June 2014 Moms

Help! Suddenly not eating at daycare?

DD has consistently been eating 3 bottles at daycare basically since she started going at 7 weeks, minus a day here or a day there.  Around Thanksgiving they told me she was still acting hungry after bottles so I upped them to 4 1/2 ounces so she was taking 3 - 4 1/2 ounce bottles a day for a total of 13 1/2 ounces.  Well last Wednesday the 17th was the last time she had three bottles. Since they she's had two, sometimes one a day. She's not cranky, she still has good diapers, she's still nursing well.

We nurse before daycare around 715, as soon as I get home (6) and once before bed (9) then sometimes once over night. On the weekends I nurse on demand and it's about every 3 - 4 hours. We have slowly been introducing more solids as well but have not started sending them to daycare. I'll nurse when I get home then she's been getting purees or cereal about an hour later. She had two bottles yesterday which seems about right, but hubby picked her up at 1215 to go get her flu shot and she hadn't had a bottle yet. She usually naps from 9 - 11ish and then again in the afternoon.

Should I be concerned??? I spoke with daycare last week when I picked her up and we thought it might be the nipple because I still had her on slow flow, oops. So we changed that out but it doesn't entirely seem to be making a difference.

Thoughts??

Engaged: 7/19/09 Married: 9/19/10
BFP: 10/14/13 EDD: 6/16/14 DD Arrived: 6/21/14
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

June '14 Siggy Challenge: Warm Places

Re: Help! Suddenly not eating at daycare?

• sm623sm623 member
    edited December 2014
    Sorry I don't have any advice, but I wanted to mention that my LO is still using slow flow nipples. I've intentionally left her them so that she won't start preferring the bottle over the boob.
  • That was kind of my thought too but one of the teachers mentioned that might be the issue because she has to work harder and maybe it's hurting her jaw. They basically conned her into eating twice today.

I have a call into the pedi but they didn't ca me back before 5. I'll have to call and see if they are open tomorrow.

• Loading the player...
  • Also no help here but maybe start sending a little bit of solid to DC and see how she does? I did notice that LO was drinking less milk lately because her nose was stuffed and probably got tired sucking.
  • Was think it might be the stuffiness but I thought she was doing better.

Might also be teeth... who knows. Sigh

• My pedi said to always call if they stop eating just to make sure no infections. I have a quick let down and mild oversupply so my LO rejected the slow flow nipples after a while. We switched to medium and our problems went away. I'm not worried about her preferring a bottle to breast at this point (6.5mo). Also some days my girl drinks all 15 oz I send and other times she just takes an ounce or two at a time (still equalling 12-15 oz). Sorry you're goin through this. It's stressful when they don't want I eat and you're away.
  • I would think it was something like that if we weren't just at her 6 mo appointment on Thursday I didn't think much of her not eating then since I nursed her at her appointment.

Now we are up 2 - 3 times a night since Saturday. I would think growth spurt except she's eating less during the day.

Wtf kid... sigh. She's happy. Doesn't seem to be in pain. Isn't freaking out when I lay her down on either side to nurse.

• I don't *think* there are any wonder weeks right now, but a sign of a developmental leap is decreased appetite. I hope she snaps out of it soon!

image        image

• My other thought is teeth we only nursed once last night but she probably woke about 6 other times, cried for like 15 seconds and fell back to sleep. Her checks were pretty rosey last night

• Sounds like he's making up for the refused daytime milk at night. My LO will do that when teething too bc I think her mouth hurts and she notices more in the daytime. Hopefully it's just a stage and will pass soon.
  • No advice, cause my lil raptor will never refuse food when offered, but she's a beast.  I hope you and LO figure things out soon though!  Maybe she's just not taking as much milk because of teething and she's more satisfied with having some solids? GL
    MET: 12/31/06 ENGAGED: 5/23/11 MARRIED: 11/11/11 DD DOB: 6/6/14
    image image image
  • Teething does so many weird things in the days right before they break through. Why aren't you sending solids to daycare?

I'd send solids and up the nipple flow. I think at this point nursing is established and they're going to be working on sippys soon anyways. Worth a shot! Q
  • Teething does so many weird things in the days right before they break through. Why aren't you sending solids to daycare?

I'd send solids and up the nipple flow. I think at this point nursing is established and they're going to be working on sippys soon anyways. Worth a shot! Q

We just really started intro-ing solids so she hasn't been eating a ton. I'm going to plan on intro-ing more through the new year and get her now used to them and start sending after the new year

• Hi @clwheel‌ ! I just noticed this thread and wondered how things are going for you now. We seem to be going through the same thing now with my LO. She's been refusing the bottle. She just started developing a cold when I started to send solids with her to DC. She dropped one whole bottle then! So I thought it could be a combo of solids and cold but now her cold is pretty much gone but she is still being fussy with bottle. Sometimes it will just sit in her mouth and she'll smile. Other times she's freaking out with it just nearing her face! Ugh. We are still using slow flow nipples. I'm hoping this will pass soon but it's been more than a week now! He diapers are fine and she hasn't lost any weight. TIA!
  • Thanks @Fuccimama‌! Good to know I'm not alone and glad to hear things may improve. I started wondering if I am not feeding her solids at the right time and they are making her uninterested in her bottles. Or is she just going to drink less regardless. I've also noticed she's been gum rubbing so maybe her teeth are coming in soon too! She was a small baby when she was born (<5lbs) and now she's 50% for height/ weigh. So we've placed so much importance on feeding her that I worry when she's not eating like she used to.
  • Hi @maureeab!

Yes it was something that she basically just got over. I found some info regarding a reverse cycling, which seems what she did. Suddenly one day she decided she was just going to go back to eating it all. I also did end up going with the medium flow nipples (we use the Medela bottles and there are only two nipples). Not sure if that helped or if it was something she just needed to get over

• Thanks @clwheel‌! We are gonna pick up some medium flow nipples today. Hoping it will at least keep her on the bottle once she starts. She has at least gotten a little better the past day or so. I am hoping this phase is almost at an end.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"