bite. :)
  • Options
    ishknits said:

I think I'll be done bf when the baby gets teeth! I'd never heard of baby led weaning before.. I don't think that far ahead but I'm gonna look into it now. Good advice @Emerald27‌

Eta: just looked it up... Then what do I do with my baby bullet!? Haha

I hadn't heard of BLW until recently either...I need to do a lot more reading up on it before I decide what we're going to do. Thanks for the helpful info and link (as always) @Emerald27‌.

@ishknits‌ - I thought the same about my baby bullet when I read about BLW too!
    :))
  • Options

We skipped cereal too. I think some people use it as a starting point of textures for baby, like a practice food.

image         image

• Options
    Our pedi had us start rice cereal at 3 months with DS1. I wish we had waited. He was in the 10th percentile and we started swapping out BF sessions with cereal. I had no clue what I was doing with my kid, but I never thought to ask. This time breast milk will be my baby's main source of nutrition and food/purees will just be fun/exposure to different tastes for the first year.

I will likely make the occasional purée, do jarred food for the nanny, and offer whatever we're eating at dinner.
  • Options
    Thanks @Emerald27‌ for blw advice! I researched it tonight and think we will try it when the time comes...I hope there will be a blw check in!
  • Options

Our pedi had us start rice cereal at 3 months with DS1. I wish we had waited. He was in the 10th percentile and we started swapping out BF sessions with cereal. I had no clue what I was doing with my kid, but I never thought to ask. This time breast milk will be my baby's main source of nutrition and food/purees will just be fun/exposure to different tastes for the first year.

I will likely make the occasional purée, do jarred food for the nanny, and offer whatever we're eating at dinner.

Why do you wish you waited? Did DS1 stop gaining?
  • Options
    I'm wondering what would be the risk if any for only BF'ing for the first year. B12 deficiency? Risk for not developing oro motor skills? I haven't researched or looked up or asked pedi yet but will plan to. Not that we plan on doing that, but i would be curious how long it's feasible to EBF before absolutely needing solids. In regard to the 6 mo recommendation from American Academy of pediatrics I thought it was to wait at least til 6 mo but that they didn't say how long would be safe to only BF.
    photo 98826c1d-49e9-4f18-a2a8-311206877833_zps1c1ec21a.jpg
  • Options
    MewwwwwsMewwwwws member
    edited December 2014

Mewwwwws said:

I'm wondering what would be the risk if any for only BF'ing for the first year. B12 deficiency? Risk for not developing oro motor skills? I haven't researched or looked up or asked pedi yet but will plan to. Not that we plan on doing that, but i would be curious how long it's feasible to EBF before absolutely needing solids. In regard to the 6 mo recommendation from American Academy of pediatrics I thought it was to wait at least til 6 mo but that they didn't say how long would be safe to only BF.

I have no research or anything to back this up, but IMO I think baby needs to start eating foods before they are a year old. It's not just about the nutrition, learning to eat also helps develop motor skills and social skills.
    Yes , helping with Developing motor and social skills makes sense. Wondering more out of curiosity about nutrition wise if EBF alone suffices. I found one research article from Netherlands talking about B12 deficiency in babies who were introduced solids at a later age but it was just one study and I think it could have have some methodological flaws. I'd love to see other studies pointing out risks of waiting to introduce solids too late (past six months) if anyone has knowledge of them.
    photo 98826c1d-49e9-4f18-a2a8-311206877833_zps1c1ec21a.jpg
  • Options

Gotcha. You can also make your own cereal from different grains and some have great nutritional value. I forget the name of the one in my baby food recipe book that is highly recommended. You can even mix it with different fruits and veggies to get extra nutrients in each bite. :)
    Really? What book do you have?
  • Options
    We will wait until six months. We will probably do a mixture of BLW and purees. She will need purees at daycare. We will skip rice cereal and I will make all of her purees.

I read up on BLW, even bought a book, and was all excited to try and it was just not for DD1. She was very sensitive to textures and anything much more than a liquid and she would cough and throw up. We had to work our way up to thinker substances very slowly.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"