Natural Birth
Options

Change of Plans

I have been hoping to have a natural birth in a hospital but labor at home preferably as long as possible.  I did not want constant monitoring, epis, c sections, etc.  Well at 37 weeks they just diagnosed me with gestational diabetes and said the baby is measuring particularly large especially in the torso area due to the insulin fluctuations.  My midwife just called me this passed Friday with the results and said she was trying to get a referral pushed through for a dietitian at the perinatologists office.  They will be giving me a glucometer and putting me on a diet but they are also talking about a likely induction and possibly a c-section.  They do not want me to labor at home if I go into labor on my own and they intend to do continual fetal monitoring when I get to the hospital.  This is turning into the exact opposite of everything.  I am willing to do all this for the health of my baby but I was wondering if anyone has been down this road before and if so, how did you manage it?  Was there anything you were able to do to make the experience more manageable?  Some of you may recall I posted on this board a while back about having severe hospital anxiety so this level of intervention isn't an inconvenience, it's terrifying.  To top is off my midwife's office is closed until next week so I won't be getting in to see her until the 5th.  She has my DD listed as the 12th so if they might induce early (based on what the perinatologist says) that could be it.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Change of Plans

• Options
    Thanks for some good ideas.  I am really trying to take this in stride.  Even though I am not officially a mom yet I already know that my baby has to be my first priority, regardless of how I feel.  I'm just trying to find ways to make it feel a little less scary because I know going in to it all wound up isn't going to help labor either.  Gotta be honest, I really wish I could have a good stiff drink right about now (I won't) :) !
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    SSCmomma said:
    Thanks for some good ideas.  I am really trying to take this in stride.  Even though I am not officially a mom yet I already know that my baby has to be my first priority, regardless of how I feel.  I'm just trying to find ways to make it feel a little less scary because I know going in to it all wound up isn't going to help labor either.  Gotta be honest, I really wish I could have a good stiff drink right about now (I won't) :) !
    You're doing great mama! 

I had half a glass of wine in the third tri when we were on our babymoon and my SIL who is a pedi had a glass of wine right before she had her son.  I doubt baby would mind a nice glass of wine :) 
  • Options
    I was told that my first daughter was measuring around 10 lbs. My doctor was freaking me out and telling me that I should induce and going on and on about all of the complications I could have if I didn't. It scared me to death. I just wanted everything to be perfect with her birth. I ended up scheduling an induction, but luckily I went into labor naturally two days before I went in. I guess all my little one needed was an eviction notice. :P

When she came out they were completely wrong about her size. She was only 8lbs! Their methods of sizing can be really inaccurate. Just a heads up. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had a high blood pressure spike with both my kiddos. The first time, it meant I was induced with pitocin and required constant monitoring. I also needed to labor on my left side. Turns out, laboring on my left side was by far the best position for me. I tried a few other positions, and that one just rocked. Also with pit, as a FTM, I delivered in under 4 hours, and pushed for under 15 minutes. Both times, the nurse almost had to catch the baby because transition was so fast. So this really REALLY isn't the end of your natural birth dreams, even if pit induction is necessary. Keep the faith!
  • Options
    Thanks.  Right now I'm trying to focus on getting my sugar under control.  I spoke to the midwife and she tried to get me an appointment with the dietitian at the Perinatologists office but they are unavailable until next week.  I did manage to get a suggested diet plan for GD and a glucose monitor at Walmart, which I just started using last night.  The MW is hoping that if we can get the baby's growth rate and my sugar under control in the next week then they can avoid/delay inducing or a c-section.  It is soooo frustrating having all this happening during the holidays because the MW office is closed and the dr.'s office is limited hours and has no appointments available.  The MW wants me to get in for an U/S at the dr.'s office prior to my visit prior to my visit with her on Monday put there aren't any appointments available.  She wants to base her decision to induce on an U/S that I can't get an appointment for!  All this limbo with the dr and MW are making me REALLY wish I could have just had a home birth circa 1865.  Glad I decided to have a doula because at least she is available to help me navigate all this.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had gestational diabetes and was really disappointed that they would push me for an induction. Luckily I was able to keep my numbers in check long enough to push it off, went into labor at 40+2. Google some diets online too, it helped seeing what others were doing. Starting the monitoring and diet now is key, and read all those labels! Anything saucy, Ketchup, BBQ, etc is usually bad news because of the sugar content. Good luck to you! Glad you have a doula, hopefully she can make it a wonderful calming environment for you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"