Toddlers: 24 Months+

Acting up around grandma!

My 2.5 year old dd acts up so bad around grandma! (My mom). She's a completely different kid around her. My mom spoils her, gives her everything she wants, etc.
DD loves her to peices, of course. It's so embarrassing when other family members are around because dd gets super whiny and throws tantrums as soon as my mom doesn't pay attention to her.
I've tried talking to my mom but she doesn't think anything is wrong. She says"Typical two year old", when I know that's not the case. She's a completely different kid when she's not around my mom. I don't want to prevent my dd from seeing my mom, but my patience is running thin. Any advice? Anyone in my same boat?

Re: Acting up around grandma!

• I should also mention that I do discipline, when needed, when dd acts up. But she will then run to grandma for comfort and I'm then the bad guy! :( so frustrating!!!!
  • How often is your DD with your mom? I think this is very normal. My mom and MIL spoil my kids too. They give them too much ice cream and let them make messes without cleaning up after. But they usually only see my kids a couple hours per week so I don't feel like their influence is a problem. I just accept that they are enjoying each other.

If your LO sees your mom a lot and it's affecting her in other areas I would talk to your mom. If your DD is fine otherwise and it's occasional I would just let it go. I think it's normal 2 yo behavior too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for the reply. Yes, it's only a couple hours a week. Sometimes the odd sleepover. Glad I'm not the only one. I guess what gets me is that I feel like I have no control over DD when my mom is around. I feel helpless when she acts up.
    I guess the only thing that DD does when grandma isn't around is that if she's with her for a few hours...when/after I pick her up, she starts asking to see grandma again. And the asking doesn't stop for 2-3 days!! Eventually the asking stops....but then the cycle starts again the following week.
    You are right, as long as it's not affecting her in other areas (besides the constant asking), I think she will be okay. She does have a blast with grandma, which makes me happy. Just so frustrating when she acts the way she does only when she sees her. Maybe I just need to look the other way a bit...lol
  • I totally get it.  My DD can be so dramatic and when she gets upset can pout for like a full hour.  I choose to tell her that I'm ready to talk when she is is but I'm not going to follow her around.  However, if she does that when either grandma is around they will bring her drinks and snacks and cuddle her instead of just ignoring it.  I get so annoyed and will tell them to just ignore it.   But since I don't think the are actually making anything worse I just let it go.  

Grandparents are always going to make different choices for our kids then we do.  If something is serious we speak up but most things it's just easier to let go.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"