Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Not enough milk: suggestions?

I had a c-section 11 days ago and although my milk can in on day 5 of my daughters life, it's now 6 days later and I'm still only producing about 1-1.5 oz between both breasts when I pump. I want to nurse my daughter but I'm not making enough so I'm formula feeding and giving her pumped breast milk when I have 3 oz (which is how much she's been drinking).

I've tried eating almonds, oatmeal, drinking multiple cups of mothers milk tea as well as other teas that "support" nursing but they don't seem to be working. I'm worried that I'll never be able to breastfeed my baby. Does anyone have any tips that worked for them to increase their milk supply?

Re: Not enough milk: suggestions?

• No suggestions here. I'm in the same boat and just accepted this as the way it's going to be. Only difference is that I breastfeed her instead of pumping and then give her formula if she's still showing hunger cues (which is 98% of the time). LO is 7.5 weeks old. I had the same issue/routine w my first. Good luck.
  • I had the same problem. Lactation consultant told me to take Fenugreek 2 capsules twice a day with food. If I tolerated it well, increase it to three times a day. I saw an increase in supply almost immediately and now at 13 days PP I pump about 2-2.5oz from EACH Breast in a 20 min session. Im now able to cut out supplementing and am able to breast feed because there is enough milk that LO isn't getting angry when I put him to breast. Also, continue with your diet and tea and I was told Gatorade is a huge help too. GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • I had troubles with a decreased milk supply too..The best thing that worked for me was nursing my LO CONSTANTLY. When he was hungry, tired, just needed comfort. I mean CONSTANTLY. It took about a week or two but my breasts slowly started getting fuller. Pumping is not the same. Your baby can pull down and drain your breast milk better than any pump on the market. Just try to hang in there and be patient. I know it can be frustrating and even make you depressed.
  • My daughter is 11 weeks old now and for the first 2 weeks I was exclusively pumping and feeding her because I was having alot of problems breastfeeding (she had trouble staying latched due to tongue and lip tie). 1.5 oz each pumping session was normal for me at around that time, 6 days after my milk came in. The more I continued to pump the more milk I produced. I would say just keep at it and your milk supply should go up as you keep doing it. BF as much as possible and like someone else said, if anything see a lactation consultant
  • For what it's worth, lactation consultants at the hospital and the one at our pedi office have advised that 3oz is on target. LO is 2 weeks old. He is a good size baby - born at 8lb 15oz and now at 9lb 2oz - not sure if that makes a difference, but just sharing what I've been advised.

OP, I'm having similar issues with supply. As others have advised, just keep baby at breast as much as possible, with the pump as your back-up.
    BFP on 4.3.2014
    EDD 12.10.2014
    DS #1 born 12.16.2014 - He's perfect!

• I am exclusively pumping. I went through a "dry spell" and had to introduce my baby to formula. We are now supplementing each day but primarily giving him breastmilk. The natural supplement Fenugreek was amazing. I am now able to pump twice what I was my first month. I bought the WalMart brand and the GNC brand and I would say that the GNC brand extremely was more beneficial. 

Good Luck. 
  • First, are you sure you have a milk supply problem? Is your LO dirty/wet diaper output good? Is LO gaining weight? Then you may not be an efficient pumper, but if you are putting the baby to the Breast then you probably do not actually have a supply issue.

If you have a confirmed supply issue, I would try to meet with a LC. But, be careful with a weighed feeding. Sometimes your LO may just need a snack and other times a full meal.

When I was working with the LC, they recommended renting a hospital grade pump (such as the Medela Symphony). I was to put baby to Breast, then once she refused both sides I was to pump. Hopefully, you can "supplement" with the pumped breast milk and avoid formula, but if not, then use formula after. Remember it's totally normal for a newborn to eat every 2 hours, and sometimes even more depending on how much they take in a feeding session.

I also used "more milk" supplements by mother love, which has fenugreek, blessed thistle, and other ingredients known to help milk supply. I also drank mothers milk tea.

Unfortunately, my dd started refusing the breast around 2 months and pumping wasn't enough to keep my supply up, so we had to stop breast feeding. Good luck and hope you are able to continue your breastfeeding relationship!
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • All the medication they had u on for a c section and the pain killers they give u to go home with slow.down.Ur.milk supply. It toke me awhile for my.milk to come in. My baby is 3 wks old.And I can barely get 2 oz. I feed her both boob and formula. Mainly cuz I prefer breast feeding in private
  • ok... I have a problem with milk as well... Before I had to go back to work I had so much milk that I had to wash my sheets everyday because at night I would get the bed soaked. However, I had to go back to work so I can only feed on little one twice a day and the rest is from a bottle from what I pumped. I try on days I'm off to strictly breastfeed hoping it will increase. I drink the mothers milk tea.... and I pump 2-3 times while I'm at work. But my milk supply will not increase anymore and I have no option but to pump. Is there a way to increase my milk supply while pumping so much? Any tricks or tips will be great!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"