February 2015 Moms

Birth Control Post Partum

Hi all! I just wanted to see what other mamas are considering for birth control after this baby. This will be my second child and that's all I ever really wanted. I'm wondering if I should get a tubal litigation, IUD, or other methods. I've never been a fan of the pill since I just feel different/weird on it. What are your thoughts?

Re: Birth Control Post Partum

• Loading the player...
  • We plan on this being our only one but that said who knows if we will change our mind. So I'm going to get an iud and when we decide that we don't want anymore DH will get the snip.
  • Dh is getting snipped but I will also be getting an iud just to avoid getting a period
  • It took so much for us to get pregnant with this one. So, we're not doing anything. The likelihood I would end up pregnant again is low to nonexisistant. If it happens we're prepared for that, too.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We're going to use condoms. It took almost 2 years and fertility drugs to get pregnant this time plus we're probably going to start trying again in 2016.
  • I'll probably go back on the pill. Lo loestrin worked wonders for me and not getting my period and all the pms that went with it was nice. If we don't do that we'll go back to pull out/condoms it works well for us. We are debating trying again in about a year give or take anyways.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • This is our second and we will have 2 under 2. I'm pretty sure we are done after this. We are going to really discuss it with my OB after the baby is born to see what some options are because I don't want to go back on the pill. I'm thinking DH will probably get snipped.
  • This is my third baby and I know I am done. It's a scheduled c section so tubal ligation for me!
  • kkleigh10 said:

No birth control here. I know plans may (will?) change once the reality of having a newborn hits, but we're planning to start trying for #2 as soon as I'm up for it. Hubs is 13 years older than me and we ain't getting any younger ;)

Almost exactly this for me. DH is 11 years my senior, and it took us nearly two years to conceive this LO. I know it may not take that long next time, but I love the idea of having my children close together.
    BabyFetus TickerBabyFruit Ticker
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I will go on the mini-pill for a while just to be completely sure that we are done, then DH is getting snipped.

I'll also throw in my negative depo experience.  I was on it before we TTC DS because combo pills are horrible for me, so it seemed like a great idea.  I gained 10 lbs almost immediately and couldn't lose it no matter what I did and had tons of bleeding on it.  It was definitely more trouble than it was worth for me, taking a daily pill was much easier.
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
    We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    52 books in 2015?           
    image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic   
  • I'll probably go on the mini-pill because I did fairly well on the regular pill for ten years. I thought about going with an IUD to try and avoid hormonal BC, but a friend of mine that's in med school shared with me her concerns about some of the worst side effects. DH and I are leaning towards being one and done, but I'm not ready to commit to a permanent BC method until we wait a few years first, just in case. 
    Roslin Liora -- Due 2/8/15
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Anniversary
    image     image     image
  • This is a big issue for me because BC makes me sick, my body rejected the last IUD, nuva ring gave me wicked bladder infections and I am allergic to latex. yay me. Hubs and I decided we will use non latex condoms for a few years after and if we don't want any more kids he will get snipped. Not really happy about the condoms, and tbh I get preg easy and I am terrified of an oops but no idea what else to do.

On my birth plan it asks me what questions I will have after baby and my husband wrote--what are the bc options..sooo..pretty sure he doesn't want another one right away lol.

• Pulling out then maybe an IUD. Depends on if we decide on "one and done" or not but eventually snip snip for DH.
    Me: 34 DH: 34
    Married 3/22/14
    Baby #1 GIRL EDD 2/4/2015
    FVL/History of PE/Gallbladder removal 8/7/14 @ 14w1d
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Having 3 kids will be our birth control. If we ever have time for sex, we will use condoms. I won't do BCPs again probably ever and definitely not soon because I'll be exclusively and extended BFing. As far as permanent BC, we're not ready for that. I was "sure" I was done with 2 after the twins were born and about a year later, I realized I wanted a third eventually. Now, I'm not even committed to being done at 3 so we'll take several years before we explore permanent options. 
    m/c 7/17/10
    Dx: MFI- 3% morph
    IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
    IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
    3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
    Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
    Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
    BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
    6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • I need to talk to my Dr about this. I had the copper iud for 4 years or so and got pregnant easily once it was out so I need something. I hate hormonal bc though and condoms are annoying. I'm not sure if I should get an iud if we are going to try for number 2 in the near ish future...i like the idea of kids about 2 years apart so that would be under 2 years that we start trying. Not sure if iud is worth it for that amount of time or if we can rely of exhaustion and infant bc :)
  • 97% sure this is our final child, so we're pretty sure DH will be getting snipped.

Our insurance deductible will be covered with L&D, so everything after that will be covered 100% - meaning we have until fall to make a decision at least.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Charlie - 12/11/2011 * Surprise! #2 - EDD 2/17/2015

BabyFruit Ticker
  • This is our second and last. We're old!! DH will get snipped unless for some reason I end up having a C-section than we will take care of it right than.

photo a1c2c501-51d6-4155-bc5d-e15072d2426d_zps1135e754.jpg 

**Siggy Challenge What You're Looking Forward to Most after Baby Arrives**

• @thedish0207‌ yeah deposit makes you gain weight. Took me forever to get it off and I'm not OCD about cleaning but I was hormonal on it and would go BSC if the dishes weren't perfectly aligned in the cabinets.

As for us DH and I haven't decided yet on what we will do. It's something we will discuss tonight.
  • For all of you who have hubby's that are getting snipped was it their idea or did you influence it? I want my hubby to get it done but he's very against it!
  • I'm with crazycornball. I will never use hormonal bc again. DH and I did the pull out method for like 2 and 1/2 yrs. He was pretty perfect at it and we didn't get pregnant until we tried to get pregnant. SO that will be the method I'm going back to.
    Pregnancy #1 DD 08.30.2007
    Pregnancy #2 Natural Miscarriage at 6 weeks 03/2014 Due date 11/9/2014
    Pregnancy #3 DS 02.23.2015
    Pregnancy #4 Missed Miscarriage at 11 weeks 11/2018 Due date 5/22/2019
    Pregnancy #5 Positive test 12/11/2019 Due Date 8/17/2020

• I had an IUD (mirena- hormonal) for 5 years before conceiving this baby and I hated it, but it was convenient. My body does not do well on any form of hormonal BC. We are hoping for another baby soon, so we will not really be using anything. We'll use the pull out method combined with breast feeding until we feel ready to actively try again, and if that "fails" us, no big deal.
  • Haven't fully decided yet.  My periods are non-existent and it took us 15 months and one crazy/insane diet in order to get pregnant.

However, I'm really not sure on getting pregnant again right away because I have a history of losses and know we would likely need help again in order to stay pregnant.  

More than likely I will go on the mini-pill until I'm done breastfeeding, then we may begin TTC#2 but not aggressively.  
    TTC 1.0
    17 months TTC and 1miscarriage, 1 chemical pregnancy, rainbow baby born 2/16/15
    TTC 2.0
    16 months TTC, 2 chemical pregnancies, EDD 6/3/17
  • For all of you who have hubby's that are getting snipped was it their idea or did you influence it? I want my hubby to get it done but he's very against it!
    It was a joint decision. I initially brought it up as "food for thought" and let him make the final decision. If he ends up being against it, I will look into other options.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Charlie - 12/11/2011 * Surprise! #2 - EDD 2/17/2015

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not sure. We plan to start trying for our second (and last) when this one is a year old, maybe a little sooner. I would rather not go back on the pill but an IUD doesn't seem worth it for only a year or less. Another thing to talk to my OB about at next appt.
  • I had an IUD prior to conceiving this little munchkin and loved it up until I had it removed. It was a bitch to get removed, but apparently that is not the norm for most people. I will get an IUD again because I do not want to get pregnant again unless we decide to go down that road in 2-3 years. It will all depend on finances since I have a son starting high school in the fall, so we have to start thinking about college and such for him. 

I don't know if Mirena is okay while BFing, so I am going to talk to my doctor about the copper one as well. I just know I liked not having to worry about it. I'm not the best at remembering to take BCPs and pull out makes me nervous. 
  • MapleMommaMapleMomma member
    edited December 2014
    My husband is older and we want at least 3 more kids, so I don't think we will use any aside from breastfeeding/calendar method. I am totally ok with being pg again by next thanksgiving
    image         image
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Copper IUD if DH won't get snipped.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • We don't know our plans after baby so probably mini-pill until we decide. But I also got pregnant on the mini pill this time, so who knows.

I was wondering this too! Even if I wasn't already having a c section, I would have to be the one getting tubal ligation. My DH is very against getting snipped as well.
    I was wondering this too! Even if I wasn't already having a c section, I would have to be the one getting tubal ligation. My DH is very against getting snipped as well.

Once we're completely done, ours will be dependent upon what insurance may cover. We're exciting like that.
    My husband and I discussed this prior to getting married. Honestly, it would be a deal breaker for me if he told me before we got married if he told me there is no way he would do it and I made it clear to him that when we were done having kids bc would be his responsibility or there would be no sex. Mainly because I have taken care of the birth control until now, carried his child, given birth ect. And I feel that its his "turn" he hates the idea but understands that the surgery is way less invasive and after my body rejected my iud and me puking everyday this pregnancy he is totally all for it. If I have a C-section I would get the tubal done at the same time, but otherwise, its his turn!
  • DH is having his vasectomy before this one is born, scheduled for Jan 16th. At 36 yrs old the side effects of hormonal bc just aren't worth it for me and we know we are finished.
  • I did the mini pill while I was nursing Amanda. Then a rather ineffective pull out and pray method after I weaned (hence why Amanda was less than a year old when I got pregnant again).

DH has his snip-snip consultation next week, so hopefully we will be at zero sperm count by the time I'm in any kind of mood to be romantic. ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Copper iud. Avoiding hormones like the plague. We have pretty much decided two is enough, And by the time it has to be taken out I'm sure I'll be having hot flushes!
  • What do you all who have experience with the copper iud think about it? I had mirena before I got pregnant and I hated it. Nervous to get another iud but I've never found a pill that was great (I don't think I do well with hormonal bc).
  • I hate hormone birth control-- I become a psychotic zitty maniac! It's ugly. The pull and pray method has worked for us this far, so will go back to that until we are done having kids and then it will be snip snip for the hubs!

Married 12.14.12 TTC 01.01.14 BFP 02.26.14 MC 03.07.14 TTC again 05.01.14               
    BFP 05.27.14  Beyond excited and giddy with anticipation! EDD 2.2.15

Pregnancy Ticker

• emilyz320 said:
    What do you all who have experience with the copper iud think about it? I had mirena before I got pregnant and I hated it. Nervous to get another iud but I've never found a pill that was great (I don't think I do well with hormonal bc).
    Mine was great, very few issues. I did have heavier bleeding and more cramps on it then before, but my periods had always been extremely light, so it didn't bother me much.   Why did you hate your mirena?
  • I don't plan on using any kind of BC. I have PCOS and it was impossible for me to get pregnant on my own. We don't plan on having any more babies right away but of a miracle happens we are ready for that too.
  • @flyster‌ I just had a bad experience. I had terrible cramping for months that would have me doubled over in tears. I stuck it out for a year and a half, and the cramping did get better, but I never liked the way it made me feel. I have friends who have it and love it. Bummed it didn't work for me!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"