High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Abnormal NT Scan

Hello everyone. I had an abnormal NT scan earlier this week (5.7 mm). It was totally unexpected - at least for me - as I am 31 with one very healthy child. I know that doesn't mean anything though. I had a blood test to test for T13, 18 and 21 and then have amino on on 1/21. Though, difficult, I know I will be able to accept if something is wrong, but just living without knowing is killing me right now. I am so depressed and not sure what to do. I am really scared and feel like I'm living in a hell-like limbo until we can figure out what is going on. Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat and has any experience to share or any support groups they can recommend. TIA

Re: Abnormal NT Scan

• Options
    lawsonellislawsonellis member
    edited December 2014
    I had the same thing- my baby's NT was 5.3 *and* she had a echogenic white spot on her heart (2 soft markers for downs). I did an amniocentesis and had the fish analysis (rushed reports) for T13, T18, and T21.

In the week that it took to get results back, my thoughts went everywhere and I was scared and depressed as well. My H was terrified- neither of us knew what we would do with less than perfect results. I think what helped me was developing an action plan (to the best you can).

If it comes back positive for T21 (downs) what will you do? Will it change your mind as far as carrying to term? If so, be prepared for that. If not, then nothing will change between now and when you know, except for what kind of research you get to do afterwards :) If you get a positive dx, then seek out support groups, information, etc - and your OB should have info too.

For the other possible "defects" research the prognosis (if you can stomach them- sometimes it scares people more, but I for one like to know all possible outcomes so I can prepare for them). Decide what your path could be given a positive dx.

Once you have potential outcomes and reactions to those outcomes, I find it easier (although still hella hard) to wait for the definitive answer.

Also make sure you don't keep this to yourself alone. You need at least one person you can talk to about your fears and your thoughts- as brutal as they may seem.

The outcome of my story was a great one: my LO was perfectly healthy despite two soft markers. I'm 30 with my first so in your age range too. :)

Feels free to PM me if you want to talk, and stay strong momma!

Edit: autocorrect
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"