February 2015 Moms
Options

Crazy to think about doctor switch now?

cosmamacosmama member
edited December 2014 in February 2015 Moms

Hi ladies,  I am getting myself all worked up about make this decision but I am nearly 32 weeks and thinking about switching doctors.  Nothing super bad going on, but I just feel like she is not on top of things. With my first daughter I was super confident that she was watching things carefully (I have high bp) but this time around I have to remind her of things.  I had the flu terribly this week and the nurse told me I needed to come in and get checked to make sure they baby wasn't stressed. Well, the doctor walked in and just asked if I had any questions, did the normal measure my belly and listen to the heart and would not have even addressed my illness had I not brought it up. She asked about how my ultrasound last week went. I was like, um, I haven't had an ultrasound in more than 3 months.

Am I just adding to the stress by trying to find a new doctor now?  I am planning a repeat csection but was thinking about talking to someone about a vbac if I am going to switch.  I currently see a doctor nearby but will have to travel an hour or so if I seek a doctor elsewhere. Am I overreacting?  Do doctors even want to take on patients this late in the game?

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Crazy to think about doctor switch now?

• Options
    I think you should address your concerns with your OB, 32 weeks is pretty late in the game to just start thinking about a switch IMO.

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Do it!!! If you aren't comfortable with your provider your won't be comfortable with your birth no matter what happens. Even if all you do it look and stick with who you have already, you'll at least have the information to feel confident in your choice.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was supposed to start non stress tests at 28 weeks and haven't had one yet.  I just don't feel like I have the knowledge to tell her what tests I need and when.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I just read about a lady who switched from he obgyn to a midwife at 38 weeks. You are not alone. Start calling right away and see if another practice will take you. Some may not, and that may answer the question better than we can.
  • Options
    I just switched Obgyns last week, at 33 weeks. Best decision I ever made! I, too, was trying to decide whether or not it was too late to switch, but the longer you wait to make a decision, the later in your pregnancy you'll be. You've gotta go with your gut feeling.
  • Options
    Personally, I'm not sure I would switch based on what you've described, unless there's something more to the story? Everything went well with your first pregnancy, and it sounds like just a one time thing where she was a bit scatty. We all have off moments, she doesn't sound incompetent, and I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel switching to a dr 1 hour away. You're also taking a risk as you can't be sure you'll be more satisfied with a new provider. Also, if you want to switch to a vbac, why can you not discuss this with your current doc?
    Just my opinion, hope all works out!
  • Options
    I would try to switch. No way would I want a distracted or scatterbrained doctor cutting me open for a RCS. Plus, not giving you the option of a VBAC (assuming no medical reason) is awful.
    IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP, DS born Jan 2013
    IVF/ICSI #2 - BFP, DD born Feb 2015
    IVF FET - BFP, due April 2017

• Options
    Why not! My midwives are changing as often as I change my underwear (ok maybe not that much but certainly not my doing). Call around and see what's what.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    35 weeks Wednesday and I see my new OB that day. I am not really changing by choice, I am changing because my doctor will be on vacation the week i deliver so I want to see the one that will be delivering for me. I see no harm in changing - best to stay within the same practice if you can so your records are there.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'd say go for it. I'm going for a vba2c and I have many docs in the background in case my current one doesn't honor my wishes or tries to pressure me into another unnecessary c section. And go for that vbac! It's highly recommend, and actually a guideline from the acog saying that a majority of women after one and two c sections should be attempting and offered the ability to have a vbac.
  • Options
    In switched doctors on week 32! I was not happy or comfortable with my dr's approach. I am glad i did.
  • Options
    I would switch this late solely for the option of a VBAC if that's important to you. I switched doctors so that I would have a better chance at a VBAC.
    m/c 7/17/10
    Dx: MFI- 3% morph
    IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
    IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
    3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
    Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
    Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
    BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
    6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • Options
    It's never to late to switch! You should be able to feel comfortable with your provider, your care, and your approach toward delivery. Try for that VBAC if it's accessible and find someone you trust
  • Options
    Not all doctors will take late transfers.

Some areas have only 1 or 2 vbac-friendly docs--trust me, these providers are used to late switches!! My first vbac was with one such doctor, he took me at 20 weeks but I have heard of him taking on patients at 41 weeks.

My current midwives (hospital deliveries) also take late transfers in the 35+ week range, but I've overheard a certain amount of sarcastic chatter between them about late transfers. (Not about me, I started with them at the very beginning of my last pregnancy and was changing providers because I had moved to a new town).

I think patients seeking vbac are particularly prone to changing around and trying to find the right provider--the one that can REALLY be trusted to decide if a repeat c-sec is truly, truly necessary. That can, however, make us seem a little flaky in the eyes of the providers, so I get that they would feel a little skeptical about whether to take on new patients so late in pregnancy.
  • Options
    I would call a couple practices and see if they will accept you, then make your decision.  I know some will not take you this late, but you might find one that is able to.

I switched practices around 24 weeks.  Not late in the game, but I can't even explain how much happier I am with my new practice and doctor.  I didn't realize how much stress the previous group was causing me until I experienced fantastic care.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"