September 2015 Moms

Epidural option

I've always said that I wanted to have an all natural birth. I'm a FTM and I was wondering how STM+ felt about having or not having an epidural. Pros and cons. Anyone else thought about not getting one?

Re: Epidural option

• With my first baby, I had a wait and see approach. I ended up asking for an epidural after about 22 hours of
    labor. Unfortunately for me, there was significant difficulty with placing my epi and I ended up being "wet-tapped" after about 7 needle sticks. Apparently this is quite rare, but since it happened to me before I am hell-bent on avoiding the epi this time. Though, I would consider other pain relief options.
  • I loved my epidural with my first two births. I fully plan on getting one again. They are the best thing ever!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had an epidural, and I loved it.

imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Epidural fan here. I was nervous with the needle until the time came and they couldn't get it in fast enough.
    DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
  • I ended up being induced with DD and the contractions came fast and furious.  I got the epi, and it helped control pain, only set back was every time I pushed I  pulled back on my  leg and without knowing it I pulled a muscle.  I had trouble standing on that leg afterwards.  However in the same circumstance I would do it again. May try for natural this round if I go into a natural labor.   
  • I loved my epidural. I will get another one.
  • I like to be in control of my body though. I realize it'll hurt an I probably will end up asking for one as well if I'm in labor 20 hours lol. Does the effects last long after delivery?
  • @sthu227‌ you'll have to check with your hospital, but I wasn't allowed out of bed for three hours after delivery. You can also have side effects from getting one, so just be aware and read up ;)

I tried for a natural birth but my babe presented weird and didn't get straightened out until minutes from being born. I'm going to try for a natural birth again this time
  • Lol I realize they are natural. But I typed the forum at 4 am. My mind may have not been all there and I could have worded it different. I'm just glad that everyone knows what I'm talking about.
  • I fully intended to have a medfree birth with DD.  I had a doula, HypnoBirthing, & positive reinforcement.  Then my water broke with no contractions & after 13 hours of trying to start labor, I had pitocin.  After 8 hours of pitocin, I asked for the epi & it was the best decision of my life.  My body relaxed & I was able to vaginally give birth to my sunny side up baby girl.

I hope to go medfree with this baby, but I'll take it as it comes.  I totally agree with @CFearsy, it's great to have a plan but be ready to make changes as needed.

Side note: All births are natural, some are just also medfree.
    What about a c-section? Just curious what this definition means. And was mine, like, a natural all-the-wrong-meds-present?
    I think classifying any type of birth as "natural" thereby makes other births "unnatural," which is unhelpful.  I consider my birth "natural" even though I had a lot of interventions.

Some people consider natural to be vaginal, others say natural is medfree, but some say even a c-section is natural - however the baby entered the world is natural to me.  Medfree is just a clearer term, if that's what OP meant, when discussing birth plans as terms like "natural" can mean different things to different people. 
    September '15 Siggy Challenge: Happy Dance!   

BFP 11/18/14 ~ EDD 7/26/15 ~ MC 11/27/14

image            image

• I fully intended to have a medfree birth with DD.  I had a doula, HypnoBirthing, & positive reinforcement.  Then my water broke with no contractions & after 13 hours of trying to start labor, I had pitocin.  After 8 hours of pitocin, I asked for the epi & it was the best decision of my life.  My body relaxed & I was able to vaginally give birth to my sunny side up baby girl.

I hope to go medfree with this baby, but I'll take it as it comes.  I totally agree with @CFearsy, it's great to have a plan but be ready to make changes as needed.

Side note: All births are natural, some are just also medfree.

What about a c-section? Just curious what this definition means. And was mine, like, a natural all-the-wrong-meds-present?

I think classifying any type of birth as "natural" thereby makes other births "unnatural," which is unhelpful.  I consider my birth "natural" even though I had a lot of interventions.

Some people consider natural to be vaginal, others say natural is medfree, but some say even a c-section is natural - however the baby entered the world is natural to me.  Medfree is just a clearer term, if that's what OP meant, when discussing birth plans as terms like "natural" can mean different things to different people. 

I did mean medfree. I'm sorry for the confusion lol
  • I had planned to have a medicated free birth with LO 1 but ended up getting an epidural. If I hadn't I would have definitely ended up an emergency csection. I had no doubt in my mind that I was getting an epidural with LO 2 and will get one this time around too.

I think you need to have an open mind, because things don't always go the way you plan or envision. You don't want to be upset or disappointed with yourself just because you got an epidural.
  • osuwku said:

I had planned to have a medicated free birth with LO 1 but ended up getting an epidural. If I hadn't I would have definitely ended up an emergency csection. I had no doubt in my mind that I was getting an epidural with LO 2 and will get one this time around too.

I think you need to have an open mind, because things don't always go the way you plan or envision. You don't want to be upset or disappointed with yourself just because you got an epidural.

I realize my plan can be let down. It seems everyone's first delivery always last around 20+ hours I'm sure I will break down and get one just wondering how everyone felt about it.
  • sthu227 said:
    I had planned to have a medicated free birth with LO 1 but ended up getting an epidural. If I hadn't I would have definitely ended up an emergency csection. I had no doubt in my mind that I was getting an epidural with LO 2 and will get one this time around too. I think you need to have an open mind, because things don't always go the way you plan or envision. You don't want to be upset or disappointed with yourself just because you got an epidural.
    I realize my plan can be let down. It seems everyone's first delivery always last around 20+ hours I'm sure I will break down and get one just wondering how everyone felt about it.
    Don't feel that way!  Tons of people are able to go medfree their first birth.  Nothing wrong with an epi, but if you want to do it medfree, you can!  Don't be discouraged from now, you've got a lot of time to prep. :)
    September '15 Siggy Challenge: Happy Dance!   

BFP 11/18/14 ~ EDD 7/26/15 ~ MC 11/27/14

image            image

• sthu227 said:

osuwku said:

I had planned to have a medicated free birth with LO 1 but ended up getting an epidural. If I hadn't I would have definitely ended up an emergency csection. I had no doubt in my mind that I was getting an epidural with LO 2 and will get one this time around too.

Don't feel that way!  Tons of people are able to go medfree their first birth.  Nothing wrong with an epi, but if you want to do it medfree, you can!  Don't be discouraged from now, you've got a lot of time to prep. :)

Thank you for the support. Just seems not many people are able to do it. I guess in about 8 months we will revisit this topic lol
  • I am not offended by calling no meds "natural".
    DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
  • My water broke and contractions didn't start on their own so after almost 24 hours I received pitocin.  The contractions with pitocin were awful but I was determined not to get an epidural.  I plan on not getting an epidural with this one as well. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• With my first I took the wait and see approach. I wanted to stay med free if possible, but I was ok to have an Epi also. I had a very quick labor. It was a total of 4 1/2 hrs from the time my water broke until my DS was born. I asked for an epi, but I was told I had to wait until I finished a bag of IV fluid. By the time my fluid was in I was ready to push. Looking back I think my midwife knew I was going quickly and I could make it without one. I did get one dose of IV pain Meds before pushing. I hated how they made me feel. I plan to try and go completely med free this time. If my second labor is like my first then there probably won't be time anyway!
  • MufflerloveMufflerlove member
    edited December 2014
    I had a med free birth with my first and I would do it again. Not gonna lie in the heat of the moment I asked for an epi but the nurse suggested I get in the shower instead and then I forgot lol.
  • I want the juice... I'm a FTM watched my mom give birth to both my you her brothers (there's a 10 & 12 year gap between my brothers and I) first one no epi second one epi.. Seeing the difference I'm PRO juice LOL I still have nightmares thinking of my mom giving birth to my brother billy who I'm 10 years older then. Seemed horrible. Giving birth to my other brother Tanner she was like push? OK.. Wait I'm not pushing??? OK. LOL I totally want that labor.
  • I had an epidural, and I loved it. Never intended to go med-free, personally, so the whole thing went about as planned (except for the 11-days-past-due bit). My thinking was that 1. I don't particularly like pain and 2. I would waste $$ and time on classes/books/etc. for a med-free birth (I'm an over-preparer) and then cave anyway.

With the epi, I could feel when to push, but it didn't hurt, so it was actually a very peaceful experience. I would definitely do it again, but it's not for everyone.

September '15 siggy challenge: Happy Dance
    dancing,ron swanson,gifs,drunk,funny
  • aditigirl said:

Well I have no option, I have steel rods in my back holding my spine together, no epi or spinal for me, so my 1st delivery was med free, not by choice.

Having done it once, I'd do it again. But maybe I say that because I literally have no option!

Not that it's really any of my business but, does having back problems like that not make it hard to carry and birth a child?
  • I got the epi with DD, but it's not what I wanted. The reason I got it was 1 I was being induced, 2 I had to have an amino infusion during the entire process due to dangerously low fluid levels 3 I also had to have the enteral monitors. It was a freak show between my legs and I wasn't able to get out of the bed with all that. So I got the epi so I could just relax. I have degenerative disc disease and can't sit for long periods of time and knew I would be miserable not getting up. It took my right leg forever to function after due to nerve issues and I hated it. I plan on trying again for med free this time assuming I don't have fluid issues again.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers image image
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • FTM here, we are hoping for a med free birth at home, but ultimately we just want a healthy baby and a safe delivery. We will probably write up a birth plan after we get a midwife (fingers crossed, I am ALREADY ON THE WAITLIST) so if I don't get a midwife, the whole plan will take a fast shift. Kinda stressed about it honestly, midwives are hard to get out here, and harder if your a FTM. :(

Anyone else getting a midwife?
    TTC: Dec. 2014    -     BFP: Jan. 3rd, 2015    -     EDD: Sept. 15th, 2015   
  • I had an epidural after my water was broken and i started havind dry contractions. It was scary as hell, buttttt, i plan on getting another.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I went in with no birth plan for my son but I didn't want an epi. I was induced at 39 weeks for high blood pressure and ended up being in labor for over 36 hours. My sons heart rate dropped so I was told I couldn't get out of bed so they could monitor him better and decided on getting an epi since I had no other pain relief options. My first one failed and when they redid it, it only worked on half my body and I accidentally pulled it out prior to pushing. But I was super glad I got one because it did provide me with enough relief for a few hours to rest.
  • Juicy71Juicy71 member
    edited January 2015
    I wanted to play it by ear for my first but as soon as I got to the hospital I begged for the epidural :)  It took them forever to give it to me but it was such a relief when I got it as I could finally get some rest while waiting for little girl to come.  I was lucky and still had pretty good control of my legs (although you're not allowed to get up), and I was able to tell when I needed to push (I heard sometimes with an epi they have to tell you when to push), so it was all positive to me.  My only issue is that I ended up having an emergency c-section and I was just so drugged up by the time everything was said and done that I don't remember much.  This baby will be a planned c-section but if I were going to try to go vaginal, I would definitely get the epi again!
    Me: 43 DH: 39 - AMA, DOR
    Mommy to Sami (IVF), Born 8.30.13
    Surprise non-assisted BFP - 12.29.2014, Beta 1 = 322, Beta 2 = 760
    EDD 9.7.2015

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Lee81Lee81 member
    edited January 2015
    I had an epi with dd and I will likely do it again. My "birth plan" was to wait until the idea of a large needle in my spine was more appealing than the idea of any more contractions. I was not particularly interested in any other forms of pain control. From what they told us at the birthing class the epidural is the most invasive option for the mother, but it does not affect the baby. Other options would have been less invasive for me but would have gotten into DD's bloodstream

I loved the epi. I asked the anesthesiologist if he would come home with me and give me one every night :smiley: I was so warm and numb that I took the best nap ever and they woke me a few hours later and told me to start pushing. I did end up being too numb to walk for several hours after the epi was removed, but really where the hell was I going to go anyway?

TL;DR: A++. Would epi again.
  • I had an awful experience with a pushy doctor and disrespectful nurse during my first birth, which ended with an epidural that I hated. I had a home birth the second time and greatly preferred not have an epi.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm undecided.  My first, I was admitted at 7cm, and didn't get the epi until about 7.5-8 cm.  I had weird contractions, they were all in my hips, and literally felt like someone was trying to rip my hips apart.  As soon as the epi was offered, I took it.  It worked way too well, though, and I didn't like that I couldn't tell when to push.  I did like the small amount of time I had to relax, however.

I'd like to try med free this time, but only if I can take some classes and spend a good amount of time mentally preparing.  I have a friend who can help me out on that front, so we shall see.  
  • I had an epidural with DD1 and wasn't a huge fan. I was happy I had it because I got to sleep during my long induced labor, but I hated not being able to even wriggle my toes. Just to shift my body weight from one side to the other, I needed help. When it came time to push, I had a hard time pushing with the right muscles because I literally couldn't feel a thing. 

With DD2, I asked for a light epidural. It was perfect and I will always get a light one if I have the option. I was still in some pain, but it took the edge off. I could move my legs as much as I wanted and change positions. I talked to the anesthegioligist (it was the same one with both babies) after I had the light epidural, he mentioned that he preferred not doing regular epidurals because of the increased risk for c-section. I haven't researched that claim at all, but given the difficult time I had pushing DD1 out and knowing I was at risk for a c-section if I wasn't able to push well enough, I tend to believe there is an increased risk. 

I love having some pain management because I feel like I get to enjoy the whole experience more, but everyone is different so I would never say the same route is right for everyone. 
  • I loved my epi. It was like night and day once I got it. I felt so relaxed and felt no pain. Amazing! It didn't do any of the things I worried about either like delay birth (took me 45 mins to push DS out) and he nursed right away. Without a doubt, I will get one again. I'm not big on pain.

All births are natural. If you disagree, consider this...If you are taking vitamins, getting ultrasounds, plan to get stitches if you tear, use fetal monitors, plan to give birth in a sterile hospital, your birth is not "natural" following the same logic.   

imageimage

• Lee81 said:
    My "birth plan" was to wait until the idea of a large needle in my spine was more appealing than the idea of any more contractions. I was not particularly interested in any other forms of pain control.

This made me LOL :)
    imageimage

• All births are natural. If you disagree, consider this...If you are taking vitamins, getting ultrasounds, plan to get stitches if you tear, use fetal monitors, plan to give birth in a sterile hospital, your birth is not "natural" following the same logic.   

I agree. The actual birth is only a tiny part of the whole process. I've never quite understood the claim that a natural birth is laying in a hospital bed hooks up to monitors.
  • @sewvt86 you're destroying my desire for a vbac. I didn't like that I couldn't hold DS right away with the c-section.

I don't like the idea of a needle in my spine. I also don't like the idea of anesthesia. So I want to vbac to avoid the spinal. But I'm afraid my vbac attempt will fail and I'll end up having to get general. So I guess we will see.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I would be totally okay if they gave me an epi the minute I felt the first cramp. 

And every birth is "Natural".  Birth is Natural.  Its not like you would go around saying IVF women are "unnaturally pregnant".  Just sometimes people need a little help!
    Momma to Dakota (3/21/06), Willow (7/22/09), Scarlett (1/9/11) 
    BIG SURPRISE BABY DUE 9/7/15

Surro-Momma to Devinaj (2/5/14)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"