Babies: 0 - 3 Months

TONS of spit up - help!

Our 5 week old spits up a LOT and is very gassy. We have tried everything I and our doctor can think of at this point - slow flow nipples; upright feeding position; burping after each ounce; gripe water; simethicone; nothing seems to work and he is constantly uncomfortable and constantly eating (presumably because he spits up so much). He sleeps with a wedge for reflux and still squirms and grunts all night. Any advice?? Please???

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: TONS of spit up - help!

• I had a major spit up problem.  Letting him sleep in a mamaroo might help, it did for me.
  • Doctor doesn't think it's reflux because he doesn't seem to be bothered by the spit up. It just pours out if his mouth, sometimes 30-40 minutes after eating and burping.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • If he's uncomfortable then he is bothered by the spitting up right? Is he arching his back? Does he go stiff and is difficult to relax? These are major signs of reflux.

My DS had reflux and it is very difficult. He slept in a swing until 7 mos because it was the only way he was comfortable. We also had to keep him upright after feedings, burp more frequently. I would ask about other formula options (I breastfed so not sure on this). If there is no improvement talk meds. DS started Zantac at 2 weeks and then switched to Prevacid where he finally seemed to improve. It was a long first few months for us. Good luck.
  • If you are breastfeeding you could try adjusting your diet. Going with more bland and/or fresh foods. A friend of mine had this problem. Her DD was eventually diagnosed with FPIES. She was able to continue breastfeeding just on a stricter diet. My DD had this problem while I was trying to breastfeed. She would projectile vomit. We thought it was severe reflux. We switched to an added rice formula and noticed a huge difference within a day. All of her symptoms gradually subsided. She began sleeping through the night at 2 months. I would say, though, that if you switch to an Added Rice formula you will want to add something to soften stools. We used corn syrup in every other bottle. 
  • I would get a second opinion. My DS had the same issues and was diagnosed with acid reflux. My DS didn't seem to be bothered by it either and his weight gain was good but would spit up at least half his bottle. He is now on baby zantac and rice cereal mixed in bottle (per Dr recommendation) and does much better.
  • ds#1 was a "happy spitter".  It didn't seem to both him, but it would literally pour right out of him all day long.  We ended up trying soy....didn't work.  Then we ended up on alimentum which improved the spit-up.

ds#2 had colic, extreme spit-up and cried ALLLLL the time.  After trying everything, we found out he had a milk protein allergy.  He ended up going on Neocate and was much happier.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• My baby boy is a happy spitter as well. His pedi said if necessary, I could add oatmeal to his bottles to thicken up the milk. The pedi also said to just give it time. It should peak around 2 months and then slowly get better about 4 months.
  • we BF, but had the same issue at 5 weeks. just constant spit up. Eventually it just went away. The thing about this young age, is situations change so much even in 2 days. Get a second opinion but also it might get better.
    TTC since June 2011
    DH: perfect SA
    Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
    IUI or IVF in December

• Same prob - bub is 8wks and has reflux. Doc has said to avoid medicatin for now. we hold him upright or prop him up against a pillow for 15 minutes after each feed. He is both bf and bottle fed. Do you have a fast letdown? If so, my l/c suggested might be worth leaning back when feeding so that baby is almost on top of you and doesnt need to gulp down milk. For bottle, we changed the angle so that he gets his milk more slowly. He also sleeps with head slightly elevated - can use a baby pillow under his sheet or roll up a towel and put it under his mattress (head end). This has helped things for us though we still have bad days when he is grunting and arching his back and nothing seems to help! Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"