June 2013 Moms
Options

Dessert for Christmas dinner?

So I am suddenly hosting all meals on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. There will only be 5 of us, but I'm a little stressed by the short notice of it all. I am totally blanking on what to serve for dessert on Christmas. We are having ham as the center of the meal. Suggestions?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Dessert for Christmas dinner?

• Options
    An easy one that's always a hit around here is a fruit trifle. I have a more complicated recipe that properly layers ladyfingers, fruit and a mascarpone mixture, but when I've already got a lot on my plate I simply do layers of torn-up angel food cake (homemade or store-bought), berries (whatever you like, or a mixture of several) and homemade whipped cream (I never find store-bought tastes as good in this). I like to set my berries out for a bit and sprinkle them with a little sugar to bring the juices out,this way the berry juices soak into the cake pieces. Just layer everything in a trifle dish or a pretty clear bowl until you've filled it up. Finish the top off with extra whipped cream and decorate with a few not-too-juicy berries.
    div style="text-align: center;">

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    daffy2k said:
    An easy one that's always a hit around here is a fruit trifle. I have a more complicated recipe that properly layers ladyfingers, fruit and a mascarpone mixture, but when I've already got a lot on my plate I simply do layers of torn-up angel food cake (homemade or store-bought), berries (whatever you like, or a mixture of several) and homemade whipped cream (I never find store-bought tastes as good in this). I like to set my berries out for a bit and sprinkle them with a little sugar to bring the juices out,this way the berry juices soak into the cake pieces. Just layer everything in a trifle dish or a pretty clear bowl until you've filled it up. Finish the top off with extra whipped cream and decorate with a few not-too-juicy berries.
    My trifle is rather similar, but once you've put in the pound cake (which I cube), I add in a bit of fruit preserves (whatever complements your fruit of choice), some sherry (woo!), and then pour jello in and let that set.  So jello/poundcake/fruit preserves are the bottom layer (can make well ahead), a layer of custard on top of that, and layer of fresh whipped cream last thing with some finely grated chocolate on top.  Nom nom.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • Options
    Cricket81Cricket81 member
    edited December 2014
    Thanks for all the ideas, ladies.  I got the stuff for the peppermint pie (thanks @chewbaccarock) because it's easy and stuff that if I don't use it for xmas, I'll use it another time.  I might get more motivated to actually bake something before Thursday, but it seems unlikely.

ETA: they all sound delicious, and I might have to make some of them later in the week when I have more time!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    @musicalsilver my usual recipe includes the sherry too, I've never actually thought to add it to this one. I made this angel food one up on a whim when I was short on time and it came together so nicely I use it more often now. I bet a little sherry added would send it over the top! (I use pound cake in my other recipe because I can never find good ladyfingers in town and have never taken the time to make them, but I actually now really like then lightness of the angel food cake, so I might keep it even if I make the mascarpone one this year)
    div style="text-align: center;">

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"