August 2014 Moms
Options

Routines with starting food

kareik01kareik01 member
edited December 2014 in August 2014 Moms

We've started having so many discussions about food recently and it always makes me think of getting a good "routine" down to make it easiest on DD when we starts foods. I know the typical recommendation is to start veggies first and I know it's also recommended to do new foods in the morning in order to watch for allergies.
So my problem is with starting foods in the morning. I already get up between 5:30 and 6 and I'm usually rushing to finish things before heading out the door. I could live with getting up earlier if I needed to in order to feed DD, but she usually doesn't get up until 7:15 or later anyway, sometimes I have to wake her up myself to get ready for daycare. So what do I do? I do NOT want to interrupt her sleep patterns to feed her if I don't have to, because she's really started getting a nice routine down and sleeps so well these days.

So...
Do I wake her up to feed her in the morning?
Do I let her sleep and just do foods in the early evening so I have time to watch for any reactions?
Do I just do it whenever I get the chance? If she wakes up early one morning, do it then, and if not just do it that night?
Just do foods on weekends?

Like I said I want a good routine, but being a working full-time EBF mom is already so tough and I'm struggling to figure out the best course of action.

Re: Routines with starting food

• Options

No allergies to food that I'm aware of on either side of the family.

• Options
    I thought you already started your D on solids? Give her what your eating when your eating it. Have daycare give her cereal during the day and then you can feed her other foods at night.
    Started her on cereal. I don't really count that as "food" ;) Don't plan to start veggies until next month.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We haven't started yet but my plan is to feed him around our dinner time. We try hard to sit down and eat dinner together every night and I want him to be part of this routine.
  • Options
    kareik01 said:
    I thought you already started your D on solids? Give her what your eating when your eating it. Have daycare give her cereal during the day and then you can feed her other foods at night.
    Started her on cereal. I don't really count that as "food" ;) Don't plan to start veggies until next month.
    Also, when you say give her whatever we are eating, do you mean right off the table, or pureed? I've been wondering recently what a lot of people mean by "solids". I don't think I'll feel comfortable giving DD a solid piece of food for a while.
  • Options
    Start on a weekend. If LO doesn't have a reaction in two days, you're likely safe. Then feed in the evenings.

Pregnancy Ticker

Zoe Nicole: 8/21/14

Due again: 1/17/18

• Options
    I agree about not stressing over food. Re: Allergies most reactions in babies aren't severe. Also most allergic reactions occur within an hour of eating. Some LOs just have sensitive skin, though, so sometimes reactions might be irritation rather than allergy. Keep an eye on redness but watch out for vomiting, hives/swelling, inconsolable screaming. For a bad reaction, you'll know bc it will be obvious and scary. I wish food allergies on no one -- they suck and are so stressful to live with.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"