Working Moms

What are you serving for Christmas dinner?

We are hosting Christmas dinner this year and we have 13 adults plus 2 children.  I'm thinking of serving turkey, roast beef, mashed potatoes, green beans, bruseel sprouts, and sautee mushrooms.  Do you think that's enough food?  Any ideas on what else I could do?  I'll be doing all of the cooking.

Re: What are you serving for Christmas dinner?

• edited December 2014

I'm not really connecting with the idea that you are doing all the cooking yourself. In our family, bigger dinners like that, people bring food. Good for you though.

Whether it's enough food is going to be based on quantity I would think. I think you're fine, particularly if you are cooking everything yourself. Geeze.

Oh maybe a dessert - pie or something.

ETA: Just to clarify, I really do mean good for you!! I couldn't do it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

• shannmshannm member
    edited December 2014
    Beef tenderloin with port and chocolate sauce. Petite potatoes and green beans. Just the four of us.

I think your menu sounds like enough but if it were me, I would do a large brisket and have other people bring sides.
  • Loading the player...
  • That sounds like plenty to me. If you want to add things that are not a lot of work to prepare, you can add a salad and pick up some pie for dessert. 

My family's pot luck menu for 10 adults and 9 kids is turkey, ribs, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, deviled eggs, stuffing, salad, sweet potato casserole, creamed corn and dessert. It's a pot luck with 5 families though so each family is preparing 1-2 dishes. 

• Dang. That's a lot of work. 
    Sounds like a lovely menu. Whether it's enough is really about how much you make...
    Agree with PPs about adding a salad and a dessert.

All of that said, we order out. 
    We are picking up a full turkey dinner and a full ham dinner from a nearby resort.  It includes everything and it's delicious.  And no one has to cook!  We do this every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
    (please note: I can't cook and I don't enjoy trying... high five to you if you do, it's just not my thing.)
  • I wish I could rely on DH's family to help out.  But experience from years' past has shown that if I rely on them to bring anything, they would just be super late to dinner, then the turkey gets dry, etc. It's just much easier if I did it myself.  My in-laws do take DS for the afternoon so that I can concentrate on cooking.
  • We alternate periodically---this year we will be having beef tenderloin, roasted red skin potatoes, sauteed green beans, rolls and cheesecake for dessert. I know people that make a turkey thanksgiving dinner and others that do lasagna and salad. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Sounds great to me. I'm the only person in the family who cooks. We are doing a turkey breast, Brussels sprouts, potatoes, stuffing, carrots, and a chocolate pound cake. But there are only 6 of us. Portions will make the difference for you. I think you have great variety.

On another note, I wanted to do fajitas and margaritas. DH got whiny, so we are back to Thanksgiving redux. Gggrrrr.
  • Christmas Eve is just me and the kids. DH is working. So I'm doing make your own pita bread pizzas. Lol.

We will have a fancy brunch at my parents house Christmas morning. French toast, fruit salad, sausages and mimosas.
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• The meals on Christmas are my absolute favorite of the whole year.

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, fresh fruit, pastries, coffee, mimosas.

Dinner: Standing rib roast, garlic mashed potatoes, rolls, salad, cheesecake.

• Sounds good.

I typically host Christmas dinner and do a turkey (we get a free coupon from my brother), dressing, mashed potatoes, green beans, and rolls. Then we have desserts. I make everything for about a dozen people. My in-laws will usually bring a dessert dish. If my in-laws host (which they have said they would but they host Thanksgiving), they order everything from a meat market and while that is okay, my cooking is better and I'd rather have my cooking and so would they.

• We went out for Spanish tapas. I loved not cooking.

imageLilypie First Birthday tickersimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"