September 2014 Moms

Anyone else dealing with the 4th leap?

We've been dealing with the 4th leap for a few days now and I don't know how we are going to get through 5 weeks of this. DD started STTN when she was 8 weeks old. Now she's up every 2-3 hours, has marathon nursing sessions, and is often inconsolable during the day. Let's hear those vents or any tips to get through this
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Anyone else dealing with the 4th leap?

• Following, E is slated to start this weekend... we just got through a growth spurt, I'm not looking forward to the 4th leap.  I wonder if what they call the 4 month sleep regression is really just the leap?
    Eliza Mae - September 16th, 2014
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ours just started.  He's added back in his MOTN feeding and is more clingy with me and wanting to nurse more.  He had a rough time with my DH when I went shopping Sunday and had an episode at daycare yesterday which is very uncharacteristic.  Thankfully I'll be working from home the rest of the year and will be keeping him home with me a lot.  
    Big Brother Nolan 07.30.12
  • Loading the player...
  • Has anyone's LO experienced an increase in spit up during this leap. I am starting to suspect we are in the 4th leap. My DD is spitting up buckets all day.. Even right before she eats again she is still spitting up. This started the day after she started waking up to eat at night again.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • MyLO spit up has increased its crazy she spits and i think maybe she isn't hungry but then she swallows the bottle
  • Eek we just went through the third leap... I put the pack n play we had set up in our room because she's been STTN and in her crib for quite awhile (except we had some trouble during her third leap) now reading all this... Maybe I should have left the pnp up lol good luck ladies
  • We are also back to a MOTN feeding after STTN for over a month. Sigh...I'm suspecting 4th leap might be starting a few days early since this is pretty unusual for her.

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My big difference has been DD being so clingy. She still sleeps at night with her usual two wakes to feed. She was napping great in the crib and that had gone out the window. She only sleeps if someone is holding her. Why does this leap have to be so long?!?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • And now I think we may be in the 4th leap early, going through everything stated above.  I thought adding the MOTN feeding etc was another growth spurt even though we did that at 11-12 weeks.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DD has always spit up quite a bit, but that's increased for us too. You ladies are giving me hope that this might be part of her leap and she'll go back to only spitting up after she eats instead of all day long.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • According to the app, we started yesterday. So far I haven't noticed any changed yet but we were already getting up at least 3x a night which I'm used to. She is a lot more squirmy today while eating though which can result in niplash or constantly unlatching so that's been frustrating. I'm hoping that's not from the leap because I don't know how I could deal with that for five weeks!

• LO is normally really laid back, but she's been wanting to be held all day, not sleeping as well, spitting up a ton, etc. for the past week. But she just rolled over tonight, and she did it twice in a row! So that makes up for it at least.

• pshaortao said:

According to the app, we started yesterday. So far I haven't noticed any changed yet but we were already getting up at least 3x a night which I'm used to. She is a lot more squirmy today while eating though which can result in niplash or constantly unlatching so that's been frustrating. I'm hoping that's not from the leap because I don't know how I could deal with that for five weeks!

Niplash--that's perfect!

• Yes and I can't wait for it to be done. I was so proud of him STTN but now he wakes up once at 3-4 and at 7ish and is up for the day at 9.
    Together since: 1/19/09 Married: 3/14/09 Newest addition added: 9/7/14
  • rebennett06rebennett06 member
    edited December 2014
    We were sttn over here, now he is up every hour because he wants his pacifier. Seriously? I'm loving the talking, giggles, and rolling over, but i really need some sleep.
  • The 4th leap can suck it. I want my happy baby back.

• If we are in the 4th leap it is unfairly early at a few days shy of 14 weeks but I'm currently enjoying waking up every 1.5 to 2 hours tonight and it sucks! She wakes up screaming bloody murder and has to eat every time. I'm so tired.
  • Omg... Just started today. LO was already going to bed later than I wanted and waking up 2-3 times. Tonight we got one almost 3 hour stretch and has been awake almost ever 45-60 mins since. He slept crappy last night too. I'm so tired, I don't know how I'm going to make it through this. Ugh.
  • @trebekastan‌ bitter much?

It's a thread about the frustration about the 4th leap and the sometimes simultaneous sleep regression.

Regression - moving backwards. It sucks that you've had to deal with 2 hour wakeups for the duration, but some of us haven't. It can suck just as much going from a set routine suddenly and trying to adjust again.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • You all can suck it up and quit whining. I have been feeding him every 2 hours round the clock since he was born. Seriously? You've been sttn and now you have to get up for s feeding. Gasp. This thread is a fucking joke.

This. Exactly.
  • pbeckaroo35pbeckaroo35 member
    edited December 2014
    I'm coming from the sttn angle. My lo started sttn at the end of October. He also dropped any nap longer than 15 minutes at the same time and started nursing every hour. He rounds out the day with around 2 hours of over tired screaming and cluster feeding. I'm so exhausted by the time I get him down that I typically fall asleep pretty soon after. So yeah, I sleep for 6 hours straight at night but the other 18 I go nonstop.

My point? Sometimes sttn brings on a different kind of exhaustion just like having a lo that wakes every 2 hours.

Edited for clarity

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Who are you?

BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• Who are you?

Just a ftm with a September baby on a forum offering a different perspective.

I was on here a bit more mid to late pregnancy and posted mostly on AMA posts.

I only post when I feel like I have something to add to the discussion.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • For those of us whose babies weren't sleeping through the night to begin with I feel like a little complaining about it declining to more often wakeups is fair. Not so much on the almost humblebrag about a baby who sleeps through the night still and is now more clingy. I'd take clingy and even 6 hours of sleep in a row any day over waking up every 1.5 to 2 and then having a baby that doesn't want to go back to sleep.
  • @Vavavictoria‌

For those of us whose babies weren't sleeping through the night to begin with I feel like a little complaining about it declining to more often wakeups is fair. Not so much on the almost humblebrag about a baby who sleeps through the night still and is now more clingy. I'd take clingy and even 6 hours of sleep in a row any day over waking up every 1.5 to 2 and then having a baby that doesn't want to go back to sleep.

That's my point. We all have a different version of what is tougher for us to handle. I'm fine with clingy.

Definitely not a humblebrag. I would gladly go back to every 2 hour wakeups if we could drop the nightly scream fest.

For me hours of screaming and crying every night is worse on me than waking every couple hours.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • You're assuming that those of us with every 2 hour wakeups don't also have the nightly scream fest. You know what they say about assuming...

So your saying we're both asses? ;)

My intention was not to imply anything. Definitely not to bragplaint. Honestly just to bring a different side.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Vavavictoria‌

For those of us whose babies weren't sleeping through the night to begin with I feel like a little complaining about it declining to more often wakeups is fair. Not so much on the almost humblebrag about a baby who sleeps through the night still and is now more clingy. I'd take clingy and even 6 hours of sleep in a row any day over waking up every 1.5 to 2 and then having a baby that doesn't want to go back to sleep.

That's my point. We all have a different version of what is tougher for us to handle. I'm fine with clingy.

Definitely not a humblebrag. I would gladly go back to every 2 hour wakeups if we could drop the nightly scream fest.

For me hours of screaming and crying every night is worse on me than waking every couple hours.
    You're assuming that those of us with every 2 hour wakeups don't also have the nightly scream fest. You know what they say about assuming...
    Yup. We get 20 min naps and screaming from 4-7 every night.

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @trebekastan‌ that sounds awful. I hope your LO takes pity on you soon. I think I'd lose it of I had the witching hours still on top of no sleep.

@pbeckaroo35‌ my comment was due to another poster. It's a little thoughtless to come on here and read a bunch of posts from women saying they are miserable and aren't sleeping and to then say "oh no my baby still sleeps all night long but they are getting a little clingy" there are definitely many different situations/perspectives but that comment just wasn't thought through.
  • I'm coming from the sttn angle. My lo started sttn at the end of October. He also dropped any nap longer than 15 minutes at the same time and started nursing every hour. He rounds out the day with around 2 hours of over tired screaming and cluster feeding. I'm so exhausted by the time I get him down that I typically fall asleep pretty soon after. So yeah, I sleep for 6 hours straight at night but the other 18 I go nonstop.

My point? Sometimes sttn brings on a different kind of exhaustion just like having a lo that wakes every 2 hours.

Edited for clarity

Yea no I'd still take the six hours straight rather than not even being able to sleep because you little one has to wake up in an hour or will wake up in an hour.
    Finally! My September Siggy Challenge: TV Show I'll Be Binge Watching
    REVENGE!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic"

• I'm still confused/sad to learn that STTN means 6 hours. I need more than 5.5 hours of sleep!

Pregnancy Ticker

• @paloma760‌ - ALL. OF. THIS! Sorry it kinda made me giggle, but I'm feeling the exact same way. Lol. I've found that the K'tan helps us get shit done, no needing to use just one hand to unload the dishwasher anymore. Also, you can put LO's head in the wrap so when you're bending over to get the dishes you don't have to worry about his neck snapping backwards. Oh, and you can shit while wearing.  :))

Edit: typed name wrong

haha!! yeah, I have been interested in baby-wearing since before babe was born. but I'm a little intimidated. there is a baby-wearing support group in town that holds meetings. I'm definitely hitting up the next one next week.

• my daughter started that a few weeks ago. last night she woke up screaming at least every hour then at 3am she woke up and stayed up til 5am. I had to be up by 7 ughhh. I'm glad I seen this because I was getting worried
  • dal2ausdal2aus member
    edited January 2015
    paloma760 said:
    haha!! yeah, I have been interested in baby-wearing since before babe was born. but I'm a little intimidated. there is a baby-wearing support group in town that holds meetings. I'm definitely hitting up the next one next week.

Go directly to the baby-wearing group.  Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.  I have a K'Tan, too and it changed my life.  I have twins, so I'm still not as productive as my pre-baby self, but at least I'm able to do chores with the fussy baby while the calm baby chills on his mat.

Edit - quote fail. 

• My lo is sleeping all day pretty much at the sitters then up all night. Again this just started a few weeks back
  • I am so happy I stumbled upon this discussion. (I am going to ignore the drama). I was wondering why my LO started waking every couple of hours to eat again after finally STTN. He also will only nap when I am holding him. My poor DH gets frustrated because he won't nap for him at all. Any who, I forgot about the whole leap thing!!!! Thanks you guys for bringing it up and sharing my frustration!!
  • For those of you out of this leap, how long did it last. We are in for a little less than a week so far and it's getting worse each night still. Of course it's paired with a cough and cold so not sure which is making her up so often.
  • mana8503mana8503 member
    edited January 2015
    @bks807 the app says 5 weeks. We started before Christmas still going.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"