July 2013 Moms
Options

GTKY: Holiday Traditions

Which holiday do you celebrate?

What is your favorite tradition?

We celebrate Christmas. My favorite tradition is baking buttermilk pie & sugar cookies to frost. We watch The Muppet's Xmas Carol & drink hot chocolate in our PJs!

My mom did this with us. My Dad used to let us decorate a little tree while listening to The Muppet's Christmas album (the older one with John Denver).

So I'm decorating a mini tree to put on our urn table (we have pets & people on the urn table by the front door) & going to listen to the album tonight. I miss my Dad!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: GTKY: Holiday Traditions

• Options
    The Muppet Christmas carol is the only real tradition we have left. We used to watch it after breakfast Christmas morning, but now we watch it at my parents after opening gifts whenever we can all be there. This year, it will be Sunday morning after Church.

Part of the tradition is to moan and groan during "the love is gone", but I secretly like it. 
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    new2011mommynew2011mommy member
    edited December 2014
    Tonight my family is coming in a few hours. Our tradition is to order Chinese food for dinner. We get lots of food so I cannot wait.

Edit: we celebrate both days. Tomorrow my parents are coming back over along with my aunt, uncle, my cousin and his family, and DH's family. I am making eggplant parm, lasagna, meatballs, sausages, roast beef, and green beans.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    andrea0418andrea0418 member
    edited December 2014
    Christmas Eve we go to church then to my parents house for fondue. Cheese for dinner then a few hrs later we have chocolate! It gets pretty creative with the things we find to dip in the fondue!
    We used to watch a Christmas movie but that's impossible with toddlers now so we open some gifts and play.

>:D< Prim
  • Options
    Thanks y'all :awesome:

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    @PrimRoseMama‌ >:D<

We spend Christmas Eve with the inlaws which I like and then Christmas morning just us opening presents! Christmas dinner with my parents, this year at our house...my favourite tradition is our Christmas pudding with hot rum sauce, my mom and I make it every year and I have fond memories of my great grandma msking the rum sauce when I was a kid !!

Karen - 36      DH - 39

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    H and I watch Love Actually on Christmas Eve. I think White Christmas will be on tomorrow. Maggie loves music.

We are still trying to figure out more traditions for our family :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    On Christmas Eve the kids open one present. It's always their Christmas pajamas. We make cookies for Santa and watch a movie. We really should start going to church again on Christmas Eve. We've been bad the last two years or so.
  • Options
    And so sorry, Prim. That must be so hard. :(
  • Options
    We really don't have any yet with our little family. We're starting a Christmas Eve box with Oliver and it has pjs, a movie, and a snack. This year he's getting toy story and animal crackers. He won't open it until tomorrow because DH is working tonight.

We celebrate Christmas and will spend tomorrow with my family.

@PrimRoseMama‌ I thought I was the only one who loved john Denver and the muppets! Hopefully you can listen to it and think of your dad during the good times. >:D<
  • Options
    @arlingirl‌ : nope! I seriously get the warmest of fuzzies with that album!

FFXmasConfession: I still have Dad's record player for this album. The scritch-scratch type sounds & "feel" of the record playing makes me feel so happy. H offered to get it on iTunes & I was like, "no!" . I know he meant well but I love it on the record player.

I am an old lady lol.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    We celebrate Christmas. As a kid we always went to my grandmas on Christmas Eve and then headed over to church. We brought home from church our little advent candle which symbolized bringing the light of Christ into the world.

We haven't established any big traditions yet with our family. We still go to church though it just doesn't feel the same as my childhood church. We will be reading Twas the night before Christmas today before bed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We celebrate on both days. Usually on Christmas Eve we are all at my parents. We go to church and then eat oyster stew and then open presents.

Christmas Day we usually have lasagna and just all hang out.

DH family doesn't go to church and they make homemade pizza and then open presents. That's what we're doing tonight. Pizza dough is ready to be rolled. This is so not my comfortable family tradition but pizza sounds so awesome right now.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Right now I want to throw my traditions to the wind and spend time with my family.

Eve- my moms mom, then dads mom
    Day- Santa, moms, dads and then mother in laws (psycho I'll need a Xanax I'm sure)
    Day after- charleston for great grandmother in laws

I really hate the hustle of it all. I'm trying to be excited for evas sake but secretly I am super annoyed at all the places and we can't enjoy our time.
  • Options
    We've always had Santa come on Christmas Eve and will continue that for our little family.

Most of our traditions revolve around food - the same dishes served annually.

We always go to candle light service on Christmas Eve.

We started a new tradition as our little family this year - buying gifts for two children Addie's age from the giving tree at church. Eventually, I would like our children to do the shopping for this.
  • Options
    We celebrate christmas.  Our tradition starts with an annual christmas ornament for the tree ( we have no generic balls on our tree, they are all custom picked). I think DH and I have decided that we always want to do christmas day at our house and whoever wants to join is welcome but apparently no one thinks we are worth visiting.  It is so frustrating for us that everyone expects us to drive to them! Rant over.  This year we opened all presents christmas eve since DH worked christmas day, and we were supposed to do stockings christmas morning but LO decided to sleep in so looks like we will be doing them the morning after christmas.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"