June 2013 Moms
Options

What to say to a crying adult?

I know this is an odd question for Xmas eve, and really long, so sorry.

Back story: My family does not deal well with crying. My mom cried at the drop of a hat my entire childhood and it drove my dad nuts. He always just said "(insert plural last name) don't cry" and would ignore the person who was crying until they were calm enough to just talk rationally. Because of this, I'm really not a cryer. I will occasionally, but if I do, I just want to be left alone until I calm down.

So here's the problem, my MIL is a cryer big-time. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, I just have no idea how to respond to it in a helpful way.

Today, after being out of town for 2 weeks, se called me sobbing because someone keyed there car and they think it's their 94 year old landlady who is going senile. My MIL is totally overtired and overwhelmed. I get that. And having your car keyed really sucks. I get that too.

I said I was sorry, that it stinks and is unfair, tht they should call the cops, that it must be really overwhelming, but she just kept hanging on the phone sobbing like she was waiting for me to say or do something more. After like 5 minutes she got all huffy and said "sorry I bothered you, I'll let you got." I assured her she wasn't any bother and if there was anything I could do to please let me know.

What am I missing? Is there something else I'm supposed to say? I feel like I'm broken when it comes to giving sympathy to people when they're upset.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: What to say to a crying adult?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"