C-sections

C-Section b/c of symphysis pubis separation

Hello all -

This is my second pregnancy, and I am 37 +1 day along.  With my first pregnancy, about 6 years ago, I needed a walker for about two weeks after vaginal delivery.  The doctors speculated it was because my pubic bones had separated with the passage of the baby and needed time to heal.  With my current pregnancy, I have had so much  pelvic girdle pain it's unbelievable,  whereas with my first pregnancy I don't recall having much pain or issues with sciatica at all.  I can't help but to think that my current pain is due in part to my past injuries, but of course I don't want to make assumptions that may or may not be true.  What I do know is that I have extreme trouble standing from a seated position/walking around without falling over/rolling over in bed.  My doctor says it could just be a natural progression of things as I have aged, and I do have scoliosis which absolutely could be contributing to my sciatica.  All told, I'm still so freaked out that I will risk another pelvic separation with this baby that I've elected for a C-section at 39 weeks +5 days.  Has anyone else dealt with a situation like this and how did you handle it? I am not thrilled about getting surgery..

Re: C-Section b/c of symphysis pubis separation

• Has your doctor agreed to perform the CS for this reason?  I know I had a lot of pain the last 2 months of my first pregnancy, where it always felt like I had just knocked my pubic bone on the bar of a bike (if you've ever experienced that great feeling).  My doctor at the time felt it was what you are referring to here.  I did deliver my first vaginally, but pushed for over 2 1/2 hours.  Basically what was happening was she was caught on my pubic bone and couldn't clear under it.  They finally called in a second OB and he angled DD downward more by pushing on my abdomen, and with only 2 contractions of pushing like that, she was out.  I felt so badly because she had a bruised line going across the top of her forehead where she was hitting the bone for the first 2+ hours each time I tried to push.  Needless to say I had a lot of pubic pain too after that birth.

The doctors never suggested a CS with my second birth, but I ended up with one because DS was so big.  He couldn't descend down into my pelvis despite days of continuous contractions at term (he ended up 9lbs 12oz and a huge head).  When I was pregnant with my third, I had a lot more pain, especially in the first trimester, I think mainly from scar tissue from my first CS.

For me personally, both the vaginal birth and CS were the same with regard to pain/discomfort, just in different ways.  Any time something the size of a watermelon is coming out of your body, it isn't going to be a walk in the park.  I also have scoliosis (I don't know how bad yours is, but I did wear a brace as a child - no surgery) and with both my CS the anesthesiologist had issues getting the epidural in initially due to the curvature.  With my vaginal, I didn't have that issue. Did you have an epi with your vaginal? 

If I didn't have the complication with my second being so big, I would have done another vaginal over my CS.  But, I didn't seem to have the same issue with the pelvic pain during my second pregnancy.   GL!

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• I have always had scheduled c/s for other reasons, so I don't have experience with pelvic girdle pain related to a vaginal birth. However, I had terrible pelvic girdle pain with my third and fourth pregnancies that landed me on moderate bed rest towards the end. For me, the pelvic pain disappeared as soon as the baby was born. Not sure if that is the norm.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"