Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Tummy Sleeping

My DS is almost 3months old, has excellent head and neck control. He will put himself to sleep and sleep much better when he is on his tummy. I only let him do it during naps when I can keep an eye on him, but am wondering if it's safe to let him sleep on his belly at night time? Would love to know other mommy's opinions on this

Re: Tummy Sleeping

• Options
    edited December 2014
    If the baby can flip back and forth on their own, I wouldn't worry. I can't remember exactly when my DD1 first started flipping to her belly to sleep but the first couple of nights it absolutely freaked me out. I kept going in to flip her back (not because she couldn't but because I was scared) and it got to be ridiculous. She would turn right back to her stomach. So I let it go. I know it was well before 6 months. She's been a great belly sleeper since then...
  • Options
    He Doesn't flip back and Forth just yet but can lift head and turn side to side
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It depends on the baby. DD had awful reflux and severe colic. She threw up once while on her back and I heard a funny noise. Thankfully this was during a nap. When I got in her room, she was blue and choking. Belly sleeper from then...6 wks.
    Triplets are all belly sleepers too.. have been from about 4 mos and did it in nicu too.

No periods due to 17 years of ballet and distance running after college.  Zero response to 2 months of Clomid, little response to Letrozole.  IUI left with 9 cysts = too many viable eggs due to age.  On to IVF.  Low dose of all meds still produced 37 mature eggs 12.6.11.  Froze due to overstimulation.  

FET #1.1 1.22.12 BFN.   FET #1.2 2.22.12=GRACE! (and a vanishing twin).  

Grace Katherine born 10.25.12 @ 36w6w 6#14oz 19.5".
    FET #1.3 3.2013 BFN FET#1.4 4.2013 BFN. Never tried a fresh transfer.  Let's try, despite 10 still frozen.  
    ER 6.26.13 27 mature eggs, slight overstim. ET   7.1.13 ectopic, FET 2.1  9.10.14   TRIPLETS!!  

Boys born 3.18.14 @ 29w5d.  Andrew Jack 3#6oz 16", Grant Robert 3#9oz 16", Charles Phillip 3#7oz 17".

• Options
    leela02leela02 member
    edited December 2014
    Tummy sleeping is associated with a higher risk of SIDS, so pediatricians usually recommend putting babies on their back to sleep especially if they can't flip themselves over. If they can roll over, the recommendation is to still put them down on their back but you can leave them alone if they roll over after being put down. Some mommies don't follow the recommendation because their babies hate being flat and sleep much better on their tummies, so it's your decision.

No one knows why tummy sleeping is linked to more cases of SIDS but I personally wouldn't take the risk if the baby can sleep okay on her back. My DD has mild reflux and she once looked like she was about to choke on spitup while on her back in her crib. She was making choking sounds, red-faced, and freaking out. So since then she sleeps in a Rock n Play, which keeps her on her back but on an incline and she doesn't spit up in it. She's almost 3 months and sleeps 8-9 hrs at night. SIDS is most common between 2-4 months of age so personally I would try a RnP before tummy sleeping.
  • Options
    A Rock n Play has many risk factors that are thought to increase SIDS; sling bottom (firm, flat surface recommended), extra padding/infant inserts that easily shift (no loose bedding is recommended), and incline position (research indicates that infants have an increase in oxygen desaturation when sleeping on an incline which can lead to suffication).  In addition,  they also increase the risk of your baby developing torticollis and/or plagiocephaly.  Bottom line, a RNP is not a safe option for prolonged, unsupervised sleep.  All of this information is available on the AAP website.

• Options
    sec13 said:

He Doesn't flip back and Forth just yet but can lift head and turn side to side

General rule of thumb is that baby should be able to roll & get into the tummy position by himself. If he cannot roll onto his side or back by himself then I (personally) would not feel comfortable allowing him to sleep on his stomach.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    uksteph11 said:
    A Rock n Play has many risk factors that are thought to increase SIDS; sling bottom (firm, flat surface recommended), extra padding/infant inserts that easily shift (no loose bedding is recommended), and incline position (research indicates that infants have an increase in oxygen desaturation when sleeping on an incline which can lead to suffication).  In addition,  they also increase the risk of your baby developing torticollis and/or plagiocephaly.  Bottom line, a RNP is not a safe option for prolonged, unsupervised sleep.  All of this information is available on the AAP website.

This is also true for carseats in case people are not aware
    ===siggy warning====
    Me: 40, DH: 42
    Diagnosis: PCOS
    TTC: May 2013
    TX: IUI #1 with Follistim. Canceled due to too many follicles (10 + that were large); BENCHED
    IVF #1 March 6. 14 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized. 
    March 11, 4 eggs transferred.
    March 21 BFP  :) Beta #1 457, Beta #2 1350, Beta #3 9619. 
    Due Date November 27, 2014
    TEAM BLUE

• Options
    leela02leela02 member
    edited December 2014
    uksteph11 said:

That's true but some babies have to sleep inclined because of reflux, and DD's pedi said the RnP is fine for that. Since OP's baby doesn't seem to have much issue sleeping on his back, I would just keep putting him on his back and give him lots of tummy time while awake until he is good at flipping himself over. But that's OP's call.
  • Options
    Here's some interesting information from a nurse on back sleeping and SIDS. https://naturaltothecore.wordpress.com/2013/02/14/revisiting-sids-and-back-sleeping-part-1/
    I found it useful when I had to face the same choice for my little girl.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"